cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog fence when sitting outside camper with dog

tarheelman
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on dog fence for golden doodle when setting outside camper with dog
Robby
DW,2 Boys 13& 16
MAX The Yellow LAB
Keystone Passport 290BH,TV F150 5.4 V8 4x4 Automatic
14 REPLIES 14

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to remember is that it isn't just about how well-behaved YOUR dog is, but about all the other dogs and people.

I've had kids run straight into my campsite at my dogs. I've had loose dogs run into my campsite. I've had coyotes come near. And so on.

The last time I used a tether, two loose schnauzers stood just out of my dogs' reach, marked the area, and antagonized my dogs.

Having the dogs on a leash keeps them close enough to me that they are less stressed and/or intimidated. And I am close enough to them and have direct control over them so I can quickly move them away from a potential situation.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
15 foot leash connected to stabilizer jack but she just sits with us and doesnโ€™t bark or bother anyone.
She is a good camper!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used the X pens for 20 years from collies, to Cavaliers and now our two small kiddo's. I agree it's best to inquiry about using a pen. I know recent changes to Thousand Trail parks is two fold, the pens should be contained within the area of your awning and no more than 24" in height.

Our dogs are never outside without us sitting with them and we sometimes leash our excitable one in addition to the pen.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
The best investment is getting a professional dog trainer to teach you how to work with your dog. If you spend the time with your dog itโ€™ll pay dividends for the rest of the dogโ€™s life. My dogs will stay by our side as long as I want and can walk next to us without a leash (but I always have a leash on per the rules). Itโ€™s so nice to have these dogs behave better than our kids ever did.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Some campgrounds have sprinkler systems and don't want anything stuck in the ground. Always best to ask the campground management first.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Those dogs can jump! A rope is a better option attached to the RV or TV IMO. Those screw ins MAY work for smaller dogs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
NatParkJunkie wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
.....screws into ground/attach leash og has free roam of CG site but not running loose
*we used one for our 78# Border Collie/Lab.

No!
4 nights ago, the neighbors in the next camp site over tethered their 80+ pounder on a spiral screw in stake in the ground. It charged me and my dog and popped the stake right out of the ground. It wasn't pretty.

That had more to do with an aggressive dog, poor owner control then the spiral stake

We used spiral stake with our 78# dog and never had an issue
Course she didn't 'charge' at people of other dogs
*except for cows....she really, really wanted to herd cows
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I just carry (2) 10' tie-out cables for when we are sitting under the awning. It just makes sure my two are close by (usually just laying on the mat watching the world go by) and I snap the opposite end to a carabiner snapped to something on the trailer. I think my Aussie could go over just about any kind of fence if he was properly motivated - and a bunch of giggling kids would be tops on his list!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
NatParkJunkie wrote:
No!
4 nights ago, the neighbors in the next camp site over tethered their 80+ pounder on a spiral screw in stake in the ground. It charged me and my dog and popped the stake right out of the ground. It wasn't pretty.

I doubt the outcome with this dog/owner would have been any different if this dog had been on a leash. I suspect the dog would have pulled the leash out of the ownerโ€™s hand. An inattentive owner using a tether in place of training to control their dog.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
Despite the naysayers on this thread, we've been traveling with a pet fence since 2006. It's basically 3 sections of X-pen that's 42" and one section under the rig that's 36". My daughter's Golden Retreiver and Puggle were fine in there, but I wouldn't let them out by themselves.

There are definitely parks that don't allow pet fences and that's just the way it is. But many, many more allow them in my experience than don't.

Y-Guy
tarheelman I never really noticed until recently but I'm seeing more and more campgrounds ban the pet fences. Mowing was the reason at one place, another said it was an insurance requirement and one other said they've had to many jump over and take after another animal or left outside alone. I'm not sure the real reason why it seems to be more common now, but just be sure you call ahead and verify the rules of the campground you are at.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only use a leash when outside the camper for several reasons:

1. it ensures that I am paying attention to what my dog is doing

2. it ensures that I will be able to quickly interact if a kid or another dog suddenly approaches my dog

3. it ensures that I am following campground rules and that my dog is not left unattended at any time.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
.....screws into ground/attach leash og has free roam of CG site but not running loose

No!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
1st ....check with CG that dog pens are allowed

2nd ...golden doodles are not small dogs and can overcome dog pens

3rd ...pets should be on leash when outside the RV and under direct control of owner

Dog stake with swivel.....screws into ground/attach leash og has free roam of CG site but not running loose
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31