cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,042 REPLIES 2,042

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Bless you and a prayer for comfort and easy recovery!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Dash. It was a very pleasant anniversary.

Today was a lovely spring day. Mama Doe tasted some nopalitas (pickled prickly pear strips) before deciding she'd rather eat grass. The fawns haven't been up near the house in several days.

While I was at the hospital getting all the pre-surgery paperwork done, WLToo saw the Siamese mix jump up on our window ledge and look in. Alex saw it, fuzzed up and ran to the door, where he did his "I'm a fierce kitty" impersonation. Spot woke up, ran into the room, and WLToo said he had a completely baffled look. The other kitty had already left, so all Spot knew was Alex was having a fit of some kind. But Spot fuzzed up, too, just in case...

I'll be off the net a few days. Having major surgery tomorrow, and for the few days in hospital, I'm not about to haul in any electronics. It will just be my reading glasses and paperback books.

Then I won't be able to pick up either cat for however long they tell me, since they both weigh over ten pounds. Keeping Alex off my belly might be a bit of a challenge, but I'm sure a couple of pained filled shrieks should keep him at bay for a few days (ok, minutes).

Be back by this weekend, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Just_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Happy Anniversary!
X-2, keep the stories coming...:B
04 Monaco Signature
A 45' Monster with a DD 60 series 515 HP
Towing a Jeep Commander with a "Hemi"

DAM STALE DONUTS

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Anniversary!
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Well, it kept raining, to a total of 1.62", and the pool did overflow. So today WLToo put more decalcifier in there to get the mineral deposits off the tile edge. Darned water around here is so hard that you can almost chew it... We have a water softener, but that's only for inside the house. At least the rain was mineral free and ph neutral.

Spot has figured out that if he comes to me for pettins when Alex is on my lap, Alex gets cheesed off and leaves. So Spot's been coming for pettins several times a day now. Stinker.

Today's our 35th wedding anniversary, so we actually went out for brunch. I may get hungry again in a day or two.

Eating out is not a regular thing. One, we did it for many years working, so it's not a big attraction. Two, we're better cooks generally. Three, if we don't need to go anywhere, we don't go. Four, it's not in the budget anymore.

But today was special, so we ate brunch, then drove around the area, just enjoying the warm and clear day. Coming back, we noticed several neighbors are putting up wildlife fences. Guess they don't want to share their land with the deer. Luckily, on our side of the road, we and the neighbors are not so "exclusive." The only place we'll want the deer to stay out of will be the garden that we'll eventually put in.

Alex is insisting on his dinner now. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
kokosfriend wrote:
Ah, how many cats now?? Lucky cat!

Just the two, Barb, Spot, the original subject of this thread, and Alexander the Grrreat, our sixteen-year-old tuxedo cat.

They've worked out an interesting dynamic. Spot really wants to play with Alex, but he's so big that his play gets too rough for Alex. So Alex will go running through the house, with Spot on his tail, but the second Alex jumps up on something, it's like a "safe" location. Spot stops chasing and just sits there. The place Alex jumps up on doesn't have to be high, like the piano. It works if he jumps up on the window sill, a whole 18" above the floor.

Rained over an inch from last night until about an hour ago. The pool is so full that just a tiny bit more rain will cause an overflow. We desperately needed that rain. I can hear happy birds singing; can't see them, though.

The calendar just popped up and reminded me it's Advantage Multi day.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, how many cats now?? Lucky cat!

Barb

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
krisfelix19 wrote:
Poor cat! Hope he finds a great home.

He did. Ours. At the moment, he's napping on the footstool in front of the glider rocker. He's literally covering the entire footstool.

Biiiiiig cat. Vet says he's a good weight; he's just huge.

He seems to have figured out pettins. He's coming to us both several times a day now for love. I try to let him stay as long as he wants, but too often my arm goes to sleep before he's ready to get off. Last night he laid on the chair side table and put his head on the arm, next to my hand. That worked well - my arms didn't go to sleep, and he stayed there until he was ready to move.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
He sure did!
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

krisfelix19
Explorer
Explorer
Poor cat! Hope he finds a great home.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
double post

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
`My dogs have to have a helping of Cheerios every time I eat some!! Sometimes the cats will try one.

Barb

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot decided to share my cereal this morning. I eat it dry, and he heard the crunchy sound, so he came to inspect. I let him smell a piece, and he promptly ate it. He ate four pieces before deciding he'd had enough, then he moved to the window bench and took a long nap. He's getting more inclined to inspect and taste things other than cat food, although he still much prefers the cat food. Nothing he's tasted so far has become more than a once or twice thing.

That's good. It's enough that Alex wants to share people food...

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Some of the bucks still have their antlers. The real big one with the trophy rack was just outside our fence yesterday, staring at Spot, who was staring right back and slowly creeping forward toward the fence. The fog was still burning off, and the junipers and tall grass looked like smoke was drifting up, which lent a spooky quality to their interaction.

Then I sneezed and they both dashed in opposite directions... Drat.

Today's another gloriously beautiful day, in the 70s already. I do love "winter" in the Texas Hill Country. Grasses are greening up, breezes are warm, boaters are out on the lake, and more and more birds are singing. We even have a possibility of more rain in the forecast (fingers crossed).

It's too pretty to stay inside. Think we'll go trim a live oak. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
RTompkins3 wrote:
He looks like he's reading the Kindle :).

He does take a close look at everything he thinks is new. Today he just had to explore the HVAC repairman's van. Luckily, we saw him in it and got him out before the repairman was finished.

He and Alex did a lot of dashing in and out today, since it was warm enough to open the door and let the place air out.

Mama Doe and all three fawns smelled banana peels and came right up. I also tossed a few carrots out there. One carrot end was big enough that the single fawn took a good ten minutes of gnawing and worrying it before it finally got it down to bite sized pieces. Was very interesting to watch.

WLToo has named the fawns: the big, brave twin is Han, the smaller, timid one is Spooky, and last year's fawn is Solo. He was the one who said he wasn't going to name anyone except Mama Doe..... The twins have lost their bumps and have velvet now, so we should be seeing bare-headed bucks soon.

We heard a variety of bird song today, but couldn't see anyone. Must have been inside the junipers, singing because they were happy that it actually rained a little.

'Course, by this afternoon, the air was crackling dry again, but at least the dust was out of the air for a little while.

Tomorrow's supposed to be in the high 70s. Looking forward to another day with the house open to the breeze.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat