cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,042 REPLIES 2,042

dturm

Sandy has had the ablation procedure on her back 3 times over the last 5 or so years.  They help tremendously, but unfortunately don't last permanently.  The 6-12 months seemed to be the outcome for her.   Good luck to your spousal unit!!

Merry Christmas to all.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

We had a short bout of cold air, but are now back to lows in the upper 40s/lower 50s and highs in the 60s.

Spousal Unit felt good enough to try his hand at my battery-powered lawn mower.  He got a good part of the front done.  Said it was kinda like using his walker, but louder...

He'll be having a nerve ablation done first week of January.  It's supposed to stop the back pain for 6-12 months.  As good as his healing is, I expect it will be on the lower side of that timeline, but even that will be an enormous relief.

Czarny has been sticking very close to the house, strolling from one deck chair to another, or laying in the sun on the south porch.  No signs of the coyote pack lately; I hope they've moved on or been taken care of elsewhere.

This has to be a short one.  Have to finish editing late BIL's western, so SU can do any fixes before publishing it for BIL's family.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

We have been invaded by a pack of coyotes -- and not just ordinary coyotes.  Noo, these are a mix of coyote and either dog or Mexican wolf, as their legs are longer, heads are bigger, and they're not the standard coyote gray.  They are trying to establish a new territory due to all the new construction, so they are killing any other predators they think are competitors.  They've torn apart several pets, without eating them.  Neighbors who walk are now packing to protect themselves and any pets walking with them.

One of them ran past our house and down the hill yesterday, upsetting three bucks and a doe in our meadow.  Thankfully, Czarny was under the deck and immediately came inside.  I don't know if that coyote was the advance or tail end Charlie, as we didn't see the rest.  Haven't seen them today at all, but Czarny's sticking very close to the house, mostly on/under the deck.

When I have to go down into the meadow, I'll carry, too.  Enough folks in the area are concerned that this pack may not last long.  Hopefully.

At least the feral hogs haven't reached us yet.  Knock on wood.

Gettin' kinda lively around here...

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Aannnd Autumn has returned.  Highs in the 50s and strong winds.  Czarny tried being outside, but that wind hurt his kitty ears, so he's spending the day inside with us.

Might have to fire up the fireplace tomorrow; low tonight will be about 37.  Clear and dry, though, so the solar panels are definitely producing more than we're using.

Ah, I see it's time to head over to Sister's for leftovers.  Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

A couple of chilly days and we're back to sunshine and warm.  I do love it here.

Czarny is happily running in and out, as we can keep a door open for him.  We've been frantically wrapping Brother and SIL's presents, as they'll be staying with us a few days starting tonight.  The other presents can wait a few days.  We're actually finished shopping for everyone else; only have to mail two packages this year, and publish one book on behalf of late BIL.

We came up with a join Christmas present for us.  Next week, we'll buy ourselves an electric log splitter, so we can use all the fireplace length cuts the arborist did for us while working on our trees.  Which reminds me, we need to get him back on that project, now that it's finally cooled down.  Good thing is we don't need to buy firewood; just a splitter.

Sister said younger nephew would be glad to do the hauling and splitting.  The hauling up from the meadow I'll take him up on, but I do want to play with the splitter myself...

I see a vehicle coming up the drive; it's Brother and SIL.  Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Band performance went really, really well.  We even made the local paper for a nice change.  It was 78 degrees when we started, so my Christmas tee shirt was highly appropriate, but I should have worn shorts, too...

Mother Nature has decided today is a cooldown.  Had to put the pants back on.  Meanwhile, Czarny went outside, decided cold wind blowing into his kitty ears was not fun, and is spending the day on one of his towers or on my lap.  It's a rough kitty life...

Time to rehearse my parts before chorale rehearsal.  Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

One band and one chorale performance under my belt.  Both went very well.  Next up, band performance the the Main Plaza Christmas lights ceremony tonight.  Will have to leave early to get there and offloaded, as they close all the streets around the plaza at 5:00.  At least it's warm, as in a high of nearly 80 today.  Wearing my Christmas tee shirt instead of a sweater.

Roving chorale performances at the local farmer's market and H.E.B. grocery store coming up on the same day, plus another formal performance.  Couple more band performances, then we're done until January, when we start rehearsals for a huge concert in our historic theater and performance venue in February.  Director wants me to play piano, which means the entirety of January will be practice, practice, practice!!

No more Mom medical appointments until January, and only three for Spousal Unit and me until then.  So a lot of driving is off my schedule for a bit.  Whew.

Need to load instruments now.  Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad the weather turned cooler for you and you got much needed rain. Even if Czarny resents it. Glad youโ€™re keeping up with stories!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Tales of the Oil Patch is out -- Spousal Unit's name is on the cover. I'm on the cover of PinUp Noir 2.

Now I'm back to editing my late BIL's western. We hope to have it published before Christmas.

Weather's finally decided it's autumn. Even got a bit of rain, which annoyed Czarny enough that he's spending today in one of his towers.

I like it when it cools enough to become soup weather. Toss ingredients into the crockpot, let it cook until the aroma absolutely requires one to eat it, and dig in. It's also a great excuse for baking cornbread...

Oh, well. Break's over, back to editing. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on being published. Glad your nephew is stepping in to relieve the holiday pressure. Family's good that way. Sounds like Czarny is glad to have the swooping bullies gone too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
October through December tends to be my busiest time of year. With hauling people to medical appointments (even one or two of my own), practices and then performances of my community band and chorale, all the festivals and Christmas markets (where I do most of my Christmas shopping), our writer's group potluck, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve -- just being able to sit down for a few minutes is a rare thing.

Good thing is my nephew, who's just moved to the county seat about 12 miles from us, wants to host the Thanksgiving gathering. All we have to do is roast some vegetables. That's one less thing to get all exercised about...

My latest short story was published yesterday, in the anthology called PinUp Noir 2. I used a lot of goose puns in it... Spousal Unit and I will be published in another anthology in a couple weeks; I don't know the title yet.

Meanwhile, Czarny has been thoroughly enjoying the cooler weather, spending more time outside on/around/under the deck than inside. The does are hanging around the house, where the bucks tend to not venture, but it's time to go into deer watch each time we drive somewhere.

I see it's past bedtime. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your SU has been through a lot this year. Iโ€™ve no doubt he was tired. About 5 years ago I found myself becoming easily tired. Doc said what do you expect? Youโ€™re past 65 so youโ€™d better let off the accelerator somewhat. Thanks, Doc. :B

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Well, I did need that windbreaker right up until we performed. Performance went well, then I packed up, loaded the pickup, then toured the crafts, ate Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus, a Reuben sandwich, had some cider, and listened to other bands. Drove to the library where Spousal Unit was one of the featured local authors (he sold one physical book and a couple more e-books), then finally went home. It was oddly exhausting.

Doing the outside chores is a whole lot easier, now that the heat has finally abated. We were even able to turn off the air conditioner for a couple days, before it got very warm and humid. A couple hundredths of rain settled the dust, so we've been hanging out on the deck. So nice.

Stephany, when it's finished, I will take pictures. Right now, it looks like a tiny gray bowl...

Back to crocheting. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Stephany
Explorer
Explorer
I love manatees! Sure hope you post a pic when you are done crocheting yours!

Stephany
Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you caught a break from the heat. What about donating some of those instruments to the local high school band? Definitely I would keep the fife though. Even I can play the fife and Iโ€™d be using it for Hogmanay and Burnsโ€™ Night. Speaking of which everything is set up and ordered. Had to get 3 haggis (haggi?) for the bun fight this year because we have another 5 couples joining us. Give Czarny pets from us.

Magnus