cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky Camp Suggestions

four22
Explorer
Explorer
Our group is starting to plan out the summer of 2018 camping trips and I'm looking for some suggestions of places to go in the Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky areas. We're based out of the Cincinnati area and like to plan several trips through the summer.

We all have travel trailer with the largest 2 being 37-38 feet so that is a consideration.

All suggestions welcome!!!

Thanks!!!
14 REPLIES 14

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve stopped at Prophetstown State Park in West Lafayette, IN several times. Lots of hiking/biking trails, a working old time farm, fishing, swimming and American Indian history.
Larry

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Mohican State Park has a lot to offer. The park has a nice campgrounds, but it can be hard to get reservations. We like the Butler-Mohican KOA between Butler and the state park. Nice folks run it. From either campground, there is quite a bit to do in the Loudonville area- canoeing, mountain biking, rubber rafting. Ohio's Amish country is not to far away as well.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

zenasboy
Explorer
Explorer
Versailles and Clifty are our favorites and as an added bonus only 30 minutes from home. We just went to O'Bannon Woods State park this weekend for the very first time. Very nice park with mostly wooded sites. Big ole hill getting up to the park which gave the truck a good work out.

We really enjoy going to Winton Woods right there on the north side of Cincy. Super nice campground and close to the zoo and Kings Island.

We've been to most of the campgrounds listed (in IN at least) so far in this thread and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

four22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those that responded.

It makes me very sad that someone can ask for places to go and gets less than 10 responses, but the pissin contests of "you cant tow that" or "your crazy for that with a 1/2 ton" threads go on for pages and pages and pages....

admins, please delete my account.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
http://friendshipfleamarket.com/

Friendship Flea Market, Friendship Indiana.

Camping spots are available... June & September meets. National Muzzleloaders grounds are next door.

Lots to see and do.

four22
Explorer
Explorer
Weve done Versailles State park, Whitewater Memorial State Park and Brookville Lake and LOVE them. More than likely will go back this coming year again.

OBannon's looks really nice too and is a really EASY drive for us...

Thanks everyone and keep em coming ๐Ÿ™‚

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing the distance you want to travel, I went to this web click here site to see how far the max distance is from Cincinnati, Ohio to include all of Ohio. This distance in a straight line from Cincinnati to beyond Cleveland came out to about 290 miles. So, taking that radius you have quite a range of options. That radius would include Cleveland, Ohio, beyond Detroit, Michigan into Toronto Canada, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Beyond Chicago, Peoria, and Springfield, Illinois. St. Louis, Missouri, the Shawnee National Forest in Missouri, to Paducha Kentucky, beyond Nashville and Chattanooga , TN. Arch on around to Ashville, Hickory, and Winston Salem, NC. Keep going around that circle to Roanoke and (almost) Harrisburg, Virginia, inclusive Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and back up to Youngstown, Ohio. Thatโ€™s a LOT of territory.

So I narrowed it down a bit, limited to only 150 miles with Cincinnati being the center and then decided to focus on Indiana only (since Iโ€™m most familiar with Indiana), and hereโ€™s what I came up with.

In Indiana, with Cincinnati being the center point, that would take you as far North as Fort Wayne, Indinaa to Lafayette, to Santa Clause and Tell City Indiana. Lots of NICE State parks and Recreation areas inside THAT arch.

Hereโ€™s my suggestions:

Our 2 favorites (Whitewater Memorial State Park and Brookville Lake State Recreation Area near Liberty, Indiana). Both has great campsites, and lots of water activities. Great for older folks and kids.

Versailles State park at Versailles, Indiana. Hiking, activities for kids.

Clifty Falls State park (Madison, Indiana). Hiking, swimming, lots of kids activities, playgrounds, you name it. Along the Ohio River, great for site seeing, and a visit to Madison downtown is a real treat! Little shops, coffee shops, quaint town. Very relaxing. Enjoy watching activities on the Ohio River.

Deem Lake State Recreation area โ€ฆ 2 campgrounds โ€ฆ horsemanโ€™s campground and everyone else who does not have a horse! Great swimming beach, trails, and horses. (watch for horse poop!) This is really an unknown secret in Indiana. But what a great place! If you have a canoe or kayak โ€ฆ itโ€™s great too!

OBannon of the Woods State Park, near Leavenworth, Indiana. Really nice State park โ€ฆ LOTS of hiking trails. Very woodsy. Have horses.

Lincoln State Park, near Santa Clause, Indiana. Need I say more! Santa Clause Indiana has the theme park, plus other attractions about Abraham Lincoln. This is a REALLY nice State Park with REALLY nice campsites.

If you want to go just a little farther, New Harmony State park (West of Evansville, Indiana). GREAT park! Lots of hiking, along the Wabash River.

Patoka Lake (Itโ€™s a gigantic campground with a gigantic lake (Speed boats galore, boat rentals, you can even rent a gigantic houseboat on that lake too) Love the area! Lots to do.

Spring Mill State Park, Starve Hallow State Park, Hardy Lake Recreation Area, Monroe Lake and Brown County State Park. All in the Central South of the State. All fantastic spots for families, kids, pets, fishing, swimming, boating, hiking.

Trying to stay within that 150 mile range, itโ€™s hard not to mention Racoon State Recreation area near Rockville, Indiana. (Little more than 150 miles radius, but oh, so well worth it!) Rockville and Racoon are located in Park County, Indiana. Park County, Indiana is noted as the Covered Bridge Capital of the world. There are more covered bridges concentrated in this county (space) than anywhere else in the world. Any of the State Parks are worth visiting. Lots of Amish in this area, and canoe rentals along Sugar Creek.

Going back Eastward now, Summit Lake State Park on highway 36, East of Pendleton is a nice State Park. Has an excellent lake for paddle boats, canoes, and kayaks They have canoe rentals there, nice swimming beach and 2 different campgrounds. One campground is all in the trees, but definitely need smaller trailers, pop-ups or tents. Many sites actually overhang the lake (kind of scary really). The other campground has one section in trees, very easy back-in campsites, and the other half is all sun. But all the sites are spacious. (this State Park is close to our home, so we go there a lot).

Now, going farther North (and within the 150 mile radius), there are a couple more. Chain-o-lakes State park near Wabash and Ouabache State park (Ouabache is old French and is actually pronounced โ€œWalbashโ€) Even folks in Indiana donโ€™t know how to pronounce it. They call it almost everything, except the simply โ€œWalbashโ€โ€ฆ (ooh-cha-booch-ie / oak-a-bookie โ€ฆ and any variety of pronunciations. But itโ€™s actually, just simply โ€œWalbashโ€.) (Blufton, Indiana). Both are great parks!

And then there is Mississinewa Like State Recreation Area (North Central, Indiana), probably one of the larger campgrounds in the state. There are 2 campgrounds, beside each other. Both are GREAT. They have limited full hook-up sites. They get booked fast. Mississinewa has one absolutely GREAT swimming beach!

I give every one of these sites mentioned an A plus. Each one is dear to us, and we enjoy every one of them, over and over again.

Hope this helps.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Deer Creek SP Link
- indoor and outdoor pool
- great restaurant
- large beach (although on the other side of the lake)
- golf course
- historic president Harding's lake cottage

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar point is one obvious possibility. They have a (seemingly very nice) RV park right on the property. It isn't inexpensive, but going to an amusement park with on-site camping has lots of advantages that are hard to get otherwise. You can run back to take an afternoon nap, for example, or eat a good supper made yourself rather than waiting in like and partaking of fairground food.

Another decent idea is Mammoth Cave. I remember thoroughly enjoying it (and most other caves, really) as a youth...and I don't believe that would have changed in the years since then.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Land Between the Lakes is on my list
Bill and Joey the dog

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Being in the Cincinnati area, have you been to Kentucky Horse Park. That would be an easy trip for you to a nice campground.

Nolin Lake State Park is a gem of a campground, with only 32 RV sites, which are wide, grassy, and many are shaded, along with 27 primitive sites, which are in a separate area. The RV sites have water and electric (50 amps) - $25 per night. There is a good dump station. The campground is located in Mammoth Cave, KY and Mammoth Cave is a short drive away.

As you can see, our site (21) backed up to the water, a fact not missed by our golden retrievers.

Negatives (which were not issues for us): There is a 20 or so mile drive in on 2 lane roads with little to no shoulders.
No wifi.
Verizon extended LTE (which means another provider has a tower near by - Verizon has an agreement with them so no roaming charges.)
According to the host, no over-the-air TV. We didn't verify that.

Hillman Ferry at Land Between the Lakes is another favorite of ours.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

four22
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

You need to help identify what kid of club you have and what the basic interests are, age of the participants, and if they have kids, if so, what ages. This would help narrowing down suggestions.

Kid age is 3-14 and the "club" is only a group of friends that travel together. Nothing formal and we all are looking to get away, relax and make memories with our kids.

Features we enjoyed this past summer:

Pool
Hiking
Bike riding
Occasional horse back riding
A big area for sports
Some sight seeing/shops...

Thats really about it.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Streetsboro KOA
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Any State Park or Recreation area in Indiana, State Parks in Ohio, or Kentucky! I recommend EVERY State Park and Recreation Area in Indiana. The only one I do NOT recommend is Fort Boonesborough State Park in Kentucky. The park is located adjacent a very busy and very noisy highway and located right beside a stone quarry and those machines are loud, start early in the morning and run all day. It kills the entire atmosphere of the park, especially the campground. And the noise is everywhere! Other than that one, haven't found one yet in all 3 states we didn't thoroughly enjoy. Each one is so different than than everything else.

You need to help identify what kid of club you have and what the basic interests are, age of the participants, and if they have kids, if so, what ages. This would help narrowing down suggestions.