Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another question for Dr Doug

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Doc:

Thank you, for all the kind help, you have given, kind of trust you more than our home town vet.

Question is this, 14 plus year old lab, knees are shot, he is very stiff. It's got to hurt

I am wondering the pros and cons of buying an OTC dog Aspirin, vs the Rx stuff ( nsaid)

Your professional advise as always greatly appreciated, or anything you could add would be much appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
A reputable health food store has the good stuff.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Like other drugs, CBD oil effectiveness can vary with individuals. It did not work for one of our arthritic dogs.

Very true but there is also a huge difference in CBD oil. If it was bargain priced CBD from Amazon that might have been the issue. Quality CBD is not cheap.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I used Carprofen for my Collie, it gave him more time and quality of life.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
Thanks Doc, 2 questions

1) any difference between dog and people aspirin?
2) rx daily dose for 75lbs 14 year old lab? if we go with people aspirin?

It's my understanding that when giving aspirin to dogs it's important to use buffered aspirin. NOT enteric coated aspirin. Or at least that's what a vet told me years ago. Enteric coated aspirin is designed for a human's digestive tract and will often prevent aspirin from being absorbed properly by a dog. Bufferin use to be a widely available brand of buffered aspirin, but I haven't seen it in years. I think Walgreen's carries a store brand of buffered aspirin.

With my vet's blessing I sometimes use aspirin for short term pain relief. For longer term pain relief I've always given my dogs something like carprofen or tramadol.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Like other drugs, CBD oil effectiveness can vary with individuals. It did not work for one of our arthritic dogs.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try the vet. Tramadol made a huge improvement with my old Standard Poodle. She lived to be almost seventeen and her arthritis made her so stiff she didn’t want to walk around the yard.

3-5 Tramadols spaced out over the day and she was much more mobile.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Canine CBD oil. Yes, CBD does work.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doc, 2 questions

1) any difference between dog and people aspirin?
2) rx daily dose for 75lbs 14 year old lab? if we go with people aspirin?

dturm
Aspirin can be used in dogs (not so much in cats) but the same side effects that people are warned about can happen. The prescription nsaids are more expensive, but I've found their efficacy is enough better to justify the cost (especially the generics) if you can afford them. They just work better than aspirin. Of course, Aspirin is better than doing nothing.

Doug, DVM

PS make sure it's aspirin, NOT acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“kind of trust you more than our home town vet.”

No offense to Dr. Doug, but what? You trust a person on the internet who you have never met and may not exist more than a guy or gal living and working in your community, licensed by your state and almost always available to you?

Of course Dr. Doug doesn’t expect payment for advice while your hometown vet does. Could that be it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad