cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to register my new vehicle...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on the road for 10 years (full-timer no other home) and have lived the last 1 1/2 years in Oregon. I am self employed with an Internet business, have my residency in Montana (friend's address), My truck has permanent registration in MT and I just bought an old Subaru here for road trips, from a friend who just moved here from New Mexico. The Subaru's registered in New Mexico. I have the title two weeks to figure out where to register it. Montana requires that the 1st registration after a transfer of title is done in person. Do I have to have the vehicle with me? And if I register it in Oregon will I have to have an Oregon license? And if I have an Oregon license will I have to file taxes in Oregon rather than Montana? Is there any disadvantage to that? Seems like things are just cheaper in Montana in general. Can I get permanent tags in Oregon? Will I have to change the registration on the truck if I change my driver's license? The car was cheap but this is all getting very complicated. But it has been wonderful to drive a Subaru again after so many years in the truck. Saving me a lot on gas too.

At some point in the next 5 years I may put my rig and storage part of the year and live overseas and have someone else run my Internet business. What would make the most sense? I don't plan to buy any new vehicles in the next several years. I just kind of wanted to get permanent registration on both vehicles so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore. Can I get permanent registration in Oregon? When I am not overseas I will be living somewhere on the West Coast. WA, OR, or CA.

Thanks much...
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
troubledwaters wrote:
What address do you use to file your income tax. That is your domicile. That is where you need to register your vehicle.

Not necessarily, depending on the situation.
The answer is, with a couple easy supporting documents (like a utility bill with an address in the state youwant to register in) you can virtually register your vehicles wherever you want.
By virtue of the fact that you typically are required by law to register in a state you โ€œmove toโ€ before you actually qualify as a resident.
It may seem confusing .....because it is. But people do it all the time. Summer home somewhere, vehicle left there is registered in that state even though the owners residence is else where.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you are asking the wrong 'EXPERTS' by putting the questions here. It may have a bigger impact due to the internet business and where you are filing Federal and State taxes. You may want to talk to a 'TAX EXPERT" instead of us.

Good luck in your attempt to save money.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
What address do you use to file your income tax. That is your domicile. That is where you need to register your vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And you'd be hard pressed for the cops to give 2 schitts about what state your license plates are from. Maaaaybe in a 1 horse town the local Barney might care, but all you need is a plausible story.
I used to get pulled over my fair share. Wasn't uncommon to have DL, plates and address on insurance card from 3 different states. We moved a lot. Never got a ticket, only a couple questions.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Slow down there cannnesedo.
Half your questions are for the DMV, the others are, well, idk.
What I do know is, it's not a big deal. And I've registered or titled and registered vehicles in several states that I was not a resident of, and did not have a drivers license in. Heck, I've had 2 or 3 valid drivers licenses at the same time as well. Still do.
Residency is not the same as domicile. And there's not a comprehensive national car registration system of checks and balances. Each state is pretty separate from others in my experience.
Just go title and register the car.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to be driving the truck here anymore anyway...until I leave.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
And a lot of parks have their own mailboxes...I don't consider myself a resident just because the park has a mailbox for me. I don't know of anyone who changes the plates on their vehicles when they are nomadic and constantly changing how long they stay in different places.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like RVs are different. I live on wheels. My rv park happens to have mailboxes for monthly residents but I have no lease. I'm just taking a breather... I don't plan to live here permanently. I don't own any property anywhere. I lived in Arizona most of the year for four years...I've lived in a lot of places.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
i am really surprised some one has not turned you in for you montana tags here in oregon, having an address and mailbox qualify you as an oregon resident.

no, no, no, and no again!!!!!! depends on how LONG each year you stay in Oregon and a few other things.

note the statement OWNING PROPERTY IN OREGON DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN YOU ARE A RESIDENT. Same if you rent!!!

Am I a Resident of Oregon?
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions you may be eligible to register your vehicle in Oregon and/or get a driver license or ID card:

Do I stay in Oregon continuously for at least six months each year?
Are my children in an Oregon public school where I don't pay nonresident tuition?
Do I pay Oregon resident tuition at a public university or college?
Have I declared myself a resident of Oregon to get a state license (other than an Oregon Driver License) at resident rates?
Does my military record list Oregon as my home of record?
Do I pay resident income taxes to the state of Oregon?
Note: Owning property in Oregon doesn't necessarily mean that you are a resident of Oregon.

Vehicle Registration
When you register or renew your vehicle registration you must certify:

You are a resident of or live in Oregon; or
You are eligible, or required, to register under Oregon law.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i am really surprised some one has not turned you in for you montana tags here in oregon, having an address and mailbox qualify you as an oregon resident.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The citizens of Oregon get to set their vehicle registration fees as they see fit.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a street address and a mailbox here in Oregon. To register in MT and transfer the title in MT my understanding is that I have to be there, with the car in MT. And my address there is in the far NE corner of the state.

I'm surprised at the price of transfering title and registering in OR. About $250 total, for a $300 car.. phff...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Work out the liability insurance before you register.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible to own two vehicles registered in different states. People whose principle home is in the Northeast, but own a winter place in Florida, frequently leave a second car with Florida plates in Florida, for example.

But note that they actually have addresses in both places.

If you want to register a car in Oregon, you will need to come up with an Oregon address that is acceptable to the Oregon DMV. Many states will NOT accept a PMB or Post Office Box. You will need, as mentioned, to go online and research Oregon's requirements for registering a car.

Honestly, it's probably going to be easiest to register it in Montana, using your already established address.