cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best dog ramp getting out of CLASS A RV?

SLOtowngirl
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good dog ramp to use for getting in/out of a Class A RV. Our big 14 year old Corgi has gotten spooked about coming down the steps or maybe it's just getting too hard for him. We thought we'd build our own ramp but now rethinking that idea. It's quite a step incline, just thought maybe one of you have a success story for me.

Thanks so much, we've been looking online but most are for getting dogs out of cars, can't find anything specific to the RV.
12 REPLIES 12

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE used one of these for years with our fifth wheel. Pet Loader However when we purchased our Class A we went to a ramp that extends because your have to remove the ramp every time you close the door. With the Pet Loader steps you leave the steps out and you can actually walk on them yourself as long as you don't weigh over 200 pounds.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ClassBGirl wrote:

My husband made this for our Basset. We use it with our RV and SUV, and it works great. He bought a long board (whatever length you need) and we used rubber bath mats to cover it with for traction going up and down. A lot cheaper than the purchased ones.

REAL nice DIY. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer

My husband made this for our Basset. We use it with our RV and SUV, and it works great. He bought a long board (whatever length you need) and we used rubber bath mats to cover it with for traction going up and down. A lot cheaper than the purchased ones.
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode

SLOtowngirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, once again for all the suggestions. Sounds like there's gotta be a good way to make this work...now to decide.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I built a ramp that I use to get the Collies in and out of the truck. I used plywood 1/2" 6'×16" with 1"×2" around the perimeter with two 1"×2" braces 1/3 of the way. I covered the top with non slip stick on tape used for steps.

The ramp is lite weight and sturdy holds my 95LB Collie without any problems. I had bought a telescoping plastic ramp that was covered with carpet. It was heavy, hard to extend retract and the carpet was to slick for the Collies to get good traction on not to mention expensive.

My almost 15 year old Collie has no trouble using my ramp and the cost was minimal.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the year's I've tried several different approaches. First we had a single step outside to go with the retractable one, then we moved to a ramp which actually did allow us to use it too but could get slippery when wet so my latest solution is to add the carpeting to the inside steps then I went to work on making something for the retractable step because its so stiff and narrow. I built a 2x4 frame with a 3/4" plywood top and a C-clamp it to the retractable step making a larger platform to step onto. I made the same configuration over one of those folding steel steps also making the platform area much larger...so you get the picture, you now have two larger platforms to step onto. I made a third one also that just sits on the ground as a third step. We love it, the dogs love it, so everyone's happy. (it does take up a bit of room to store though).
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Tripawd dog, Murphy, we bought a folding ramp from Costco online. I don't know if they still carry them, but I'm sure that there are a number of other places to get them. Our geriatric Golden also used it quite easily, both for loading into the trailer and for getting into the back of the Jeep.

If it is extra steps you need, we have found stacking exercise steps at Salvation Army that work great. We have two sets for our trailer. One is the multi colored three step set that was popular many years ago. The other is a two step height one in charcoal color. They are a bit wider than the trailer steps and can be adjusted by removing one or two steps from the stack. We probably have about $20 invested total.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Actually this is what I ended up doing. Even for short stays for a whole 10 bucks it did 'wonders' for the dog AND ME going in and out of the MH.

I buy Cinder blocks 'after' I get to CG at from lowes or home depot. Full, half and patio blocks none over 2 bucks each. And 'leave' them when I go. Arranged to fit the height of your MH door.

When I leave I ask the CG owner if it is ok to leave them and I have never been told no. I stack them up on the side of the site. For me worth the extra 10 bucks not to be in pain and have my senior dog that could easily go in and out of the MH. :C

Short stay - blocks with step stool

anything over a week stay.

The white you see is tape. I have night vision problems and I needed the tape to show where the difference in height on the blocks were. Blocks lined up perfectly with height of MH door. You step out right on the blocks. 2 full blocks, 6 half blocks, and 2 patio blocks.

After just one week of using these as steps instead of the MH steps ALL my pain in my knees disappeared. Dogs were pretty darn happy too!:C

SLOtowngirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the advice. I appreciate your suggestions and I'm sure our doggie, Foster, will too.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I found the aluminum retractable ones to work well with the RV. And they are lightweight and can be stored easily. Kinda a must with a MH Rv'ing. The ones for trucks, suv's etc., DO work with a MH.

http://www.petco.com/N_22_10437/Dog-Steps-and-Ramps.aspx

The telescoping, solvit and tri fold ramps all work well.

Also.
If you get the measurements of how high the 'fixed steps' are they work GREAT and if the right height they fit right up to the MH, and are good for us people also. Like this one.

I don't use the steps on my MH they completely wrecked my knees the first couple of months out full timing coming in and out. I thought I needed knee surgery and all I had to do was get a fixed step to use that is deep enough for you to put your foot down the correct way flat instead of that slight twist you have to do with the short RV steps.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While you are waiting for replies to this post you could search this Forum for `ramp' in the RV Pet Stop section.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Get a rug of some type, colors as you see fit, long enough to go down the steps to the ground, covering the spaces between the steps. When we got a small dog instead of the bigger ones we have has for years, We finally realized that from his viewpoint, he could not see the steps, because he was just looking through them. and going down, they looked just like a jump-off to him. Do try and secure the rug so that it is not dangerous ot yourself either. When traveling, just fold or roo it and stow closeby. Our very small dog has no problems up or down now.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.