cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current events having second thoughts

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
We are preparing for a weeks vacation in Myrtle Beach State park in next few weeks. I am concerned now more than ever for the safety of my family and wonder if I should even leave as all of my resources are here if something horrific would happen. This will be our first long distance trip since camping and normally we are no more than 2 to 3 hours away from home. Anyone else feeling some anxiety on travelling right now .
46 REPLIES 46

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Can't Wait Now wrote:
Wasn't meant as racial I am not black and shouldn't matter. Was a genuine question. I am not worried about me It's protecting my wife and daughter

Statistically, you (and your family) are safer now than you would have been decades ago.

Violent crime has been decreasing for years. We are just more aware of it now with the 24/7 media.

Do you ever wonder why we were allowed to play outside, unsupervised, for hours on end, while children today are hovered over by their parents, even at 10 and 12 years old?

Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't safer then.

Statistically, there are fewer crimes against children today than there were in the 1970s and 1980s.

We are just more aware of them now.

Americans are scared of their own shadow.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from MB on Friday (Pirateland, right next to the SP). Nothing sketchy there, other than maybe the stretch of Kings Hwy on the south end of town. LOL
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Please turn the news off and go camping. It seems camping is one of the few places folks on both sides of the political aisle still enjoy each other's company. Nothing like massive granite domes in Yosemite to remind one that our political opinions mean squat in the grand scheme of themes.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why my man who is frmrly military from the 'Nam era doesn't worry much about protecting me and mine? Or why having lived through terrorist attacks, both domestic and international, I don't let the possibilities consume my RL or virtual (except for a month or two post 9/11); race riots and a few blackouts?

One of those mysteries of life I suppose.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Can't Wait Now wrote:
Thanks for all the responses Just worry if all hell breaks loose I am far away from home and my resources my AO and want to make sure I can protect my family. I know you can die in a car crash etc. I am not afraid Prior military just being cautious and will just have my head on a swivel and still enjoy our trip

Buy a lottery ticket, you have about the same chance as it happening.

The news is good for awareness but remember they prompt fear and controversy, that is how they stay on the air. Don't get so tied up in it you can't enjoy life.

Enjoy your trip!
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Can't live in fear or the terrorist win.

I am so sick and tired of hearing this phrase. :R
It's not about anyone winning. And the terrorist could care less if you live in fear or not. They are not ever thinking about anyone and trust me we won't ruin their day by not living in fear.

It's about being smart, protecting your family, being aware of your surroundings and what is actually happening. And make your plans accordingly.

Back when I was a kid we went on a scheduled vacation. One of the places I had been waiting and waiting to see was the Kellogg factory to see how cereal was made, what kid wouldn't?!

......well that was the year of the riots where they were burning anything they could find in their own darn town.

My parents chose NOT to go to that city and changed the vacation plans. Do you honestly think the rioters there thought they won because we changed our plans?

Do what your gut feeling is telling you to do. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, go and enjoy, don't deny yourself, worrying about what could happen but probably won't happen. There are no guarantees in life. Judging by past history, current events, and the direction our country is heading, things are only going to get worse in the future.

No, I didn't fumble through 4 pages of comments to your question, just stating my own opinion.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I echo those who've asked what exactly it is that you're afraid of?

I see zero logical reason that anything happening in current events should make me particularly afraid or worried. We're headed out tomorrow for a few days at the beach. As stated above, the risk of an accident on the drive is (as always) the most risk we'll likely encounter. FWIW, our oldest son (20) just got back from six weeks overseas. I wasn't worried about him, either.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I wanna live in YOUR neighborhood if there is a magic Mayberry dome over it. Nothing but green grass and butterflies
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses Just worry if all hell breaks loose I am far away from home and my resources my AO and want to make sure I can protect my family. I know you can die in a car crash etc. I am not afraid Prior military just being cautious and will just have my head on a swivel and still enjoy our trip

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
You cannot believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
What EXACTLY are you afraid of? Terrorist attack? Getting caught in a riot? Random drive by? Walking down the street and being attacked? All of these things can happen (or not happen), no matter where you are.

Just get out and enjoy what you do. You can't live in fear, but you can rely on your sixth sense, and take some common sense actions to be prepared. If you are inclined, you can choose to carry (I do), but more than anything, just go camping and quit worrying about things you can't change or influence. Otherwise THEY win, they being either terrorists, thugs, or what have you.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I guarantee that a lot of this was happening before the advent of smart phones, internet and social media. Today we see it instantly and by everyone. In the past we had to wait for the local or national TV news or read it in the newspaper.

I quit watching the news because of all of the misinformation and stories that are contorted so they grab attention.

Go camp and quit worrying about things you can't control.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't Wait Now wrote:
We are preparing for a weeks vacation in Myrtle Beach State park in next few weeks. I am concerned now more than ever for the safety of my family and wonder if I should even leave as all of my resources are here if something horrific would happen. This will be our first long distance trip since camping and normally we are no more than 2 to 3 hours away from home. Anyone else feeling some anxiety on travelling right now .

In truth, You will be safer in MB SC than in most of the country. Why? there are few gun free zone in SC, and more likely than not the guy, or gal beside of you will be carrying. You won't even know it, but if someone starts shooting at the good guys. The good guys will be shooting back. I just left MB, and happily people around you never know how close help is. The legal folks that carry, don't advertise or show it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers