cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charlie crossed the bridge last night

juliev
Explorer
Explorer
Our 10 year old poodle, Charlie, crossed the bridge last night. We applied Frontline about 9:00 in the evening, by 3:00 AM he was in full seizures that would not stop (in spite of the fact that we washed it off almost immediately). We got to the ER Vet and his body was entirely rigid and he was gasping for breath, so we opted for euthanasia rather than putting him through a bunch of painful tests. The vet agreed that this was probably the best course of action.

Charlie was a great dog, traveled from coast to coast to coast and back again and lived many great RV adventures. He never met a human or dog that he didn't like, and was totally obsessed with his tennis balls. The house is really quiet this morning with only 4 dogs.

RIP - Fuzzybutt

Julie

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Lord I can imagine how heartbroken you are right now. I worry every time I use Advantage on Bubba, I did two days ago, after his bath. We are on our trip to Cape Cod.
Fleas can do a ton of damage so we do what we must.
I am so sorry for you loss, he looked like a pretty happy, healthy little guy.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Julie, I'm sure you've been Googling Frontline+seizures. It happens and TG the rest of your dogs are okay. Charlie may have had especially sensitive or thin skin and it sounds like the spot treatment might have been absorbed quickly rather than dispersed all over his coat. It's so tragic when a beloved pet dies from an accident. Maybe this precaution will help someone else, but I know there's an empty place in your heart and in your RV.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Charlie.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Did the vet have any comment about whether or not Frontline could have triggered the seizure?
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

juliev
Explorer
Explorer
"How long after application can my pet be bathed or go swimming?
A. FRONTLINE Plus remains effective for 30 days, even if your pet swims or is bathed. After application, keep your pet from getting wet for 24 hours. If FRONTLINE Plus is to be applied after a bath, make sure your pet is completely dry before application."

From the Frontline website. This application was about 2 hours after the bath (took me a while to bathe 5 of them, and Charlie was first). He was certainly dry.
Julie

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry. What a terrible shock.

The FAQs on Frontline's website have always said to wait 48 hours before/after bathing before applying. However, I doubt that would have anything to do with causing a seizure. Unless the bath was with flea shampoo?
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
I was told not to bathe the dog with a flea shampoo and then immediately use Frontline...would be too much for their system.

So sorry for your loss.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear,had a similar expierence.

juliev
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
Julie, had Charlie recently had a bath? A friend told us their vet said not to put Frontline on a freshly bathed dog, as they need their body oil for it to spread around. However, I don't believe that is included in the directions. At least it used not to be. I am so sorry for your loss and commend you for not letting him suffer anymore. RIP Charlie.

Yes! He had a bath earlier in the day. Everyone had baths, nail trims and Frontline in preparation for a trip this week. I will be sure to mention that to the manufacturer. I just read the instructions and package inserts again, and it does not mention anything about bathing.
Julie

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to loose him, I know. they never argue and are always wantingto please us and get their chin rubbed.
Condolences.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry... what a horrible thing to have to go through.

I'm an hour from the nearest emergency vet. One of the real downsides of living out in the sticks.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Julie, had Charlie recently had a bath? A friend told us their vet said not to put Frontline on a freshly bathed dog, as they need their body oil for it to spread around. However, I don't believe that is included in the directions. At least it used not to be. I am so sorry for your loss and commend you for not letting him suffer anymore. RIP Charlie.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

juliev
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Frontline on all of our dogs for years. We live in the middle of the woods, so ticks are a big problem around here. I purchased 2 packages of 3 vials. 3 of the dogs got Frontline from one box, Charlie and June got a dose from the second box. Juno - who is half the size of Charlie - is just fine. It appears that there was either an allergic reaction to the Frontline, or something else was brewing that we didn't know about and the Frontline set it off.

Within a few hours of the application he became completely limp and lost all bladder control. From there he went to seizures. When we got to the vet he was completely rigid and barely breathing so we asked the vet to just put him to sleep rather than subject him to a bunch of testing. I was surprised that he even made it to the vet. It's a good 30 minute drive and I was sure he would not be breathing when we got there.

This will be reported to Merial tomorrow. However, I don't feel like they are really responsible. All my other dogs are fine. I think Charlie was just a bad reaction and that can happen to anyone at any time.
Julie

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. RIP, Charlie
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16