cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sad day

525pilly
Explorer
Explorer
We had an empty birdhouse stored on a shelf on the patio. A month or so ago my wife was going to hang it, and was surprised by a bird flying out and hitting her face. There were three eggs in the house. She carefully put it back, and we watched "Mama Bird" as she came and went. We put some seed out for her, and watched her busily bringing bugs to here brood.
We eventually heard chirping and knew the babies were growing. A couple of days ago they came out, and we really enjoyed watching them as they flew around the yard. All three had hatched.
Yesterday one got in the house, and we were quite amused when it fluffed its feathers in defiance as we tried to guide it out.
Today was a very sad day for us, my wife found two of the babies drowned in a pond. They are now buried, with tears, under the arbor where they liked to perch.
7 REPLIES 7

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Awww, I'm so sorry. I know things occur in nature that sometimes seems so sad, but that often doesn't soften the pain. Well, maybe that mama bird will have a new nest nearby someday and you can witness more fledglings ending up happy.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry the "Circle of Life" was cut short for your baby birds.

I live on a lake, and like you, we have some birds (waterfowl) who've become neighborhood mascots, particularly "Mama Duck" who nests up close to a house for protection, and always seems to keep her dozen ducklings safe from harm. For whatever reason, this Spring "Tyson" - a huge domestic goose, decided he was Top Dog - and killed a Mallard drake who was wooing Mama Duck... then Tyson proceeded to, um... well, if you've ever witnessed ducks breeding, it's kind of brutal. Glad Mama Duck wasn't drowned. So Tyson was on a testosterone-fueled rampage.... and then he disappeared. And the big cob Mute Swan who nests about 200' away was seen in the area. All we can figure is that Mr Bada$$ Tyson decided to take on the swan..... and lost.

We call it "Duck Drama"
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
It's true, the survival rate for the first few days of a baby bird's life is very small. We read that info after we put up a bunch of birdhouses and then realized we had created a crow and blue jay buffet. :E However, I choose to believe they are very soon reincarnated and will be back shortly. Who's going to prove me wrong?
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

OCwildlife
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen that too, including hummers killing babies so the female wants to mate again. As a photographer spending many hours observing wildlife, I have seen male birds drown another male too. Nature is tough on youngsters. There were days where I went home unsure about photographing these things again. Many don't survive.

I am so sorry!

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for the loss of two of your feathered friends that you watched since they hatched---even before; when they were in the eggs. It would have hit me hard too. 😞

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry you had to witness such a loss. However, I've seen blue jays, grackles, and crows drowning baby birds in puddles. They must have pulled them from unprotected nests. Young bird parents have to learn,(the hard way) safe places to raise their clutches.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry to hear it. Condolences and thanks for sharing.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus