Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New additions

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
2hrs old twins
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
26 REPLIES 26

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We had several moms reject one of their lambs this year. Frequently there is a reason we can identify for why they reject one like:
The first lamb born wonders away while mom is delivering others interrupting the bonding process. Mom and some of her lambs move away from one that is sleeping hard separating it from mom interrupting the bonding process. You get the idea. These moms typically accept the rejected lamb after a day or two in a pen with us holding her while the rejected lamb nurses. When we can identify a cause for the rejection and better still the mom eventually accepts the rejected lamb; these moms do not get a strike against them.

The two bad moms in pens right now were never separated from the lamb they are rejecting and they continue to reject the lamb after several days in the pen. They continue to head butt the lambs; sometimes slamming the lamb against the sides of the pen (ewes push away lambs that are not theirs in order to save their milk for their one lambs). We had to use a head halter in order to hold these ewes so their lamb could nurse. Both had to be chained to the wall initially because we couldnโ€™t hold them still by hanging onto the halter. These moms will leave our flock later this year.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
What do you do with the bad moms? Do you keep them hoping that you have given them lasting lessons on how to be a mom? Or do say sorry, I have to send you ........

:S
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The shepherdess set me straight.

LOL! Sometimes they know more than we do!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m thrilled every ewe we put out with the rams got bred; we have 3 rams and for 2 of them this was their first year. Iโ€™m thrilled weโ€™ve only had 3 lambs die.

My guess of 75 was based upon thinking we had more first time mothers than we realy had this year. The shepherdess set me straight.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I think the number this year is a little more than last year; both were a bit over 100

Just a curiosity thing but you estimated about 75 and you are considerably over that. I'm assuming (and you now what happens when we assume!) that there's a lot of unknowns like stillbirths, multiple births and how many breedings actually took. You must be thrilled, though, to have that many healthy little ones, although it must be a bit overwhelming!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I think the number this year is a little more than last year; both were a bit over 100.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atta girl Wendy. 111? Does that beat last year?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re done lambing. 60 bred ewes delivered 111 lambs. We still have 3 families in pens; 2 bad moms and a set of triplets where on lamb is not walking quite right (back end is not straight). We have to hold the bad moms so their rejected lamb can nurse. The crooked triplet is getting more coordinated every day; weโ€™ll wait to let them out until that lamb can get around better.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
This morning my wife let out a few families after spending the night in pens. Most of them left the barnyard out to the field with the rest of the flock. One lamb got left behind. Wendy patiently led this lamb from the barnyard out to the field towards the flock; waiting for and making sure the lamb kept up. Wendy led this lamb until mom came running down to her lamb.

Good girl Wendy!
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
As of March 19th at noon we have 91 lambs from 50 ewes; 43 of those lambs were born in the past 5 days.

Weโ€™re now counting down till the end; 10 ewes left to go.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet you're tired!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest day this year.
6 sets of twins, 1 set of triplets, and a single

Lee got a workout tonight cutting back and forth to bring down each ewe while I carried lambs. He had to stop one of the ewes several times trying to run over the top of him.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK - I am a complete sap over the videos of baby lambs!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Reunion of ewe and her lamb

Testing out new legs
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M