cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you like

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I spend quite a bit of time on this site answer my share of questions for over 10 years. wouldn't it be nice if when we answer some ones questions and take our time to do it, if they came back to tell us how they made out and if we helped them. Instead od never hearing from them again until they have another problem?
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

27 REPLIES 27

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
... Givers don't usually give with the expectation of getting something back.

This. Also, takers often take with no expectation of giving something back.
I don't expect fireworks and a steak dinner for answering someone's question (if, by some miracle I actually do correctly answer a question), but it is nice to get a thank you. More importantly, their final results of using/not using suggestions may be useful to others that have a similiar situation in the future. What a resource that would be. Although, if everybody found an answer by doing a forum search, the forum wouldn't be a forum. It'd be a database. Where's the fun in that?
I read a quote a few weeks ago that's stuck in my head. I think it was on a bicycle forum. It doesn't really apply so much here, but I thought it was both hilarious and sad. Paraphrasing:
"I have a magic box that contains the wealth of the whole World's knowledge, but I use it to look at pictures of cats and to argue with strangers."
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
PET PEEVE. Great idea!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of times people ask a question and get all kinds of unsolicited advice. A few regulars on here like to just keep adding to these off topic answers, by piling on their off topic opinions/assumptions to the top of the heap. I don't blame OPs for not coming back.

I belong to some techinical forums where you gain reputation for having the correct answer - your answer being marked as The Answer by the OP. There is no such contest on here.

Somebody also stated that there are givers and takers. Givers don't usually give with the expectation of getting something back.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
:S here we go again ๐Ÿ™‚

Mods---we need a PET PEEVE subcategory please :R

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time on this site answer my share of questions for over 10 years. wouldn't it be nice if when we answer some ones questions and take our time to do it, if they came back to tell us how they made out and if we helped them. Instead od never hearing from them again until they have another problem?
I find it interesting that the op expects a response from a poster that has a question that there is no response and finds it offensive or somehow not proper etiquette! There are 3 pages of replies to VET Man's post and as of 11:05 PM and he has not acknowledged if his question was answered or not! Or if his issue is solved! The op posted at 9:41 AM. I like to hear if my answer to a post helped someone resolve an issue. Or if I contributed in some way. I don't lose sleep if I don't get an acknowledgement one way or the other! There is another side to this etiquette. It involves a response that belittles the poster because for whatever reason, it has been hashed over before or the reply is you cant do it or don't be on the road when I'm on it because your not safe etc. A little common courtesy goes both ways. Do we really need our egos stroked because someone was helped by our response?

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Don't care. If they've taken my advice, that's fine. If not, it must not have been what they needed or wanted to hear. Sure, being polite is nice but if they don't say "thank you" it doesn't change my opinion of them.

And maybe as importantly is that the OP posted his question in a courteous manner and certainly after doing a search of the many hundreds of thousands of threads and the many years of postings to find an answer similar to what they were looking for.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't care. If they've taken my advice, that's fine. If not, it must not have been what they needed or wanted to hear. Sure, being polite is nice but if they don't say "thank you" it doesn't change my opinion of them.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyB wrote:
I always change my POST TITTLE showing problem resolved when I have asked a question and resolved my problem...

I too usually get responce VIA PM when my comments helped someone... I mention the PM in my profile - maybe that is what triggers that???

Roy Ken

I just wanted to mention a possible reason for you getting more response, and thank you PMs. In the time I've been on this forum, I can't help but notice, that you are not only a knowledgeable person, but a genuine good fellow, never sarcastic, or demeaning to anyone!

Everyone appreciates people like you!

Jerry

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Vet Man wrote:

...wouldn't it be nice if when we answer some ones questions and take our time to do it, if they came back to tell us how they made out...

I agree and while we are discussing things that are annoying, you know what annoys me? Vague thread titles that have no real meaning. An example would be "Would you like".

Good one! I laughed so hard at this I almost wet my pants! :B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
An old wise guy once told me, "There are two different kinds of people in the world, there are givers and there are takers".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the polite thing to do is to at least respond. But, we have an awful large neighborhood here on the forums, and not everyone has been taught or learned how to be polite. And, there are a fair number of folks that respond in a rather rude fashion even though at times, it may not be intentional.

If you're really sensitive to other's comments, forums are not a great place to hang out!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I love it when a new member posts what a piece of junk their brand newXXXXX is then you never hear another word out of them.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Often, I will see a "newbie" ask a question at, say 1:00 PM. Status shows "online". I will see a response at, say 1:05 PM. OP's status shows "offline" and sometimes never to come back. I wonder if they forget about their post, or how they got to the forums in the first place. It's a mystery.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:

...wouldn't it be nice if when we answer some ones questions and take our time to do it, if they came back to tell us how they made out...

I agree and while we are discussing things that are annoying, you know what annoys me? Vague thread titles that have no real meaning. An example would be "Would you like".
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900