cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wrangler recommended braking unit

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
2017. We were thinking we wouldn't get one but now thinking we should. First time
towing. Jayco class c 25 foot is the tow vehicle.
THanks!
9 REPLIES 9

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
+2 for the ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute braking system.
After reading on here about the failures of some of the magic electronic boxes, I would never buy one. I like the fact that the NSA systems are purely mechanical and require no electrical power or air brakes to work.
At the present time, I am not towing anything except trailers, but if I ever do go back to dinghy towing I will not even consider any other braking system.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
+1 to the NSA ReadyBrake. If you don't already have a tow bar, you can buy the ReadyBrute Elite, which has the ReadyBrake built into it. I install this on my Wrangler and it works great. You don't have to mess with installing / removing a braking unit from the floorboard. Simply connect a cable from the ReadyBrake to the front of your Jeep and the brake system is ready.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
RVI2 in my Jeep. Small light and feedback on the dash of the RV via 12V outlet. It will show you when the RVI2 is braking and optional "dinghy" tire pressure add ons to give feedback on your tire pressures.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! that is funny...dinghy.
Towmaster tow bar and base plate.
2 door wrangler and he checked out the tow rating.
Donna

Y-Guy wrote:
dcason wrote:
WHY moving to dinghy towing...no dinghy. Towing jeep with class c.

What you are doing is called a Dinghy or toad, basically any time you pull a motorized vehicle behind another vehicle like a motorhome it's a Dinghy. Welcome aboard!

If you don't have a tow bar already, I'd suggest checking out the NSA Ready Brake But you'll find a lot of discussions about various options already on the forum that may help you out too.

Out of curiosity are you talking about towing a 2 or 3 door Wrangler? Have you checked your Jayco's hitch rating?

Y-Guy
dcason wrote:

What you are doing is called a Dinghy or toad, basically any time you pull a motorized vehicle behind another vehicle like a motorhome it's a Dinghy. Welcome aboard!

If you don't have a tow bar already, I'd suggest checking out the NSA Ready Brake But you'll find a lot of discussions about various options already on the forum that may help you out too.

Out of curiosity are you talking about towing a 2 or 3 door Wrangler? Have you checked your Jayco's hitch rating?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at SMI stay and play duo. Easy to hook up nothing to put on the floor. I wired mine so I have a small light that lights on my dash when the brakes are on.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

dcason
Explorer
Explorer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the basic Brake Buddy as it is easy to transfer between various vehicles. It fits in my Wrangler even with the higher than average seat frame height.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner