cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Nat'l Park

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone could get first snow over labor day.
13 REPLIES 13

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep your furnace at 50 or 55 at night (to prevent the fan from running your battery down) and the cabinet doors open. You will be fine. We spent 2 weeks there in September of 2011. The only problem we had was learning that we could not keep the furnace on 70 all night, battery deader'n a doornail about 2am.

Furnace on 50 all night, first one up turns it back up to 70 and jumps back in bed for 20 minutes, all is right with the world.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If the forecast is over 32 deg during the day you'll be just fine. It's the constant freeze you'd have to worry about.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SarahElizabeth wrote:
We're planning on getting there early next week. We're total noobs, though and I saw that the temps will be getting down to the 30s at night. Are we going to be okay? I mean - are the pipes going to freeze, etc if we don't winterize?
Looks like 60s during the day.

Depends, enclosed under belly?

Water freezes at 32 degrees, but not instantly! We camp year round and while using the trailer and heating it you should be good down to the mid 20's. You could have your water hose freeze, just fill the fresh water tank and run off of it.

I don't worry about the empty unit is storage unless it will get below about 28 degrees, and stay in the 40's during the day.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SarahElizabeth
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on getting there early next week. We're total noobs, though and I saw that the temps will be getting down to the 30s at night. Are we going to be okay? I mean - are the pipes going to freeze, etc if we don't winterize?
Looks like 60s during the day.

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Got snowed in at Mammoth Campground once in the 3rd week of September. It was wonderful. Could have driven out but didn't feel like dragging the rig down the icy hill. Stayed put for a couple of days and went out on dry pavement.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorite memories of Yellowstone June 2014 was walking around gyser basin as it snowed. We had made sure to bring warm clothes and we just bundled up and had a wonderful time.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the Park is 8000 ft. or more so it can and has snowed any day of the year somewhere in the Park so snow now is not a big deal.
Jayco-noslide

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
My friends who are volunteers at Old Faithful said it snowed in July.

It has snowed in YNP every month of the year. Snowed there the entire first week of July my 2nd summer working there (late 60s). No biggie; it melted by 9 AM. Other than freezing temps overnight, which are common by this time of year, you shouldn't have too much to worry about, amandasgramma.

We currently have a stationary front positioned right over central Idaho, which we hope brings rain/snow to that area over the weekend to knock the wildfires down. If it does, that will improve air quality over all of Idaho and also anywhere downwind, including Yellowstone, so that's a good thing. That front should move through by Monday or Tuesday.

Slight correction to JimShoe; most of Yellowstone is between 7500 and 8000 feet, with only a few spots along the road that are 9000 feet or over (Dunraven Pass, Beartooth Pass - the latter is technically outside park boundaries). Close enough, though! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We left Yellowstone yesterday, not wanting to stay in Mammoth for four more days. Weather is calling for rain/snow at Fishing Bridge, Grant, Bridge Bay, and Madison - the campgrounds we could fit into. We didn't want to risk it (and temps in the 20s) so headed out the west side. We are hanging out at Henry's Lake until the weather settles. Lots of calls for reservations here beginning Saturday so many may be migrating here before the rain/snow starts, just in case. Very windy here and we had a storm pass through to the south. The lightning show was amazing.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ You scared me...we're headed there next week! We lived at 4300 foot level in Oregon....we had snow every month of the year.....not much snow, but enough to kill a zucchini.....and not every year. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Not normal, but not impossible either. YNP is at 9,000 ft. ASL. I drove into the park in June one time and found snow covering the ground but not the roads. Expect the best, but plan for the worst.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This storm may get all the way down to the 5000 ft level i.e. Cody.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
My friends who are volunteers at Old Faithful said it snowed in July.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more