cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why no TT's that fully supports their own weight.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Like four wheeled farm trailers. Many trucks have huge towing capacity with limited payload so a four wheeled fully supported trailer is often the only way (weigh? ๐Ÿ˜‰ you could use all that towing 'capacity'.

Increased cost is an obvious downside, however I would think the additional cost in larger TT would not be a huge bump.

Is handling an issue perhaps?

Other reasons I'm not considering? For all I know there are some out there, I tried searching but as soon as you put 'trailer' in a search the first bajillion pages are RV dealers with the normal inventory.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT
24 REPLIES 24

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
braindead0 wrote:
Many trucks have huge towing capacity with limited payload so a four wheeled fully supported trailer is often the only way (weigh? ๐Ÿ˜‰ you could use all that towing 'capacity'.

Towing a load is one thing, steering, stopping and keeping it under control is a whole different matter.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
irishtom29 wrote:
The long long trailer used a Slimp wheel.

Thanks! I see there were a few manufacturers of them. Here's a short vid demonstrating how they work. Slimp wheel in action.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
The long long trailer used a Slimp wheel.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
If it comes down to need, none of us NEED any RV. It's a matter of what we want. :@

The more choices the better. Something for everybody within their own price range too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fine with way they are now. Now need to up the price another 5grand on something not needed
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Great minds think alike! I have the DVD and copied these into still photos on my computer:

Cool! Great movie. I've seen a few photos of the vintage hitch helper in the past but don't know what they called it to google it. Not sure how commonly used it was.
This is now a 'Long Trailer' thread ;-)..

Watched that with my wife before we ever had a TT... to this day she remembers Lucy making salad in the trailer while on the road...flinging ingredients everywhere... classic.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

Great minds think alike! I have the DVD and copied these into still photos on my computer:

Cool! Great movie. I've seen a few photos of the vintage hitch helper in the past but don't know what they called it to google it. Not sure how commonly used it was.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Good find Famerjon. That guy seems to be towing with a bus, weight of the bus may play a huge factor in overall stability.

I didn't turn up manufacturer page or other info, this may be a custom job of sorts.

I think that answers my question though....
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
I found this.
Link

trailer built by Competive Trailer in California that has a steerable front axle. The nice thing is it can be backed very easily. When you put TV in reverse a relay operates a hydraulic motor that rotates the front axle and puts reverse caster in the axle.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
You can buy a "hitch helper" like in 1st photo. Back in the 50s, they had a similar device but was mounted to the A-frame - can't find a closeup shot of it at the moment but the 2nd photo shows it in use (from The Long, Long Trailer). Have to wonder what it would have been like towing a long, long trailer with that hitch helper on some of the narrow, steep and twisty roads in Ca. with a car with soft suspension.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
So I think the answer is that it could be done. However doing so safely (properly engineering trailer) and providing features necessary to make backing feasible would likely be cost prohibitive. This is just curiosity on my part, we don't need more TT, our setup is well withing our TV ratings...

I was reading yet another thread where people show up with the misconception that 'tow rating' is the only number they need to look at. What would make tow rating a meaningful number for your average person? The only scenario I could think of would be if you were towing another vehicle 4 down... *or* if TT's were carrying their weight fully.

I'll reiterate again for those posting in this thread that seem to fail to comprehend interest outside of need. My TT is well within TV payload, tow rating, axle rating, etc.. and I'm not looking for ways to get more TT.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may have something to do with the semi trucks that pull those types of trailers, the nickname is "Wiggle Waggles". The trailers that I've noticed with wheels at all four corners seem to move around an inordinate amount. Not anything I would care to tow behind me.

However backing one would be an easily fixed issue. You could have a mechanism that locked the hitch so it wouldn't pivot at the ball when backing up. Then you only have one pivot point.

If you're seriously overloaded a better solution might be one of those add-on 5th wheel hitches that mount behind the truck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy a "hitch helper" like in 1st photo. Back in the 50s, they had a similar device but was mounted to the A-frame - can't find a closeup shot of it at the moment but the 2nd photo shows it in use (from The Long, Long Trailer). Have to wonder what it would have been like towing a long, long trailer with that hitch helper on some of the narrow, steep and twisty roads in Ca. with a car with soft suspension.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Doh.. Wagon.. didn't think to search for that...

I'm just curious about why 'Travel Wagons' aren't really a thing. I think backing it likely the biggest issue and it could also be costly to engineer a wagon arrangement to be stable at speed.
2013 Econ 16RB TT