cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AR - Choosing a Site for Family - Petite Jean - other?

meledward23
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the whole family camping (well all the human parts anyway, Wife, 7DD 4.5DS, and myself).

Looking at Petite Jean, although I am open to pretty much anywhere in the Ozarks, I have never been to this part of the country before.

5 Nights in the next 2weeks or so.

So, here is what I see that I like at Petite Jean, and I would like any feedback on if I am off base in my summation or perhaps if there is a better AR park for these ideals.

Petite Jean - Seems to be a nice open park at the camp sites(<-edited word) so the kids can run about the camper and be easily seen. (I like secluded campsites but am learning open is good with young'ins). Lots of various trails. My kids love hiking and will want to do a hike every single day we are there. They also like fishing with their mother (I would rather stare at a tree for a rare extinct bird).
Looks like nice vista's and such. I am a former Smokie's backcountry camper so I need trails, rocks, views, and some heights.

The other thing we love to do is go see old Pioneer type cabins and villages. So if there are any must see old life villages, historic sites, etc in the Ozarks any suggestions would be appreciated (and obviously if there is a hotbed area with a nearby state park, please speak up)

Thanks,

Jayco X20E -
love it, but thinking the X20B would have been the better move.
TV -
96 3500 Dodge Cummins I6 (170K Miles, 50% with trailers)
04 1500 GMC 5.3V8 (105K)
Camper
2012 Jayco X20E (zero trips)
formerly Tents
20 REPLIES 20

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this. I too am "close to Graceland" about 30miles N. We camp here in Tn, but want to head across the bridge to AR as well. Petit Jean is on our list of places to go. Thank you for the info on the campground. Its only about 4 hrs from me.
Proud owners of 2006 Keystone Hornet 31ft. BH. Camp with the DH, 2 DS, & Axel the Rottweiler.
http://thefrugalhappycampers.blogspot.com/

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't stayed at Quachita SP, but drove thru and liked it. Crater of the Diamonds SP is on our return list, but it's a drive from the Ozarks. It was rebuilt a few years ago. Someone mentioned Washington AR...It's a time machine, historic town left in the 1800's era. We stayed in cabins at Lake Ft. Smith SP, but I don't remember the camping layout. It moved from near the dam and was rebuilt not many years ago. I've been impressed with all AR SP. All these areas are South of I40.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

arkidog
Explorer
Explorer
Petit Jean SP is one our favorite when we take our 7 yr old granddaughter camping with us. Area "A" is all FHU (full hookup) and lots of area for kids to run around and play. Areas B, C & D are more rustic, close together in the woods and have water & electric only. Great hiking trails.
For old buildings there are a couple in the park.
About 40 miles from the campground at the community of Pottsville is the "Potts Inn" built in 1857 and used as a Butterfield Stagecoach stop until the start of the Civil War. Serval other old buildings there also. Google it.
For a future trip check out Craters of Diamonds SP. About 30 miles south of there is Old Washington SP. A whole town that is a State Park. There are tours of the old houses. fantastic gun museum and blacksmith shop. The community goes back to the early 1800's. This was on the road to Texas so a lot of history.
Have a great time.
2019 GD Momentum 21G
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, Petit Jean is a great choice. Took my granddaughters there and they walked my legs off!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
If you love to hike then Petit Jean (no e at the end) is the place for you. Great campground and the best hiking trails in the state. There is also a lake, I don't know how good the fishing will be. They have a boat rental but it may be closed this late in the season.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We like Lake Catherine State Park in Hot Springs too. Lots to do in Hot Springs and the state park is beautiful.
http://www.historystateparks.com/register-landmarks/

Some things may be temporarily closed in Hot Springs since it's a National Park.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi