cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AARRGGHHHHH! Puppy biting!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Tully is quite the handful (to say the least!) but most of the time he is energetic and playful but not super rough. He does, however, have moments when the biting is out of control. It's not vicious but very tenacious. Normal discipline does not work. Thoughts?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
6 REPLIES 6

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog Lucy is a 35 pound 14 month old GoldenDoodle and she's still biting. I think she thinks they are love bites. I've tried everything above plus air spray and spray water. She's very smart, loves her toys and chewy's. I call her a clown dog because she walks around with a squeaky toy in her mouth.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
He's starting to get better. It's mostly when he gets into zoomie mode that it happens. The nose bip and substitution with a toy is now starting to work. Not all of the time, but there is improvement.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had not delt with puppies since I was a child until Sawyer and Sasha, (always adopted older rescue Collies). When Sawyer was a young pup he would play with some biting. If he bit a little to aggressive I would yelp like another young pup would do so he would learn to not bite as hard, worked. After 6 months I got Sasha so Sawyer was kept entertained by her.

Hard to beleive Sasha is now 2 years old and Sawyer will be 3 in December. Kind of weird to think with all the Collies I've owned through the years my current two have about the same life expectancy as me.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gave Tornado-dog the Happy Belly brand rawhide. They are easier to digest. At first, one chew would last most of the day and one would last 2-3 nights. It was easy to grab it when he started biting and he'd be refocused for a good amount of time. I would give him a fresh chew as soon as we came in from his morning potty for the day downstairs. In the bedroom, he usually had two he was working on at night.

None of the other chews lasted long enough to satisfy him and he'd start chewing on the furniture, cats, Cat-dog, or me. The non-edible chews didn't hold his attention.

When playing, I just used a toy substitution for my hand.

Of course, we now have an expectation of a chew at bedtime and in the morning. He was actually waking me up earlier and earlier to go potty - just so he could get his chew. He now knows unless he really has to go potty, we don't get up til after 7 am.

He's now 8 months and the chewing is over. He rarely gets mouthy. He's more likely to stand on my head and poke me with his feet.

He now gets a dentastix or happy belly twice a day - after he and Cat-dog get their nighttime and morning cookie. It's funny to watch them at night. They stand next to the outer nightstand and watch for me to get the cookies and chew out of the cookie jar. As soon as I get them, Tornado-dog jumps over the bed and sits pretty on the other side. Cat-dog slithers under the bed and gets in position - so her front feet are facing toward Tornado-dog. I give a cookie to him, then hang over the bed and slide the other cookie between her feet. By that time, he's inhaled his cookie so he sits for his chew. He only inhales the cookies, so the chew lasts several minutes - long enough for Cat-dog to finish her cookie in peace.

But we love them anyway...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We substitute with chew toys. I'm not a fan of rawhide for a puppy that young. They make teething toys that you can freeze-may invest in one of those.

Douglas Adams

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Have you provided a yummy substitute (rawhide) when his biting gets out of hand? Correct for biting you and provide an alternative. Another thought is teething; provide a rolled up wetted and frozen rag for him to bite.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M