cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,042 REPLIES 2,042

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
I see, tough circumstances. You're doing well so far. Have him checked for a chip yet at the Vet's? That's how I found the owner of a cat two years ago?

Keep trying to find him a good home. If you were nearer to Boston we'd probably take him.

๐Ÿ™‚
Ray

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Can't. Spot's a super nice cat, but Alex is not about to tolerate another cat in the house. He's fully capable of ugly behavior beyond belief at this stage in his life.

I'll take care of Spot as best we can, but it's not fair to him to have to live in the garage, when all he wants is to be an indoor kitty on the sofa or a nearby chair. Not a chance of that with Alex standing guard.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Spot's definitely into walking with humans. Looks like this will be our morning ritual.

He discovered the north porch yesterday, and decided laying on the chair next to me was a good deal. I read, he lounged.

I think he needs a family who will let him share the sofa or have his own chair. He just needs to be with people, not necessarily in the middle of them -- although he does like a good cuddle about once a day.

Okay everybody, given the first two paragraphs above, anyone giving odds that Wanderlost will keep Spot??

He's on the verge of being adopted by Spot.

:W
Ray

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot's definitely into walking with humans. Looks like this will be our morning ritual.

He discovered the north porch yesterday, and decided laying on the chair next to me was a good deal. I read, he lounged.

I think he needs a family who will let him share the sofa or have his own chair. He just needs to be with people, not necessarily in the middle of them -- although he does like a good cuddle about once a day.

Czarny, black cat

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
He likes to go walking with his people, which is kind of different. But he'll stick with us the whole 1600 feet to/from the mailbox. Definitely a people cat.

Many years ago, we had an orange cat, Tiger, who would walk with us around the entire neigborhood! We tried everything to shoo him back home, but he'd follow us the entire walk! Finally, we gave up and let him just follow us on our walks. Other people got the biggest kick out of seeing Tiger do this.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
He didn't like having his feet wet this morning, so he asked to be carried on our walk down to the gate and back. Then we sat on the porch rocking chairs, while I read and he lounged, occasionally chatting to me.

Meanwhile, Alex snarled out the door, and Bobbi trilled at us, wanting to come out and play. After about a half hour, Spot decided he needed to lay on some boxes in the garage, so we closed him back inside. We then let Alex and Bobbi out, but she didn't stay long. I guess she doesn't like wet feet, either--or maybe she was miffed because I didn't sit outside with her, too. Well, she chose the shaded porch, not the sunny one...

Alex is still sitting by the pool, looking disgruntled. Bobbi's asleep in my lap.

I can see that this fostering business is going to be really complicated...especially with Mr. Grumpy Pants thinking about acting up again.

Sigh. Alex loves all people, but the last cat he liked was his best buddy, who has been dead almost six years. He's just not willing to accept more cats -- Bobbi's bad enough.

Czarny, black cat

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've never met a "loves-everybody-people-cat" that was female. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen one. The girls are more discriminating, I think. :W Our Edna is a one-person kitty and luckily, I'm the one. We even "talk." :B
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot came through healthy and, much to my surprise, only 13.2 pounds. But it's all muscle and big feet. He got his shots, and I posted him on Petfinder for adoption (should be up in a couple days).

As you can see, he was real bothered by the vet visit. Just found a comfy location and relaxed.

Czarny, black cat

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
In cats, large and sweet seem to correlate. I have no scientific basis for why, but my experience has been that most really big cats are really nice. A lot of those big tomcats are just complete love bugs.

The thing is, though, if you don't get them fixed they soon become a problem in the house and one suspects that may be why they end up on the streets. Cats are a lot harder to "train" than dogs and I've never met anyone who taught a tom not to mark.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot goes to the vet this afternoon for an exam, tests, and shots. Then we'll get with the local rescues about neutering him and putting him up for adoption on Petfinders.

He likes to go walking with his people, which is kind of different. But he'll stick with us the whole 1600 feet to/from the mailbox. Definitely a people cat.

Czarny, black cat

I also think it's wonderful that you took the time and effort to help out a homeless cat that very definitely needed help!

sandersmr
Explorer
Explorer
He's a handsome fellow. I had a cat that large that was a real sweetie until small kids came over - that got his back up for sure.
Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

Mr__Mik
Explorer
Explorer
He's beautiful. Having just lost our Mitzi, we'd LOVE to give him a great home with two beautiful girlfriends, and a Puggle that loves cats. Course, we'd have to change his name to something that starts with an "M", but being in Wisconsin, I'm thinking there's no way we can afford to get him here . . . ๐Ÿ˜ž

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
He's a beautiful cat, looks young and well cared for. You just have to believe something happened as he doesn't seem like a dumpee. He might have jumped out of a car when people were moving or traveling. At any rate, thanks so much for taking care of him. He sounds like a sweetheart and I hope he finds a home.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Living in the garage room, without people, Bushey? Nah, not fair to him. He's happiest when around people, and we don't spend a whole lot of time in that room.

We also have to choreograph who's outside when, so everyone gets their daily walks in without running into each other. Makes life much too complicated for us, and not the best for all the cats.

Spot needs his own home and his own people.

Hi,
Is there any chance for you to have him checked for a chip by a Vet?
They usually do it free of charge. That's how we found out the owner of the cat that came to live with us.
Ray