cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CBD oil

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if anyone is using CBD oil for anxiety in their dog. There is a vet, Dr. Michael Fox, that has a column in our Sunday paper that suggested it. I talked to my vet and they do offer it. In fact her mother is using it for her dog and it is working for her.

We are now using ElleVet, cbd oil, and it does seem to help him. But wondering about long term use.

Just a fyi, he is a rescue and have no idea his background, except to know he was found in a crate in the woods. He has been with us for 2 years now and is blind.

Thanks in advance for any information.
LUVRVN
47 REPLIES 47

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs mostly have anxiety because of their owners and lack of exercise
What an ****** statement!

have two dogs from the same litter. They both turned 14 a week ago. One is completely different from the other. The one that I want to try CBD oil with has a leg tremor and hates loud noises. Has NOTHING to do with exercise and how we treat them otherwise both dogs would exhibit the same behavior.

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
ppine, I am not sure if you are referring to my original post, however it hurts me that you would make this remark. First off, we have had dogs for over 35 years. That is why we started rving 35 years ago so we could take our dogs with us. Every dog we have had, which is 14 in all, none have never spent time in a kennel except at the vets or a groomers.

10 years ago we decided to only rescue senior dogs. Every rescue dog we have brought into our home has had issues. Most people would not even think of adopting them because of not only the issues, but the amount of money that is required to provide the care, but we have. Andy, the rescue that I am referring to in this post was found in a crate in the woods. He apparently hadn't eaten for a long time. It took the rescue group weeks to get him to eat small portions of food. He was blind and very anxious however we knew he needed to be in our home. Our vet and the ophthalmologist have helped us greatly with him. However his anxiety still is a problem. We are retired and are with him all day. The CBD oil has helped with his anxiety and that is all that matters to me.

Maybe you have never rescued a senior dog with issues. We have done the best we can. He has also been seen by a neurologist due to some other issues.

Thank you Dr. Doug for your kind words.
LUVRVN

dturm
ppine wrote:
...Dogs mostly have anxiety because of their owners and lack of exercise. Drugs should be used as a last resort.

I've got to take issue with this part of your statement. Many anxiety issues stem from life experiences and genetic predispositions. Some are natural instincts taken to an extreme - fear of storms.

Exercise and how we interact with the dogs certainly can help lessen and in some cases cure the anxiety or make them worse.

Actually waiting to do drugs as a last resort is a poor choice. When a behavior becomes habit, it's much harder to train or break the behavior. The longer the behavior is present, the harder it is to eliminate it. The drugs, either OTC or prescription can speed the treatment or therapy to eliminate the anxiety. They are not just to blunt the response, although that is often how they are thought of and used.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take some CBD oil. I have smoked some and used tincture. Can't tell how effective it is yet.

Dogs mostly have anxiety because of their owners and lack of exercise. Drugs should be used as a last resort.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
You can get CBD from both hemp and marijuana. There is CDB available from marijuana that has extremely low amounts of THC in it. My vet gave me some links for me to try on my dog that has a tremor in her back legs. CBD from hemp did nothing.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your dog has anxiety, there are several things you can do to eliminate it. Take them with you often Give them lots of exercise. Make them feel safe. Encourage the behavior you want and reward it. Never reward bad behavior.

I have had 3 Border Collies. They are a smart and energetic breed. All of them have been really good and being calm because they feel safe, mentally challenged and get their exercise.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pets want safety. Give it to them.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most modern THC is too strong. I like CBD. Once in awhile I use a small amount THC via alcohol tincture. Good for some kinds of music and concerts or watching a sunset. Everything is legal in Nevada. Legalize Freedom.

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered some cbd pet oil for my dogs back disc pain he is elder 11 y.o basset hound long back this is his 3rd time in his life having issues.. He is also on chodroitin,msm,glucosamine (just started within a week ago), also on tumeric/curcumin (is on 8 months daily)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not for pets, but I have been taking a few sprays each day.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
jaminson wrote:
CBD oil from marijuana has THC in it, and that is a hard substance that effects on brain and behavior. I think it is dangerous for your dog and all around.

It comes from commercial hemp, not from marijuana. It's allowed to be sold because it does NOT contain THC.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
I'm one that believes nothing beneficial comes from marijuana.

Huh?

jaminson
Explorer
Explorer
CBD oil from marijuana has THC in it, and that is a hard substance that effects on the brain, behavior and has many undesirable side effects. I think, it is dangerous for your dog and all others around. Frankly speaking, I'm using CBD gummies when I'm nervous from https://baeys.com/what-is-cbd/ https://baeys.com, best in quality. As far as I know, It is 100% natural and no THC. But I don't think that a dog will eat it. Only, if you use them for your personal calmness. Although, I had a cat who preferred cucumbers and green onion. No one can know what these animals have in their heads. ๐Ÿ™‚

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Daughter had better luck with her anxiety dog using the homeopathic remedy phosphorus 30c...her issue is puppy barometric pressure..thunderstorms or feeling it is coming. So this is for noise phobias.

It worked better in this case than CBD or the bach rescue remedy.
Donna

Personalizedtsh
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using CBD from miamirave, best in quality.