Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question for Dr Doug

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Doc:

We have chatted before, always, very much appreciated your advise.

Here is the deal, my lab/ mix is now 14.5 years old, he seems now, to turn his nose up, at 1 scoop of dry dog food, and 1/2 can of Purina, wet food, mixed together

But Purina one wet food alone, he just chows down, so at 14.5 years old @ 75- 80lbs, walks 3 miles a week. If we lose the dry food how much should I feed him, of just the wet food alone? (2x a day, per meal)

Thanks Doc
7 REPLIES 7

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor
Great idea...thanks. Unfortunately all of us dog lovers come to this point. We will remember you suggestion when our time comes.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
And just like with Uncle Doug at the old folks home, moistening the dry food with a little warm water enables you to maintain the current diet habits if the hardness is the reason for rejecting the dry food.

This is what we do with our little one with teeth issues. We call it "gravy" and she will just stare at the bowl until we add the "gravy".

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doc and others!!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
And just like with Uncle Doug at the old folks home, moistening the dry food with a little warm water

enables you to maintain the current diet

habits if the hardness is the reason for rejecting the dry food.

X2
I just lost my 22 year this year and when his teeth problems started to affect his eating here is what I did because I certainly did not wanting to change this senior dogs diet in anyway. And I hate the added ingredients in canned food.

Take whatever amount of dry food you are feeding and put into a blender.

1.Grind it into a fine powder until all big chunks are completely gone.
2. Put ground dog food into a container and add 'hot' water to it and stir until it becomes paste like.

It will take a few tries to get just the right amount of water to make a consistency like canned dog food that will set. make a note of the right amount of water. Then press down with back of spoon. It will firm up more after refrigerated.

Make a weeks worth and Store in fridge in tight container.

This is what helped keep him alive and healthy for his additional 4 more years!

Towards the end I would cut the food in the container into squares and then roll each one into a ball so it would be easier for him to pick up and/or hand feed him. He ate this heatedly all the way up to the end. God speed my little man I miss you.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
And just like with Uncle Doug at the old folks home, moistening the dry food with a little warm water enables you to maintain the current diet habits if the hardness is the reason for rejecting the dry food.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dturm
At 14.5 many dogs tend to prefer a softer diet and since keeping calorie intake is important by all means give canned food. Follow feeding directions on the can, but adjust for weight control. Generally 1 cup dry is equivalent to about 1 can of wet.

Dental issues do happen and can have an effect on eating preference, so that is a good thing to check out.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'not Dr Doug, but the first thing I would check are his teeth and gums. He may not like the dry because it hurts to eat it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)