cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring for 2014 CRV

Larryr201
Explorer
Explorer
I have never set up or used toad before so I find myself on unfamiliar territory. As I understand it I have option to use kit that has Diodes that use Honda tail lights or I can purchase kit that has sockets & bulbs. Since I recently retired, I have more time than money so I'm going to install myself. The tow vehicle is 14' Honda CRV. I purchased BlueOx baseplate, Alpha tow bar and for braking I purchased RVI-2 system. Any input/ information would be much appreciated.
thanks, Larry
Larryr
8 REPLIES 8

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a very simple system from Demco that involved plugging a module into the Honda CRV wiring harness! Hardest part was getting the interior panel off behind the rear seats!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Larryr201 wrote:
Scott, thanks again for the advice. Given the fact that this is all new to me I believe that the prewired harness with the diodes would be best for me. There is 1 thing with harness that I'm not sure about. Why does the Harness have 4 pin connection and connecting to RV is 7.
Larry

Larry,
The most basic of toad lighting is the same for everyone. And that utilizes only four wires. Typically:

1. Tail/marker (aka "Running lights")
2. Right turn/brake
3. Left turn/brake
4. Ground.

That's the primary four needed for any toad.

The 7 pin setup in about 99.99% of the RVs out there consist of:

1. Tail/marker
2. Right turn/brake
3. Left turn/brake
4. Ground
5. 12VDC + wire for charging toad batteries, trailer batteries, etc.
6. Back-up (for backup lights on trailers)
7 Electric brake wire (typically for magnetic trailer brakes on various trailers

Hope this helps some.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Larryr201
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, thanks again for the advice. Given the fact that this is all new to me I believe that the prewired harness with the diodes would be best for me. There is 1 thing with harness that I'm not sure about. Why does the Harness have 4 pin connection and connecting to RV is 7.
Larry
Larryr

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Larryr201 wrote:
I saw the other post and printed the wiring diagram(thanks) Definitely using the Diode method and NOT going to use the socket & Bulb setup. What I was leaning towards before your reply to my post was the Hopkins kit #56304 (E-trailer had installation video specific to my 14' CRV) and the Roadmaster #88400 Brake-lite relay

Larry,
I don't fault you for leaning towards using a factory setup harness like the Hopkins. As stated, I did my own diode thing for years and years but, we recently purchased a 2015 Jeep JKUR and I found out there was a Hopkins harness for those. So, I looked into it. Well, I was impressed and, purchased one. It's been in there for almost a year now and, couldn't be happier. But, up until this recent discovery, I set up my own diode system on all my toads, just like what you see in the diagram.
The main difference in the diagram and what I've done for many, is the Tail Light Converter is not used in many of the toads I've done. It's only needed when the toad has AMBER turn signals.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Larryr201
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the other post and printed the wiring diagram(thanks) Definitely using the Diode method and NOT going to use the socket & Bulb setup. What I was leaning towards before your reply to my post was the Hopkins kit #56304 (E-trailer had installation video specific to my 14' CRV) and the Roadmaster #88400 Brake-lite relay
Larryr

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
OP,
I answered you on your other posts. Wiring with diodes, whether they're in fancy packages (i.e. The kits from RV stores and Camping World etc,) DOESN'T cause any issues, that is if you have a basic knowledge of 12VDC electricity. Why folks think their car's going to go up in smoke if they go the diode route is beyond me. I've only done to maybe 20 - 30 vehicles, pretty sure none have burnt to the ground.

Everyone's got to work to their limits, (Sorta like a Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" statement) so, if you're not comfortable cutting a wire and installing a diode, well, then you better drill some holes and run extra bulbs. Your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I wired mine into the wiring with diodes. Its a lot more work. If I was to do another vehicle wiring I would go with the additional bulbs and wires separately....Far less issues.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the socket and bulbs. Works good. No cutting into factory wiring. RV dealer installed mine.
I helped my friend install the diode kit on his vehicle. It works fine too.

I prefer the separate socket and bulb kit. I think it is easier to troubleshoot and repair, and doesn't disturb the factory wiring.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter