Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zep polish?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you have tried Zep wet look floor polish to shine up
your older RV? There are many videos about it on the internet. I've tried many products on our 2003 class C which has probably set outside it's whole life and none so far have made any difference in the looks. Of course I know nothing will put back bright color but hopefully at least a nice shine. I've just started with the Zep and am encouraged so far but too early for a celebration. It's expensive and takes multiple coats and I think preliminary cleaning must be real important.
Jayco-noslide
22 REPLIES 22

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Very satisfied with the Zep wet look floor polish. It's the 1st thing I've tried that has put any shine whatsoever on the old fiberglass. Just apply with sponge and no rubbing off. The rubbing comes with the prep.
Jayco-noslide

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
georgej wrote:
Hey Larry Your Rig always looked good. Weren't you at Lacey too! Let's see, white chevy truck?

Yes still an awesome rv for us, chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

georgej
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Larry Your Rig always looked good. Weren't you at Lacey too! Let's see, white chevy truck?

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Hi George. I remember you from our alpenlite outing in Lebam. I will look at what this product is but I am one that would not use ZEP because I did the red max pro #3. Poli glow is what I use now and it is doing a great job. I get many comments on how nice and shiny our 2001 alpenlite is.

chevman alpenlite 5978
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

georgej
Explorer
Explorer
I sold our Alpenlite about 3 years ago and polished and waxed it with Mequires 3 step process. Took about 3 to 4 days and it looked great when finished. After a year of travel I'd park it do the process the following year because although It was covered during the winter months it needed to be polished again.
Last year a neighbor purchased a 2002 Ford 350 from his Father-in-law and as I passed his house walking he had just finished washing his new to him truck I was amazed at the shine and he told me the truck had always been polished with a product I'd never heard of. My truck is also about 16 years old and Dodge had blessed it with a good factory paint job, so I tried the product called Voom Gold.The results after cleaning with a clay bar or mild polish are great. Wish I'd known about this stuff when we had the Alpenlite.It's about 28 bucks a gallon and over the last year I've polished our Accord twice, my truck twice,our Outback and our new 24' Coleman and still have about a 1/3 gallon left.You just spray it on and wipe it off and the gloss and smooth feeling are incredible.Water will dance right off the surfaces and seems to last 3 months or so.
I'm sorry if this seems like a advertisement just the experience of a 77 year who has polished his share of vehicles in his day 🙂

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
My RV is from 2004. It has spent a lot of time in the desert southwest. This year was my first try removing oxidation. I hand rubbed with a pad and BKF. It took about the same amount of work as applying and removing paste wax.

I doubt you will need power equipment and certainly not sandpaper. No way would I use sandpaper or an equivalent abrasive on my RV. BKF is a very mild abrasive.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to trying some of these methods when we get back. 😉

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV is from 2004. It has spent a lot of time in the desert southwest. This year was my first try removing oxidation. I hand rubbed with a pad and BKF. It took about the same amount of work as applying and removing paste wax.

I doubt you will need power equipment and certainly not sandpaper. No way would I use sandpaper or an equivalent abrasive on my RV. BKF is a very mild abrasive.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
On a 2005 I would try the buffers if you have them already and good shoulders first.

Not sure they still qualify as "shoulders" any more, LOL.

Fortunately, I can do most anything- for short periods. Took me 3 days to scrub the roof of the camper. I can usually move between different kinds of things, just not too much of any one thing.

I've never been a car waxing or painter guy. I've tried it, but wouldn't be proud of any of the results.

I don't mind putting in the work, but it would be a real shame to do the work and end up with disappointing results.

So I'm here hoping to learn from you guys on this. 🙂

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you will find it easy to removed the oxidation. I used a non-scratch kitchen pad and Bar Keepers Friend. I was done in about an hour. A big RV might take a 3 or 4 hours. You also need to start with TSP, soap, and or wax stripper. You need to start with a clean surface with all the old wax removed.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DiskDoctr wrote:
Watching this thread closely, looking for the right solution for our 2005 fiberglass Keystone Cougar 304BHS.

Our time frame is sometime after 2 weeks from now. Have prosumer buffers, want a long lasting shine, she is pretty dull and up close the texture of fiberglass is fairly noticeable.

We'll likely need a good deoxidizer and a heavy build and seal product.
On a 2005 I would try the buffers if you have them already and good shoulders first. The bar keepers friend will remove most of the oxidation. If it is still bad wet sanding with 2000 grit paper will really clean things up. HF sells the Mequire's ultra cut compound which does a nice job. I have done it both ways but have 2 repaired rotator cuffs so the the Zeps is easier for me. If I was 40 or 50 with good shoulders I would use the buffer. On my 21 year old MH I noticed the side walls were fine I was the front and rear FG caps that were highly oxidized, which is a lot less work than the whole MH.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
PoliGlow

I thought this process was fairly easy to do!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Watching this thread closely, looking for the right solution for our 2005 fiberglass Keystone Cougar 304BHS.

Our time frame is sometime after 2 weeks from now. Have prosumer buffers, want a long lasting shine, she is pretty dull and up close the texture of fiberglass is fairly noticeable.

We'll likely need a good deoxidizer and a heavy build and seal product.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I'm the original poster and am working on polishing mine; about 1/4 done. It's turning out pretty well and improving the looks. It's hard to tell which is helping the most. The prep cleaning with Awesome and rubbing(hard) or applying the polish with a sponge(easy). No doubt takes both. The polish applies a shine but does no cleaning.
The intense rubbing and the heavy surfactant soap is removing the oxidation layer. It can be done a lot easier with different chemicals but it will SEEM better after all of that rubbing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the original poster and am working on polishing mine; about 1/4 done. It's turning out pretty well and improving the looks. It's hard to tell which is helping the most. The prep cleaning with Awesome and rubbing(hard) or applying the polish with a sponge(easy). No doubt takes both. The polish applies a shine but does no cleaning.
Jayco-noslide