cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about camping with a pittbull

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just bought a camper and want to get back into camping. This time around we have two dogs. Both are rescue "mutts" and one is part Pitt. First campground I called to make a reservation won't allow him because he is a "dangerous" breed. If any of you own bulls you know the BS and aggravation that goes along with this.
My question for you guys is this...what is your experiences with different campgrounds? Now I know I can say he isn't a Pitt but do campgrounds generally ask for vaccination records? These state he is a Pitt-mix so I can't hide it then.

How do those of you with larger dogs deal with this issue?

Thanks
82 REPLIES 82

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great feedback and information. Just got off the phone with our Vet. Our dog is actually due in March for his rabies vaccination. Vet says she deals with this all the time. She changed his records from Pitt mix to "Brown mixed breed" Problem solved.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like Staffordshire Terrier to me.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Based on data regarding dog attacks in the U.S. and Canada between 1982 and 2014, the dogs most likely to bite humans are:

Pit bulls.
Rottweilers.
Pit bull mixes.
German shepherds.
Bullmastiffs.
Wolf hybrids.
Huskies.
Akitas.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two dogs. One is a long legged Dachshund? and the other - anybody's guess. I actually (I know dogs very well) think she is part Rottie.
Would I tell anybody that asked?
Nope! We tell them that she is a labrador mix.

So, pick so docile breed that your dog is a mix off and proudly tell of your rescue.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been asked for her papers (or even asked what the breed is) unless I was boarding her. No one has ever had an issue with her when camping, but I suppose if it did happen (she's a Pitt mix) we'd have to go camp somewhere else.

I like the idea of getting her listed as a Terrier mix, that would probably solve the issue for you.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some Rv parks just have too many rules.
USFS campgrounds have a few rules.
The boondocks have almost no rules.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Never have been asked for any vac. records for our girls....(Brittany's)
Camp in public campgrounds like state, county or federal and there will be no restrictions.

Private campgrounds and their insurance carriers my be a problem...breed restrictions and even size restriction...

...and for certain, follow the basic pet rules - leashes, pick up poop, barking and yapping, etc.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Our last dog was a Red Nose Pit and we experienced breed discrimination in private campgrounds. It's their insurance carrier that has a list of about 10 dogs deemed dangerous. State and Fed. parks never gave us a problem. We carried his vaccination papers, but have never been asked for them. Next time you get your vaccinations try going somewhere else and list him as a "terrier mix". That helped with our first Pit. Good luck and thank you for rescuing your dogs.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand