cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Day Camping"

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you ever gone to a camp ground without your RV and rented a campsite just for the day? We have done this several times over the years. We pay the fee for camping and use the site as we would if camping. Build campfire, cook out, just enjoy being at the campground, then go home at the end of the day. Spent one day a few years ago doing this in the Smokies when we were traveling without the camper.
First time I did this was when our oldest grandson was about 2, not quite ready for an overnight stay. Took him to a state park.
Today we took 3 of our grands to our nearby Yogi Jellystone, rented a primitive site and the kids participated in the park activites. We fished, did crafts, met Yogi Bear, played Frisbee, went on the "Heyride", built a fire, roasted hot dogs, made s'mores, played at playground. The primitive area was empty except for us, and it was fantastic. Gorgeous weather, beautiful campground, wonderful smells. The 3 year old hasn't camped with us yet and we thought this would be a great introducton. Hopefully next time we take the camper, he will be ready to go!
14 REPLIES 14

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
At Malibu Creek State Park where we frequent for weekend stays, many families come for the day and find an empty site and set up and then leave when it gets dark. Last weekend we arrived at our camp site and a family was set up with about 20 family members and had their stuff all over our table, fire ring, and were even in our parking spot. They seemed generally annoyed that came to claim what we had paid for. Their kids however insisted on continuing to use our table even as we ate dinner. I invited to eat but they refused. 😉

Winnetheygo
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this with the girlfriend and it's great. usually the other people that did bring their RV are pretty hospitable too 😉

Daniel14
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to go family camping in France. In June or July, especially by the sea side. All campings have great facilities and good wather is more or less guaranteed.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've done this. Usually, we just head to a spot in the Fed forest that's not a campground. Free.

But sometimes the kids want to go to a particular spot at a campground that holds some sentimental value for them. $8, so it's worth the smiles. We're lucky in that we live 3 miles outside of a Fed Forest. 45 min drive puts us pretty far out there.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Good idea. Around our neck of the woods, your plan could be achieved by using the day use areas that have all the same amenities as overnight camp spaces except you go home when you're done.

Same thing here in Delaware State Parks.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

A_C_Woodsy
Explorer
Explorer
Many times, I've seen tent campers set up camp when they first arrive, then about midnight, fold everything up and go home.

At one campground, we had extremely young neighbors in the site next door, who arrived around 7, crawled into the tent, and left about 10. We figured they had an 11:00 curfew.;)

We do a variation on this. My husband and I stay overnight, but our daughter and her family come out for the day. The first time, our two-and-a half year old twin grandkids had so much fun that they turned their bedroom into a campsite the next day. It's become an annual tradition. In time, we hope to recruit more overnight campers.

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
The idea behind this is that we love being in the campground. The atmosphere just feels different from day use areas, which also usually don't have campfire pits. The few times we have done this, the campground was not busy, plus we use primitive sites which didn't prevent anyone from using the ones with hook-ups. There were no other campers in our area at the Jellystone yesterday, and the kids had room to run and play in a large grassy section across from our site. We were told we could use any empty site we wanted, they were happy to have us. Chock Full o' Nuts, you seem to understand my concept. Would we have rather brought the camper? Of course, but it just wasn't practical this weekend. We don't mind paying the fee, it's well worth the value of being outside in a lovely place with fresh air and nature. Just imagine what a trip to the movies with 5 of us would have cost, especially with refreshments thrown in!

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
What an awesome idea! DH & I can no longer tow our TT for health reasons, so we have it permanently parked at a campground we love in the mountains. The only downside is that we can't camp at the local lake, which we also love.

I think I'm going to suggest this idea to my DH! I can see us getting a site on the lake at the COE and spend the whole day in the water. We could put up a small tent and a blow-up bed, so he'd have somewhere to lie down when DH gets tired. We could bring in picnic food and a cooler, so we wouldn't need to pack a camp stove. And who knows? maybe we'll just decide to spend the night, after all. 😛
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a problem with that as long as the camp site is paid for. What disgusts me, is when picnickers tie up a campsite for a day without paying. This deprives a legitimate camper from setting up on that site. Even though the campground may not be full at the time, it may be someone's favorite campsite that they may have wanted.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. Around our neck of the woods, your plan could be achieved by using the day use areas that have all the same amenities as overnight camp spaces except you go home when you're done.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
On a "primitive" campsite, I would think that you could do this with most State Parks / State Recreational areas without any problems. You don't have to tell anyone you are NOT setting up a tent. You "could" be sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag with no cover! (Primitive ... no water, sewer, or electric hook-ups camp sites). Many times, I've seen tent campers set up camp when they first arrive, then about midnight, fold everything up and go home. I've never understood why anyone would do this, but I've seen it several times in Indiana State Parks. I understand breaking camp and going home when it begins to rain though, seen this more times than I can remember.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ALot of camp ground also have rules against this too especially in the RV sections. They say you must setup something at all times. Don't know if a picnic basket sitting on the picnic table would work or not. You probably at least have to have the spouse sitting in a folding chair at all times.

Some camp grounds have adjoining PICNIC areas where you can do this for a fee...

Westmoreland State Park VA

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Many state parks and national forest campgrounds have PICNIC areas where you can do this exact thing for free. They even have campfire rings to have a fire. We went to a Minnesota state park in Bemidji last fall to watch a friend run a 26 mile marathon where the route went through the park. It was cold that day, so we bought firewood from the park store and had a warming fire as we waited for the runners.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
What a great idea. I wonder if they'd give you a discount if you told them it was just for day use.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)