Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need to build a ramp..

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
I need to build a ramp for our dog.
Well, we have 3 dogs, but one of them is old and he needs a ramp.

I pretty already have a good idea in mind, but im interested in seeing what others have come up with.

Thanks
-Sean
14 REPLIES 14

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer
My husband made this ramp for Bogie, our 55 pound Basset Hound. He used a 1 x 12 (1 inch thick and 12 inches wide) board he got at Lowes. He covered it with two bath mats(from Wal-Mart with suction cups on back side) that he wrapped around the edges and used screws to hold them on. He put big washers under the screw heads. The bath mats give traction for going up and down. We use it with our Saturn SUV, our Chevy Avalanche, and our RV, also. In the RV we stand it up in the bath with eye screws in the wall and a bungie cord to hold it in place. Works great and isn't heavy. When we have to use leveling blocks at a campsite and the incline is steeper we just grab the traveling/safety harness at the top of his back and help a little. Much cheaper and lighter than those we found for sale. You could cut it to what ever length you need.

2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
Its stairs in general, my dog cant handle them.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought (possibly): I bought these Xtend and Climb steps for our truck camper. The grab handle folds down out of the way if you want. When folded out, it's like walking up/down a stairway; my dogs have no problem with it. It's a VERY solid feeling little thing! Folds flat and is not too heavy. Plus it's just a super-handy thing to have around for other uses.

Xtend steps
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
LinkedXJ wrote:
So i can get away with 1x1's?

I'll be using 3/4" plywood just because i have about 6 4x8' sheets of it.
With 3/4" plywood you should be able to get by with the 1x1, If it bows to much you can stiffen it up with 1x2 or 1x3. The trick is to make it as lite as possible and still work well. If it's to heavy it will be a pain in the back to use.

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
So i can get away with 1x1's?

I'll be using 3/4" plywood just because i have about 6 4x8' sheets of it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
LinkedXJ wrote:
This is a 130lb yellow lab i am talking about here... Im done picking him up.
I was temporarily paralyzed in 2011, at 26 years old, i would like to walk for a few more years.

With that being said, i nearly forgot i had posted this here.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am wanting to build something as i know it will be cheaper.
I have some 3/4" ply wood im going to use. It'll be 27 inches wide.
Havent got a length figured out yet.

My plan is to cut the plywood to size and then use 3 2x4's to string the under side. Cutting and angle on each 2x4 at each end to allow the ramp to sit flush at the ground and at the camper.
I need to figure out a way to secure it to the camper to make sure it doesnt slide out from under our large dog.

Actually have thought about making the ramp short and attaching it to the top step instead of the camper its self.
I think you may be overbuilding witch will make it very heavy. I built a ramp for my 3 Collies (heaviest 95#). I used 1/2 plywood 12" wide by 72" long. I used 1x2 around the outside perimeter along with two additional 1x2 braces spaced evenly. I attached the 1x2's with screws. On the top I put non slip tape like they use for stair treads for traction. Works well and is lite weight. I don't use anything to attach it and never had it slide out. A person could put foam tape on the ends (sticky one side soft foam other side) this would make it even leas likely to slide out.

I bought a high dollar ramp that telescopes out made out of heavy plastic with carpet. Hated it, way to heavy and would pinch your fingers going back in. The carpet was to short for the dogs to get traction on and they would slide on it. I spent over a 100 bucks for it.

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
This is a 130lb yellow lab i am talking about here... Im done picking him up.
I was temporarily paralyzed in 2011, at 26 years old, i would like to walk for a few more years.

With that being said, i nearly forgot i had posted this here.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am wanting to build something as i know it will be cheaper.
I have some 3/4" ply wood im going to use. It'll be 27 inches wide.
Havent got a length figured out yet.

My plan is to cut the plywood to size and then use 3 2x4's to string the under side. Cutting and angle on each 2x4 at each end to allow the ramp to sit flush at the ground and at the camper.
I need to figure out a way to secure it to the camper to make sure it doesnt slide out from under our large dog.

Actually have thought about making the ramp short and attaching it to the top step instead of the camper its self.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Is it out of the question to carry the dog to where he has to go? Ramps are a pita unless you stay put.

Really quite easy to use/stow

As our 68# Border Collie/Lab aged she couldn't jump up into backseat.
Ramp was placed on door sil...up/down she went.
Ramp was then slid inside on floor.
Fairly light weight, strong/sturdy.
Used it everyday

She was still able to walk up/down stairs-steps, it was the jumping up/down that was a problem
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Sean.

I made one for our 65lb lab mix out of an aluminum ramp.

All I did was reinforce it with some 2x on the back where the horizontal slats were.
I put a strip of 1/4" plywood that fit perfectly into the channel on top. Then I put indoor/ outdoor carpet over the wood.

It was very lightweight, and long enough to make a nice gradual incline/ decline. She used it for the DP, truck , and car.

Got the ramp at Harbor Freight. It was nice because it had the little feet to keep it from slipping.

Took me maybe an hour to modify. Good luck.

Cheryl
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
What you need to get your dog in and out of and how high would make a difference. We use a Petstep folding ramp for our aging 70# Golden. And used it for our previous 75# Golden oldie with bad hips and knees. Get her in/out the back seat of my high 4x4 F350 and in/out of our high 5er. Lifting her 70 lbs is not an option for me any more. Fold ramp and drop in the bed of the truck for travel.

Good folding ramps are not particularly cheap. But if you move around much, a folding ramp would be much easier than something constructed from wood. If the slope is very steep, avoid thin slick carpet for the surface. And, in my opinion, avoid the cheaper plastic telescoping ramps.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Is it out of the question to carry the dog to where he has to go? Ramps are a pita unless you stay put.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are several sites that sell Dog Ramps. I know it's cheaper to build one yourself but, maybe you can get some ideas from what's available online.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
There are aluminum ramps for pickups which are very light weight.

Just an option.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commercial available ones were to wide for our use.......rear truck door on quad cab so dog could get up/in backseat.

Built one that was 14" wide outside to outside and 48" long

1----1" X 3" X 8' (cut in half)
1----1" X 2" X 8' (cut into 12" lengths)
2----1/4" paneling 12" X 44" pieces
Some carpet to cover paneling
Some 1 1/2" wood screws

Screw the 1X2x12 2" down from each end of 1X3 and then every foot
I made the bottom edges of 1X2s flush with bottom edges of 1X3s so that paneling pieces fit down into the 1X3s
Screw paneling down into 1X2 cross pieces

Cut one end of 1X3 at 45* angle on top edge (flat edge goes onto lip of truck door sil) cut other end at 45* angle on bottom edge so it sits flat on ground.

Cut carpet to fit side to side on panel and long enough to wrap around top/bottom 1X2 and secure into 1X2s with screws/washers

This was all done with wood I had laying around.
Plywood vs paneling
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31