cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Come Some People Can Be So Cruel

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Many people couldn't imagine leaving their pet behind to ride out the rising waters alone, but apparently not everyone feels that way.

Police Chief issues Harsh Warning After Dogs Are Chained Outside in Rising Waters During Hurricane
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
22 REPLIES 22

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
If I was in that situation I would always make sure my dog goes with me, but as for the wife well she's on her own..

:B

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
I did hear that some of the rescue boats were refusing to take pets so that they had room for more people. So it was either leave the dog or stay behind.

It would be a tough decision but my best suggestion would be for DW to be strong and I'd be back for her and dogs asap when the water drops.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I did hear that some of the rescue boats were refusing to take pets so that they had room for more people. So it was either leave the dog or stay behind.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
While most of us view pets as family that is not always the case. Some people are barely able to care for themselves let alone a pet. Some people are just plain stupid as well.

The sad part is a lot of lives will be lost including lot's of pets.

I agree. When you are fearing for your family's lives, bringing along "the dog" may be just too hard? When the rescue boat is headed your way and you're frantically trying to think of the twenty most important things to bring, perhaps the dog is item #25? I don't know - I've never been in a truly life-or-death situation, and have been blessed with the means to evacuate WITH my dogs, so I don't want to throw rocks. But we all know darn well that there are people who own pets who really shouldn't. And a lot of those are going to die.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You have to realize that USA is a nation of many cultures. Not everyone sees a dog in the way that we see them. Our dogs are indeed like kids and extremely well cared for but there are people who have dogs tied up in their yard all the time. There are also people who let their dogs run loose and get run over. They dont look at them the same as you or I. 55 years ago as a kid I know that it was much more common for people to have a dog tied up in the back yard then there was for it to be in the house or even sleeping with you.

You and I dont like it and I think they shouldn't even be allowed to own a dog but they are and the dog is just an after thought to them. They may only see it as a tool to be a watch dog and nothing more. In some places of the world they eat dogs and worship cows and I just went to Culvers burgers.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I could NEVER abandon my pet. And, if I were in desperate straits, my pet would be right with ME. If I saw another animal in trouble, I would help it the best way I could too. I don't believe any animal should ever be tied up. There in NO good reason to ever tie up a pet. Now roast me if you want, but We both know who the stupid one is.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:

I know humans win, but you don't tie up a dog or any pet to a tree in a flood zone.

^^This.^^

No way would I judge someone who had to flee and leave their pet(s). But to tie an animal to a tree during a flood is both incredibly stupid and incredibly cruel. Why would you sentence your pet to almost certain death by drowning instead of giving it a chance to escape?
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Watching from afar. Don't judge. If you have to choose between humans and animals humans win.

I know humans win, but you don't tie up a dog or any pet to a tree in a flood zone.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Crowe wrote:
Watching from afar. Don't judge. If you have to choose between humans and animals humans win.

I agree there are life and death decisions being made, I would not judge or comment unless you are in their shoes.
At some point, on some level animal life becomes secondary. Many are in a true crisis situation.
We like to pretend imagine our pets as our kids, however when human life is at stake there is a real difference.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
RV2GO
I dont mean that there are dogs running everywhere but dogs are often not treated or cared for the same by everyone. It's probably more of a rural issue but as I said I did sees packs of dogs near Hobby airport.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I follow tracysdogsadoptions, which is a non-profit rescue started by a woman in San Antonio that monthly rescues around 100 dogs from 3 shelters near the border. Most were stray or abondoned dogs, most have some health issue , many of them suffer from mange, fleas, ticks, heartworm and starvation. In 5 years she has saved and found families in the north for over 3,000 dogs with monthly trips north to various locations to deliver the pre-adopted dogs. The dogs are vetted and cared for until ready for their new home. It is simply amazing what she has accomplished after losing her job and starting this rescue.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
While most of us view pets as family that is not always the case. Some people are barely able to care for themselves let alone a pet. Some people are just plain stupid as well.

The sad part is a lot of lives will be lost including lot's of pets.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
They are part of the family, would you leave the kids? No and not pets they depend on their owners.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold