Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curli air-mesh vest dog harness

wanda573
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have a Shih Tzu that gets overheated very quickly in the summer when we go on walks. He loves to eat so he needs to go on walks several times a day. I saw an advertisement for the Curli air-mesh dog vest. It is suppose to help cool the dog by the way it is made along with getting the vest wet. Does anyone use this vest for your dog? If so, do you feel that it helps keep your dog cooler? Since the instructions said to get it wet and then wring out the excess water, does your dog like wearing it?

Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
That vest doesn't look very cool. I like the ideas of the step in harness, the cooling bandanna and the water squirt bottle. I'd also suggest that your walks stay in the shade along with early morning, late evening times.

A thought: reduce the feedings a bit to eliminate the need to eliminate in midday heat. :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have used that vest on our dogs for several years. Don't know if it is cooler.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like it would restrict air flow to the dog. I use a squirt bottle to wet the top of our Rottie's fur, not soak to the skin. It acts like a full cover evap cooler and she feels cool to touch. I use distilled water so the lime in our hard water don't build up.
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Is it this?

I don't really care for vests like that. I've never seen the need for the extra fabric. Not only from a heat perspective (the more fabric the more heat the dog is going to generate, and the more it's going to be trapped), but for a longer haired dog due to the fact that any extra material is going to cause more tangling/matting.

I prefer to use a simple step in harness similar to this for my Shih Tzu. We walk very early in the morning or later in the evening, and play fetch and other games inside for additional exercise.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen or heard of those vests. Edit: I just looked them up. THey might be cooler than another type of that kind of harness, since the mesh fabric should breathe better than solid fabric. Personally, I don't see how they would really help cool the dog.

I have used Outward Hound Cooling Bandanas. They help. You soak it in water and then put it on the dog.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder