cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please talk me out of this

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I currently have 3 dogs (2 Papillons and 1 Jack Russel). I love my dogs dearly and we take them with us (most of the time) when we travel with our travel trailer. There are a few places we like to go that only allow 2 dogs which is kind of a bummer. Usually, we have my niece stay at the house and dog sit 1 or more of the dogs when we run into this limitation.

My wife went out shopping this week and stopped by a local Pet Smart. There was a small rescue Chihuahua that my wife fell in love with. As much as I love dogs, I was hoping we could eventually get back to having 2 dogs so we wouldn't run into the 2 dog limitations. The wife's argument is we already have 3 (which is a limitation) so having 4 isn't any worse. The little guy is really cute but I need another dog like I need a hole in the head! Decisions.....
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
66 REPLIES 66

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!! You won't regret it.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Congratulations!
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
A representative of the rescue organization came over to meet us last night. She thinks we would be good parents for Pinto and we should have him in a couple of days. Looks like I will be a "Dad" again. I will post some pictures once we get him.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled with as many as 4 full size Collies and have not been turned away. I'm down to 3 now.

juliev
Explorer
Explorer
We have 4, no problem! Had 5 but lost one this past fall. We've traveled with them all, never ever had a park turn us down because of the dogs. All are small (under 20 lbs)
Julie

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
This is defihitely NOT the place for this kind of a request. Unless what you really wanted was to get the dog... in which case, you will find plenty of encouragement.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You went to the wrong place for someone to talk you out of this.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cats and dogs are like potato chips: you can't have just one. And once you're up to three the food is cheaper in bulk anyway. Fetch MG: fetch Pinto for herself and you both will be happy.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife just called. A representative from the rescue organization is coming to the house today at 5:10 to interview us. My wife doesn't ask for much so if she wants the dog, she gets it. She just informed me at lunch that she has already bought a bed for the dog. There were several applicants for the dog so I hope she doesn't get too upset if we don't get him. If we do get the dog, it will get spoiled rotten. Hopefully my Jack Russell won't be to upset. She was NOT happy with us when we got the two Papillons! She loves them now but she was used to being the center of the world. Once she saw we had enough love to go around, she was OK.

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, if it is meant to be Pinto will be yours. What a cutie pie!! We had 5 at one point and had gotten down to 2 when we rescued one in Nov. She has blended well with the other 2 and has been such a pleasure. Yes, I'm having to pay more for dog food, vet visits and just today spent $147.60 for grooming but wouldn't change a thing. Yes, we must consider what campgrounds we stay at now that we have 3, but the pleasure we have with 3 out weighs the negatives.

Hope Pinto is yours - please update!!
LUVRVN

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
I started RV'ing with 3 dogs. At 3 that is just one over the limit and many if not all CG owners let me slide on the 2 dog limit.

You've had better luck than I have. I have only had one place make an exception to the 2 dog rule (when I had 3 dogs). The only reason was it was off season/slow time in the Florida park. Luckily my wife and I enjoy staying in state parks (if there is one close to where we are going) and the Florida state parks don't have a limit.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I started RV'ing with 3 dogs. At 3 that is just one over the limit and many if not all CG owners let me slide on the 2 dog limit.

I've got to tell you though I have 4 now and 4 doesn't fly with CG owners because that is not just one over that is 'double' the CG rules.

If you like RV'ing I would pass on adopting another one.

I too have multiple dogs but IMHO letting that little one be adopted by someone else where he will be the only pet is really a far better deal for him.

He's in a safe rescue organization they won't let anything happen to him. So my vote is to pass on this little one. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I travel w 4 - 2 labs, 1 pointer/lab and an English cocker spaniel. I can't discourage you

Barn and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like he has your heart, hope he gets your home!
Enjoy when you get him…he's adorable.
BTW, we travel with two Labs and last summer we travelled three months and only times we were asked if we had pets and how many were at military bases.