cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Steps for elderly dog

Jscott285
Explorer
Explorer
Our elderly dog, Chloe travels with us and we are looking to replace our RV steps or at least have some type of platform that makes it easier for her to get into and out of our RV. We have a Fifth Wheel. I have been researching and have come across quite a few reviews, like this one: https://campingmoz.com/best-rv-steps/ https://campingmoz.com/best-rv-steps/

Does anyone have any advice to offer on which steps might be best. She is a good ole'gal and loves traveling with us! Thanks guys!
7 REPLIES 7

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Jscott285 wrote:
Our elderly dog, Chloe travels with us and we are looking to replace our RV steps or at least have some type of platform that makes it easier for her to get into and out of our RV. We have a Fifth Wheel. I have been researching and have come across quite a few reviews, like this one: https://campingmoz.com/best-rv-steps/ https://campingmoz.com/best-rv-steps/

Does anyone have any advice to offer on which steps might be best. She is a good ole'gal and loves traveling with us! Thanks guys!

Kerstin with Torklift would like to speak to you regarding steps for your elderly dog. You can private message her or ad her to your buddy list and she will reach out to you. This is a great product and has made all teh difference with our fur babies.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 15 yo Corgi and and a 10 yo Corgi that is crippled in the rear end. We still travel with them. We have tried various ramps and methods. What works best for our dogs is to keep them outside most of the day in the shade. A steel x-en works good for that. When it comes time to get them in the trailer, I put a beach towel under their chest and belly and use it to hoist them up the stairs.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
After going from two big dogs down to a tiny one, the tiny one could not use the steps. Problem is that with open steps, from his level they look like bats. So we took a short carper runner and laid it down the steps, and he has no trouble because they look like steps to him now. Once he got used to them, I put reflective tape in the edges, and now he can see them, even with the open backs.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another idea, depending on how heavy your dog is and what you can tolerate. There is a harness type thing that goes under their belly and has handles. A neighbor of ours had this after their dog had hip surgery and wasn't supposed to climb. They put it on , lifted the dog out of the camper to the ground and they could leave it on for their potty walk. Came back, lifted the dog up into the camper and then took it off. You might find something like this under medical supplies for pets. A cheap alternative would be a canvas wood carrier.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have used a Petstep folding ramp to get our two older Goldens in and out of our 5er. Arthritic hips would not allow either to do even short multiple steps. The Petstep ramp is very stable and the surface is non slip. I set the top end of the ramp on the top step. I set it to one side of the step so that we can still use the steps with the ramp in place. They walk up the ramp and are able to make that last step into the 5er. I fold it and set beside the hitch when traveling. I also use it to get them in/out of the truck back seat. I can no longer lift 70 lb dogs in and out.

We first tried a plastic telescoping ramp. But it was far less stable and the surface more slippery. Dogs didn’t like it.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We put Torklift Glowsteps with pet gaurds on our FW and our dog loved it. We now have four solid steps that are spaced closer making it easier for not only him but me as well.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
e bay look under pet ramps