cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breathing soaking crate pad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
One of our springers is a constant panter. It's not a big deal except when he sleeps he soaks his crate pad with condensation. We've tried multiple materials but they all get wet. We keep him as cool as possible but it doesn't seem to matter. Thoughts on keeping his bed dry?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
16 REPLIES 16

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it would help to raise the crate off the floor with something like some 2x4's so air could circulate under the pad as well. If your crate has one of the metal pans in the base you may want to remove it which would expose the bottom of the pad to air circulation.

TomC

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Does he only pant in his crate? I'm thinking maybe anxiety causing the panting, rather than being overheated?

No, he's a "chronic" panter. It doesn't seem to matter what the temp is, he just pants. He had a complete physical and extra blood work done because he had surgery a few months ago and all comes back fine.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Does he only pant in his crate? I'm thinking maybe anxiety causing the panting, rather than being overheated?
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Doug, dogs have a thick pad that's covered in a codura-like material with a sheepskin pad on top of it.

Colliehauler,

60%. The floor still emanates moisture as it's new and concrete takes about a year to fully dry out.

BCSnob, I might be able to find one to fit but he really likes to snuggle into the sheepskin which most like exasperates the problem.

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious is the basement damp or dry, what's the humidity level?

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Will one of the pet cots fit inside your crate?

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-pet-cot-gray-large/dp/128051?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=K%26H%20Pet%20Products&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxdHS85mg3wIV1FmGCh0cWQdrEAQYASABEgLejvD_BwE
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My late Aussie Ike was always hot. Even at age 14, he still preferred to sleep on tile or cement floors (which in Michigan, are COLD) despite some creaky joints. I bought him a nice ortho bed - he hated it, slept on the floor next to it and used it as his pillow. But he also loved to lay in front of a fan; so that's what I'd do for your "hot" dog.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
Crowe wrote:

Dr. Doug, if you read this, your thoughts on dogs sleeping in 52 degrees as it relates to joint issues. Jake, who already has bad hips, just turned 10 and Jesse will be 10 in April. Thanks.

While the ambient temperature is a factor, more important is insulation from a heat sucking surface, like concrete. An egg crate mattress is usually sufficient.

I've found this whole situation unusual and can't figure why one of your dogs has this issue and the other doesn't. Good suggestions about increasing air flow to reduce condensation to deal with the issue, but I still wonder why.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
exactly
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If the wetness is due to "condensation", you need air flow to remove the moist vapors before they condensate on the pad. So, air circulation is the answer.

However, you will still want to get to the root cause which could be just a natural occurrence due to your dog's body, or it could be due to being too hot, or from being overweight, or to a lesser degree, a medical issue.

But for now, to solve the issue, air circulation will dissipate the vapors into the surrounding space and not let it linger and condensate on the dog's sleeping pad.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry colliehauler! I should have been more specific! My concern also is that 52 degrees is too cold and it may have other health implications. Their coats are nice and thick, even after grooming. Jake is a little furnace when he sleeps-he emits huge amounts of heat. Even though they are in separate crates it might be enough to keep both of them warm.

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would think 52 degrees would be more then cool enough without a fan. You added a lot of information. I envisioned the dog was upstairs in a warm house in a crate with limited air movement.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's a wire crate so there's plenty of circulation. We do keep a towel over the top (not blocking where he breathes) as the basement is about 52 degrees and I'm a little concerned about joints. Jake, our other springer, sleeps next to him in his crate and does not have the same issue.

Crate doors are closed so they don't go out and explore at night and get into something they shouldn't. We are very diligent in reducing that risk but sometimes spit happens. I feel the risk of other issues outweighs the risk of a fire. After watching my BIL's cocker suffer from eating a battery and having one of our Gordon's get wrapped in a venetian blind cord I am a firm believer in crate training. Every vet I've had has agreed. My previous dogs also used to sleep on the bed but they were bed hogs!

I think I will look into a fan to keep air circulating. We are having the heat hooked up down there in a few weeks but only plan on keeping it around 60.

Dr. Doug, if you read this, your thoughts on dogs sleeping in 52 degrees as it relates to joint issues. Jake, who already has bad hips, just turned 10 and Jesse will be 10 in April. Thanks.

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used a crate and never will. They have gel memory foam dog beds.

Agree with others sounds like not enough ventilation might try a fan. It's not uncommon for the Collies to sleep on the tile floor in the kitchen or bathroom if they get warm and move back to the bed when they cool down. I keep a fan on in my bedroom and in the RV and keep both at around 68 degrees year-round .