cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile since I have been on this board.

DW wants a Dog, looking for ideas. Some background info: DW loves dogs, for me I can take them or leave them. In the past because of this we have settled for the smaller breeds.

Our last dog was a sheltie, we think we were very fortunate that the dog had such a good disposition. This said I would love to get the same breed but I have read they don't travel as well and we might not be as lucky with #2. What everyone's thoughts?

How about other smaller breeds that travel well?

Thanks
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
64 REPLIES 64

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The smarter the better. That's why when I travel, I bring a Border Collie.

I disagree. There's a lot to be said about a lazy dufus who will obey commands and not look for trouble. I love border collies but I will never get one-I don't need a dog that's smarter than me! :B Keeping certain breeds challenged and busy presents a whole new set of issues. I know, if you train your dog well yada yada yada but sometimes one who's too lazy or stupid to do anything fits the bill.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smarter the better. That's why when I travel, I bring a Border Collie.

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had 2 Shih Tzus for the better part of 20 years. AWESOME dogs for RVing.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to have a close relationship with them. If you give them exercise, any breed will work. I travel with 3 herding dogs and they really like it.

RCandDot
Explorer
Explorer
Catahoula Leopard Cur here , I think they all like to travel as long as they can be with a loving care taker.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I guess I'm leaning toward a Sheltie again. I spoke to our local vet that we had used in the past and he is going to get in touch with some breeders in our area, so waiting to hear from him

Thanks
Mike

We are going to need pictures, ya know..... 😉
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I guess I'm leaning toward a Sheltie again. I spoke to our local vet that we had used in the past and he is going to get in touch with some breeders in our area, so waiting to hear from him

Thanks
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago we traveled with a small built shepherd. He was great. But when he go dirty or wet it was not fun. We considered it now that we are older but dw will not walk a dog in rain to cg dog park or if it is too cold out. Some places tell you that you have to board (thier place) when you leave camper for protection from temperatures if there is a power failure of air conditioning. My niece travels with a tiny poodle breed that uses pads. It works out well for them. Nothing like a good dog to travel with but I am a large breed kind of guy.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The best dog is the one that chooses you.

Bravo! Dog ownership is a partnership-if it's right just about everything else will fall into place.

There is NO "one-size-fits-all" and trying to espouse otherwise is nonsense. Are some breed's temperaments better suited for certain purposes? Absolutely. But not every dog reads the rule book. One must consider ALL attributes of the animal AND him/herself before a decision is made. To consider other's input on certain attributes is fine but to obtain a dog solely based on someone else's idea of "perfect" is irresponsible. Make your own judgement.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
parkowner, you must be a poodle owner. If so then you must know that the "standard" refers to size nothing else. Myself and many others consider the Goldendoodle to be the epitome of the two breeds. Low to zero shed, smart and easy to train, athletic, super social and great
companions. As far as size ours is 65-70 lbs so he's never mistaken for a horse, but he sure looks different after his swim. Also he keeps our groomer employed as he goes every 4-5 weeks
To quote a nursery rhyme "if you don't have a whole poodle, a half-a-poodle will do. If you don't have a Half-a-poodle God bless you!"

I guess that means you fall into the "typical poodle owner" category. If you read what I said again you'll find I didn't degrade poodles. What ever dog makes you happy is the right one. I wanted a Doberman but my wife wanted a dog that wouldn't possibly scare our young grandchildren, the youngest was 3 at the time or other people. As you can tell she got it. I don't regret it as we couldn't have gotten a better suited dog for us and our travels. It's funny when we have been in campgrounds for a few days we have run into people who upon seeing our dog have said "Oh this must be Max we've heard so much about him" That's the kind of good impression he makes on people that they tell others about him

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you’re prepared for it, a smart (intelligent) dog may not be the best choice; they easily learn things (some you want them to learn and others you may regret they learned).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best dog is the one that chooses you.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
parkowner, you must be a poodle owner. If so then you must know that the "standard" refers to size nothing else. Myself and many others consider the Goldendoodle to be the epitome of the two breeds. Low to zero shed, smart and easy to train, athletic, super social and great
companions. As far as size ours is 65-70 lbs so he's never mistaken for a horse, but he sure looks different after his swim. Also he keeps our groomer employed as he goes every 4-5 weeks
To quote a nursery rhyme "if you don't have a whole poodle, a half-a-poodle will do. If you don't have a Half-a-poodle God bless you!"

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The definitive answer is the Standard Poodle. As the name implies, they are the Standard by which all other dogs are judged. They don't shed, are intelligent and social and have the added economic benefit of keeping a quality dog groomer employed to maintain their good looks. They are also perfect in size, no one would ever mistake one for either a horse or a drowned rat.