cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why no rating for a campground

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Why would a campground not have a rating on Good Sam travel planner ?
It is not a new campground

OP here

I said "rating" not review - ratings are done by inspectors and Good Sam
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks
14 REPLIES 14

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know GS still published a cg guide. Kind of a dinosaur, isn't it? People still buy it?
www.putt10.net

Good_Sam_Networ
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Good Sam Network wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

OP here

Hi rr2254545,

There could be several reasons why a park may not have a rating (it being a public or new park are a few examples). If you can provide the park name, I can look into this further and let you know why it has no ratings.

Thank you!
MaryEllen
Good Sam Park Network

Thanks
Waldport / Newport KOA Waldport Oregon
Pleasant Valley Campground in Tillamook Oregon

Hi rr2254545 - I was able to find Newport KOA on the Trip Planner and I'm showing it's rated 8.5/8.5/9. I'm not sure why the ratings are not showing up for you. PM me if you want to research that further, but the ratings for this park are showing up for me.

As for Pleasant Valley RV Park, this park was deleted from the directory in 2017, per the owners request, and so the park is no longer listed in the Trip Planner. I'm wondering if this was a saved park from a previous trip? If so, that might explain why it's still showing up for you but without the ratings.

Thank you for using the Trip Planner on the Good Sam Club website.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Network wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

OP here

Hi rr2254545,

There could be several reasons why a park may not have a rating (it being a public or new park are a few examples). If you can provide the park name, I can look into this further and let you know why it has no ratings.

Thank you!
MaryEllen
Good Sam Park Network

Thanks
Waldport / Newport KOA Waldport Oregon
Pleasant Valley Campground in Tillamook Oregon
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Good_Sam_Networ
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

OP here

Hi rr2254545,

Thank you!
MaryEllen
Good Sam Park Network

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
There are certain requirements for a park to be rated. And the owner has the right to just refuse to allow the inspector to view and rate the park. I know there are many park owners that don't agree with the rating criteria. I take exception to several of them myself.
It isn't a big leap to just say "NO" to the entire Good Sam rating system if the park in question doesn't fit into what Good Sam feels should be in a highly rated park. For example, a very nice park in the woods, without any recreation, laundry, wifi, fencing, lighted sign, or pool. That only has gravel roads and gravel pads and has a bath house with drywall, exposed piping and concrete flooring could very well have a rating something like 5/7*/5. On a one to ten scale, Those would be failing marks in school. It isn't hard to see where an owner might feel he would be better off unrated in such a circumstance.

Thanks for your reply
2014 Jeep Cherokee

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
There are certain requirements for a park to be rated. And the owner has the right to just refuse to allow the inspector to view and rate the park. I know there are many park owners that don't agree with the rating criteria. I take exception to several of them myself.
It isn't a big leap to just say "NO" to the entire Good Sam rating system if the park in question doesn't fit into what Good Sam feels should be in a highly rated park. For example, a very nice park in the woods, without any recreation, laundry, wifi, fencing, lighted sign, or pool. That only has gravel roads and gravel pads and has a bath house with drywall, exposed piping and concrete flooring could very well have a rating something like 5/7*/5. On a one to ten scale, Those would be failing marks in school. It isn't hard to see where an owner might feel he would be better off unrated in such a circumstance.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I said "rating" not reviews
2014 Jeep Cherokee

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I've seen parks with 2 reviews; one good, one bad. The goos is probably from the campground owner, the bad is most likely from his nearest competitor.

That's why the ratings don't mean a whole lot to me..

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
A wise camper wouldn't rate his favorite nice quiet not crowded campground in any publication.

Yes, the old "ladder up" theory. I'm in the lifeboat, pull that ladder up.

I've considered this, but then I realized that what I like in a campground will probably only apply to a small group of RVers.

I use RVParkReviews almost exclusively to figure out where I want to stay. I'm happy to say that for the most part the reviews are fair and accurate. The greater the number of reviews, the more comfortable I am the the rating. I've seen parks with 2 reviews; one good, one bad. The goos is probably from the campground owner, the bad is most likely from his nearest competitor.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
A wise camper wouldn't rate his favorite nice quiet not crowded campground in any publication.

^^^ Agree.... plus, will never tell you the best spots to go either,or else the next time he wants to go, it will be occupied.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Someone has to be the first to submit a rating, why not you?
To me, the ratings do not mean a whole lot.
My idea and your idea of something good or bad may be the same or miles apart.

Since the CG has no ratings, it may mean it is average with nothing to complain about either way.
If it's on your route, try it. Even a bad CG is (usually) better than a Walmart or highway rest stop.
If it's bad, submit a rating.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Because nobody willing to review it has stayed there. Maybe because itโ€™s a terrible place? Maybe because itโ€™s just not on โ€œthe beaten path?โ€ Perhaps โ€œthe camping godsโ€ are trying to get YOU to stay there and write that review?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm...I would guess because nobody has rated it yet. Perhaps it's just not a popular campground with God Sam travel planner users who are apt to rate things.