Did you mean: 

Please tag your pets

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs have three tags each:
The local dog (tax) tag - useless
An at home tag with our house phone number
A travel tag that has my cell number, our names and a coach description.
When traveling, both wear red harnesses, this is a left over from sailing. When you have dogs on a boat, you need to have a easy and safe lift point available. The red harness also makes black dogs more visible.

We have has some occasions where these tags helped us, but the other day a poor little beagle came by. I was able to convince him that I was a dog person (that didn't actually take long) and was able to get a hand on his collar and read the name and phone number (like above). Because his people were involved in other things (like work), he got to be a guest for the rest of the day.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
14 REPLIES 14

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I've said this before but can't repeat to many times. If you are traveling or staying a few days in one area locate the nearest vet office. We travel with elderly dogs and because we had found the nearest vet when we arrived to our destination, we were ready the next day when our little girl had a life threatening episode. We actually lost her as we entered the building, but they were able to revive her. Now when we plan our travels, I spend as much time looking up vets,reviews and directions as I do campgrounds. Carry a printed list with us and a med history for each. Ounce of prevention!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Boomerang collar tags over the tags that hang from the d rings. Collar tags won’t come off a collar and can’t snag on anything (saw a dog hung on a fence because the tag got snagged when it tried to climb over the fence).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to remember is when you are away from home with your pet, having emergency contacts can be hit or miss.

I often camp where there is no cell coverage. In addition, it may be a long way from home.

If my dog got lost, a micro chip may not be checked for at least a day maybe longer. A tag may get that number called sooner, but you may not get the message until you've driven back into an area with cell service.

Having an old fashioned barrel tag IN ADDITION to the others can allow someone to drive the dog directly to your campsite while you are still there.

Also, as I get older, I think of other precautions:

Keep a paper with a description, age, sex and name of your dog(s) on your person. If you collapse while hiking, etc., that paper can get your dog back to you if it runs off scared.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
maddog348 wrote:
"....micro chopping...."?? ouch

It's really not that bad. We use a needle that's just about the size of the one used to collect blood from people. Also, the location of the chip (between the shoulders) has the lowest pain/sensory nerve innervation as just about anywhere on the body.

Not that I'd like one put in me :B but the benefits far out weigh the minor pain.

Doug, DVM

I think maddog was referring to micro chOpping rather than micro chIpping... 🙂

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog's travel collars have the cell number stitched into the collar and also have a tag with names and numbers attached to the collar.

dturm
maddog348 wrote:

It's really not that bad. We use a needle that's just about the size of the one used to collect blood from people. Also, the location of the chip (between the shoulders) has the lowest pain/sensory nerve innervation as just about anywhere on the body.

Not that I'd like one put in me :B but the benefits far out weigh the minor pain.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
I might add a current rabies vacination and tag is advisable for any dog when camping. One never knows.

Yep. I keep a copy of the rabies cert in the glove box of each vehicle.

Many places won't accept the rabies tag as proof, so keep that in mind.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I might add a current rabies vacination and tag is advisable for any dog when camping. One never knows.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog lost his tags on the beach last week. That never happened before and he came when I called him. The d-ring on the collar pulled apart. I don't think a phone number on a tag is enough, you need the chip.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a travel tag and a home tag for each dog. They stay on the appropriate collar/harness.

The home tag has my cell phone number. The travel tag has my cell phone number AND the license plate number of my RV.

I also will use those old style "barrel" tags and put a slip of paper inside with the campground, site number, and days I am there. Just another way for folks to reconnect me with my dogs.

I also have the rabies tag and the license tag.

And yes, my dogs AlWAYS have a collar or harness on them. And if we are out of a fenced area, they are leashed.

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Besides being micro-chipped, ours also have three tags. One with the dog's name, my name, address, and cell number; a Home Again tag with a toll-free number to call (micro-chip company) and the chip ID #; and the Rabies vaccination tag, which has our Vet's name, address and phone.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on micro chopping, most if not all animal shelters can read for these chips.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
...and, in addition, ours have microchips.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro