cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Trip

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Going out to Yellowstone in June. Have reservations for a week outside of west entrance. After there going to Cody out through East entrance then over to Devils Tower and then Mt. Rushmore for the 4th of July. Then going east on 90 to visit kids in Massachusetts.

Best route out of Cody is supposedly Rte. 14 to 30 to 20 to 16 to 90.

Anyone ever done this route and comments and suggestions appreciated.

Seems the route through Yellowstone out to the East is fairly easy.

We'll be in our 40' Itasca Meridian with our toad following faithfully.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie
28 REPLIES 28

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ranger Smith wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
We stayed at the Yellowstone West Entrance last September. You'll love it.

Suggest you sign up for a Yellowstone tour and let someone else do the driving as it's a huge park.

Kool . . . Last time we were there was in 1998 and drove to Old Faithful on the Harley. It got really cold and we actually were in some snow flurries then.We did not need reservations then and stayed at Fishing Bridge Campground there.

We did the same on our Harley about the same time frame... 1998 or so. It was a spur of the moment trip from Sturgis after the rally. Stayed at Fishing Bridge too. Very cold mornings in nice afternoons. Been there a couple times since, but stayed at West Yellowstone. Leaving there we took 14 to 20 to 16-- stayed at Ten Sleep for a night and had a blast in town with some of the locals.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go over the Bighorns.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I personally love going over the Bighorn Mtn on 14a but agree that for most people it is not a good idea. I don't mind the extreme nature of 14a. I have gone over it in both directions with a variety of vehicle combinations.

I have also gone over on 16 and would highly recommend it to most people. You will still be doing some steep and twisted roads.

I agree, I used to love going over 14a and 16, and have done it in multiple rigs, unfortunately, our current rig doesn't like steep grades very good (trans gets hot). Also we are getting up in age (75) with a few health issues so I am afraid our days of travelling that route are over. The trip the original poster is going sounds like a lot of fun, have fun with it no matter what roads you take!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
Don't miss the Bighorns.

As in, you donโ€™t miss them, or they are not to miss?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Did that route in the opposite direction with a 34 foot 5th wheel. No issues.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Leave early every morning for the parks west gate. I was exiting that area two years ago and traffic was crazy on the other side.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't miss the Bighorns.

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
I personally love going over the Bighorn Mtn on 14a but agree that for most people it is not a good idea. I don't mind the extreme nature of 14a. I have gone over it in both directions with a variety of vehicle combinations.

I have also gone over on 16 and would highly recommend it to most people. You will still be doing some steep and twisted roads.

I'd recommend going over the the Bighorn Mountains too. We probably have more moose than anywhere else in the lower 48. There are moose everywhere. A lot of times we will see hundreds of elk too!

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
We did this trip in reverse last summer. Spent the 4th of July in Spearfish and then went on to Yellowstone. Great trip! I have two recommendations. If "Small Town America" is your thing it doesn't get any better than the Fourth of July Parade and Rodeo in Belle Fourche. It had been on my bucket list for many years and it didn't disappoint! While there check out the American West Bar and Grill. Fried Beef Tips are amazing. I ate there 3 times!

Touring Yellowstone I downloaded this App:

https://gypsyguide.com/tour/yellowstone-national-park/

I highly recommend. Even though you don't have cell service or wifi the App know where you are at in the park. Tell you what is coming up, what is a must see, things you might want to see and tons of general information. We absolutely loved it. It's like having your own private tour guide.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this exact route in the opposite direction with a 5th wheel, it's easy.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sheridan, WY is one of the great western towns still in existence.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Have traveled across the Bighorns more times than I can count with a 26 foot TT and now a truck camper. Never had an issue. Enjoy the ride.

And as someone mentioned, go up the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highway. You'll regret it if you miss those incredible drives.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:

I feel the same way about 14 & 14A

Count me in on traveling the Bighorn's on 14-A.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
When we were younger we did 14 A with a '68 Pontiac Tempest pulling an Apache fold down trailer, then a pickup camper, then a small Class C MH and loved it. Now that I am old (75) and our Class A Winnebago transmission doesn't really like mountain grades I won't do that anymore. 16 is pretty steep but not that bad, that is how we came home from Yellowstone the last time we were out there with this rig. Have fun Yellowstone and the big horns are beautiful. Just watch your brakes and gear down.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee