cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quincy the diabetic, blind dog broke her leg.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Quincy, our 10 year old Doberman was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago.
After working with our vets to get her glucose levels down with diet and insulin about 6 months into that she lost her vision. So using the riding mower we would take her for runs , actually trots, well not trots either as she is a pacer, anyway she would lead or follow the lawn mower at 7 MPH on our lanes and get in a mile morning and night.
This was to get some exercise for her.

We had travel and camping plans and felt she would be fine getting in and out of the truck and camper with our help . She is a 96lb dog.
Well Tuesday morning the FedEx man knocked on the door and she tried to get up off her pad to greet him at the door and she got snagged in her bedding and broke her femur at the top of the bone.
We grabbed her up in a blanket as a sling and carried her out to the van and rushed in to the Vet,a 20 mile trip. We called them on the way to give them a heads up.

After a cursory exam in the van they anesthetized her in the Van so it would be easier to move her and examine and x-ray her.
Because of the weak looking bone density and the diabetes and her age they were very concerned about the practicality of doing the surgery.
We felt we had to give her every chance we could but not if it means her having a miserable life. If it's horrible for her we can reappraise the situation.

They couldn't do the surgery at that time because they were overwhelmed with patients. So the plan was to do it later in the day.
Well Quincy wasn't handling the stress very well and they didn't want to risk anesthetizing her again until she stabilized some more so the surgery was postponed until the next day and they would use gas instead of IV..
Wednesday the Surgery went well and the bone was more solid then they expected. They weren't able to put as large a pin as they were hoping to use but they feel good about what they did and they wrapped some wire around also.
We brought her home today (Thursday) and considering what she has been thru she's doing ok. We had to spoon feed her because she won't eat but she has to eat to handle the insulin.
We aren't out of the woods yet but we are all trying.
Our bedroom is upstairs and she sleeps up there with us .She is very spoiled and insist on being in bed with us. But now she canโ€™t go upstairs so one of us will have to stay downstairs with her.
It is going to be a long recuperation with a lot of adjustments.
For now traveling and camping are on a back burner.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953
27 REPLIES 27

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your kind words.
We are keeping busy but it hurts a lot. She was so sweet.

1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss of Quincy. You did everything you could and provided a loving caring home.

Been a rough year.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for you two, but happy for Quincy that she passed in her own bed in her own home, with her beloved family nearby. She definitely lived the good life. RIP Quincy.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry to hear that Quincy passed away.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry to hear the news. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Quincy has been through so much lately, I am sure she is finally at peace now.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
The saddle pad sounds like a good idea.

Sadly Quincy won't be needing it as she passed away this morning at 4;30.
She had a good day yesterday, She ate and drank but was restless.
She asked to go outside several times and she pooped and peed while we supported her. We were so encouraged that we ordered her a Walking wheels doggy wheelchair from http://www.handicappedpets.com and this morning we caught them before they shipped and they easily agreed to cancel the order. Nice caring people.

In the evening she refused her food but drank a lot of water. She started having trouble breathing and got very worried and didn't want us to leave her side.
She would go through stages of calming down and be able to rest and then she would get anxious and start panting and almost panic and we would have to calm her down.
We have been sleeping downstairs with her on mats beside her pad.
When we settled in to sleep she was pretty calm and went to sleep.
Nights have been bad in that she got us up 5 or 6 times or more each night.
Last night I only had to tuck her back in twice and when I checked her at 4:30 she stopped breathing. I don't think she even woke up.
Her temperature and blood sugar were good last night but the heart gave out.

She was very, very special and dear to us.
Thanks for all your concern.

Jon and Loretta
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Farmerjon wrote:
Deb and Ed M.
Thank you for the prayers.
Last night we swapped out the towel for a

4in wide vinyl saddle cinch and holding the end rings with one hand

works better but the "assistance sling" looks better yet.
We are using either a harness or her back pack( with handle) to guide and stabilize the front end.
Loretta is going to town tomorrow (one of us needs to stay with Quincy) and she will try to find something like the "assistance sling".

Quincy is more animated now and is eating better and her blood sugar has dropped back down to a reasonable #. She even asked to go out to do her business.

Better than a saddle cinch is a saddle pad turned upside down!

Get a 'saddle seat' or 'English' style saddle pad. The heavy fleeced ones work the best. Put under the dog and bring the flaps up around the sides of the dog. Surprisingly this perfectly supports the 'whole dog' so they do NOT tip forward or back.

The flaps wrap around the dogs rib cage to support them perfectly and there are straps sewn in on each side of the pad that act as a handle for you to lift the dog. I've used it to support a 180 lb dog it works!

IMHO one of these should be included in every pet owners emergency kit. 'Saddle seat' style works best but 'all purpose' style will work as well. New $26 bucks, barn sale used $5 to $10.

Don't ask me how I know how well this works! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! A saddle cinch would work, too! Glad Quincy is feeling better!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M.
Thank you for the prayers.
Last night we swapped out the towel for a 4in wide vinyl saddle cinch and holding the end rings with one hand works better but the "assistance sling" looks better yet.
We are using either a harness or her back pack( with handle) to guide and stabilize the front end.
Loretta is going to town tomorrow (one of us needs to stay with Quincy) and she will try to find something like the "assistance sling".

Quincy is more animated now and is eating better and her blood sugar has dropped back down to a reasonable #. She even asked to go out to do her business.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sending healing prayers for Quincy!

Also, if you google "dog assistance band" - you'll probably find what I used to help my 75-lb Ike up and down the stairs: it was a nice, fleece-lined nylon band about 6" wide, with handles. I'd laugh and say it turned him into a "suitcase" - but it offered an easy way to give a large dog some lift/assistance/stability without breaking my back or risking a fall on the stairs for BOTH of us. I was able to hold Ike's handles in one hand, and keep my other hand on the stairway railing.

Something like this:
Assist sling
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck and get well soon Quincy.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
I had a diabetic dog who lost her eyesight. She had cataract surgery and could then see well - what a great day that was. Not cheap, but worth every penny for the look on her face when she came out of the surgery. Hoping for the best for your pup.

We checked into cataract surgery but were told for her it would be very risky and might not help.

How old was your dog when she had the surgery ?
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
We remember meeting Quincy in Ohio (I think). Such a good girl! We certainly hope she continues doing well, and feel certain she will with all the great care she is getting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you. Yes you have met her,it was in Branson at the Old Fella Rallies. 2011 and 2013.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953