cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bordetella Vaccinations

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
So sweet little Ben (mini Aussiedoodle) has "kennel cough", as diagnosed by my beloved Vet back in Michigan after not being able to get an appointment in FL for 2-1/2 weeks. He has been vaccinated yearly, for all of his 8 years of age.

Apparently, the Bordetella vaccine is sort of like the Covid vaccine - works against some variants better than others; and although he has it - it's a very mild case (occasional coughing/gagging after racing up the stairs or wrestling with the big dog, etc) and my Vet said to give him a little bit of honey to soothe his throat, which he really likes! Of course, if he starts to act ill, doesn't eat, etc - then we'll take him to the emergency vet - but so far, he seems bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and we'll just let it run its course.

Thanks to Ben's still-crazy adolescent "brother" Augie, we regularly go to the local dog park; so I'm sure that's where Ben picked it up. I've warned my dog-owning neighbors back in Michigan that Ben might still be contagious when we get back, in case their dogs haven't been vaccinated.

I'm just giving a head's-up, since RVers' dogs are exposed to so many other dogs.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
13 REPLIES 13

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Deb, our first Border Collie (Duncan) was obsessed with snapping at water. Imagine that, a Border Collie obsessed. Anyway, he had a go with Loeb Fountain while I was a postdoc at Purdue U. Having his head whipped sideways when he snapped the water jet never dampened his obsession.

ROFL!!! Augie would LOVE that!!!

We're getting a new dog park in Viera, FL, funded by a man named Mark Pieloch, who apparently made his money with pet pharmaceuticals and is wonderfully generous towards all "pet" projects (literally). I've heard the new park will include a doggie splash pad, so yes, we'll be risking the dread Bordetella again next fall 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad the honey is working. My friend's puppy was coughing all night and the honey completely stopped it. I hadn't thought of using it before that.

If Tornado-dog doesn't get worn out, he starts playing with the cats. Looney1 just swears at him and whacks him once hard in the face and he gives up. Looney2 will go after him like a lion on a hunt. I still can't figure out if Looney2 is playing back or going for the kill. They've spent an hour "attacking" each other from under the table. So I really try to keep Tornado-dog otherwise occupied. Cat-dog helps a lot with that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:
Deb, our first Border Collie (Duncan) was obsessed with snapping at water. Imagine that, a Border Collie obsessed. Anyway, he had a go with Loeb Fountain while I was a postdoc at Purdue U. Having his head whipped sideways when he snapped the water jet never dampened his obsession.

Now that is a water game. Tornado-dog is very jealous!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tornado-dog goes crazy with the hose! He loves it. He'll even do that with a small spray bottle - puts his mouth over the sprayer until water is drippibg out his mouth.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Deb and Ed - I get that. Tornado-dog is very high energy. I have found that I need to go out back and throw the tennis ball for about an hour in the sun to wear him out. And even then he needs more time spent playing with his sister. If we don't wear him down, he gets into trouble. If I get him out like that, he is usually pretty relaxed the rest of the day.

Oh yeah - sounds very familiar!! We're Snowbirds and have a condo - there is not a chance that 2 senior citizens attached to a leash are going to get Augie the level of exercise that he loves. He LOVES to chase the spray from a hose and *might* be allowed offleash in order to do that (wink).

By the way - the spoonful of honey is working WONDERS for Ben!! A spoonful in the morning and one at night seem to keep him cough-free all day
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

dturm
toedtoes wrote:
jspringator wrote:
My puppy had kennel cough when we brought him home. He is now 3. Do I still need to have him vaccinated for it every year?

Talk to your vet. Depending on your circumstances, you may not need to do so.

I don't normally do bordetella since my dogs don't get in close contact with other dogs. They get it if they are going to be boarded. In the past, I did because they hung out with my dad's show dog who was around a lot of other dogs.

Good information here. We don't routinely vaccinate ours, but we don't socialize with our dogs and they don't require grooming.

By way of information, "kennel cough" is a generic term encompassing many different diseases that all cause similar symptoms. Bordetella, coronavirus (canine variety not COVID), parainfluenza are three common ones some of which have vaccines available.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jspringator wrote:
My puppy had kennel cough when we brought him home. He is now 3. Do I still need to have him vaccinated for it every year?

Talk to your vet. Depending on your circumstances, you may not need to do so.

I don't normally do bordatella since my dogs don't get in close contact with other dogs. They get it if they are going to be boarded. In the past, I did because they hung out with my dad's show dog who was around a lot of other dogs.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed - I get that. Tornado-dog is very high energy. I have found that I need to go out back and throw the tennis ball for about an hour in the sun to wear him out. And even then he needs more time spent playing with his sister. If we don't wear him down, he gets into trouble. If I get him out like that, he is usually pretty relaxed the rest of the day.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Poor Ben. Over the years, I have really limited my dogs' interactions with other dogs. We don't do dog parks (had a chocolate lab pee on my Dog while the owner stood and laughed) and we don't touch noses, etc, with strangers. It's just not worth the risks.

A friend's new puppy had kennel cough and the honey really helped.

Sigh - I didn't do dog parks until Augie. In hindsight, maybe we were nuts (at our age) to take on a full-sized Aussie pup, since Ed and I surely can't walk long and far enough to wear out all that energy. The good news is that he's a lot more calm than a year ago....LOL! And the socialization has been good for him - he makes sure to greet every person at the park, in addition to playing nicely with their dogs. Being social is a good thing for a camping dog!

So far, he hasn't shown any signs of having picked up the virus.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poor Ben. Over the years, I have really limited my dogs' interactions with other dogs. We don't do dog parks (had a chocolate lab pee on my Dog while the owner stood and laughed) and we don't touch noses, etc, with strangers. It's just not worth the risks.

A friend's new puppy had kennel cough and the honey really helped.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the update.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad