cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suggetions for care of diabetic dog?

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Need suggetions for care of diabetic dog.
Our 8 yr Dobie, Quincy, has recently been diagnosed as having Diabetis.
We are working with the Vet on building up to the right insulin dose for her.And we are bringing her weight down from 98lbs.e are at 86 now. She was real fit looking at 80lbs. She's 28in tall. She has been on insulin twice a day since may 2nd. and we are graduly increasing the units given and carefully monitoring the blood sugar.
We are trying to do the best we can for Quincy. We are feeding Science Diet WD as suggested by Vet but we are concerned by the content of corn.
Thanks for any comments
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953
45 REPLIES 45

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
We have a diabetic miniature schnauzer who was diagnosed almost 7 years ago.

This is so encouraging. Thank you for posting your story.

We have finally started getting readings in the morning on the human meter that are below 300. We're going to stay at the present level of insulin for another week. We suspect that when we consult with our vet in a week, there will be another adjustment to be made.

We have read where some have a very difficult time testing at home and giving shots. Quincy is such a trooper. No problem with the lancets or needles, even though we've tried very hard to make a pin cushion out of her:)

We're hanging in there.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
We have a diabetic miniature schnauzer who was diagnosed almost 7 years ago. WD works for her and she receives insulin 2x a day 12 hours apart. We have found that being faithful to the time is critical for her. We have noticed we can tell how her numbers are from her behaviors - energy level, quantity of urine and thirst, etc. After a while you kind of get a second sense.

She is now going blind from cataracts but still fights on. We will help her along for as long as she seems happy. She has done well with this disease for so long.

It can be intimidating at first but you will learn how to manage all this. Hopefully you can get the numbers down where they need to be. Good luck with this all.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When my dog started having seizures I found a seizure group on Yahoo groups that literally saved my dogs life. Then when my horse got cushings I also found life saving tips from a yahoo cushings group. I gleaned quite a bit of great information.

I haven't used yahoo groups for a while, thank god. But I think yahoo still has them.

Join/search for a diabetic dog group and you will find information from owners who have been there done that and will help you with the care of your pet. Join a few of them and find the one that fits your needs the best.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
The only treat that Quincy gets is a few small dog freeze dried beef liver treats.
We are strict about Quincy's diet. The only thing we don't control are the critters she may eat.Our Vet is not concerned about The Mice,rats, moles and rabbits that she eats.

The exercise she gets is a lot. she is running free whenever we are outside and we keep her in sight.She wrestles and chases with our other dogs.

Twice a day the dogs go with me to check on the cows.I take the riding mower and they run all around me while we look for the cows and then while I'm walking through the cows the dogs are out exploring.

There is no way to accurately calculate the distance they cover but I travel about 2 miles in my wanderings.and the dogs go much further do to their zigging and zaggings.
Thanks for your input.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've noticed that some vets tend to push one type of food over another. Some sell Science diet in their practice and push it at every opportunity. My daughters have done extensive research on pet foods and settled on Nature's Recipe Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) Foods. We've also quit using plastic dishes for food and water due to some studies linking it to cancer.

I wish you good luck. Diet and exercise can really help.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Vet's do NOT get kick backs for the dog food. :R

Most vets carry a dog food brand that has been tested to death i.e. Science Diet. Most brands in the store do not have that type of testing behind them. You know if you get a prescription diet food from the vet it will provide what you need or don't need in the food. Can't get that assurance with commercial/designer dog food from the store.

That said. With a diabetic dog you have to be VERY aware that commercial brand dogs foods and treats have been adding all these "healthy" fruits to make their dog food more marketable. This adds sugar and sugar is not listed on the labels even in dog food without these additives. Negligible amount yes but since it is not regulated or listed on a label sugar content can vary from bag to bag and should be considered. Also keep in mind that giving unaccounted for dog treats thru out the day can send you dog's numbers off the chart too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I really appreciate Dr. Doug's explanation of the Science Diet. I, too, never thought it to be good, but I have a better understanding now. But when my Neal had surgery to remove rocks from his stomach and a piece of debris from his intestine, the vet told me to use SD to ease the digestion process, I did as directed. Only when she told me I could change back did I do that. And he did well with it.

With regard to diabetic dogs, my vet also told me that it wasn't as bad an ordeal as humans. He said once you get the dose regulated to what you want it to do, you don't have to do a daily blood test. It's just a shot and go. With regard to diabetic dogs, my vet also told me that it wasn't as bad an ordeal as humans. He said once you get the dose regulated to what you want it to do, you don't have to do a daily blood test. It's just a shot and go.

I love Dobies. Had one years ago. Good luck with yours.

Dale

That's true. They can't go over to a friends house and sneak a little snack or eat a little too much. The only time the WD was mentioned by the vet was when I brought up food. Shelby (Rottweiler by they way) either has an issue with chicken or some grains in foods. We have her on a mix of a light food and a senior food. Shelby sometimes get a dog treat most times after some exercise. She loves vegetables. She will actually take cucumber over a milk bone.

We have a new vet starting in town next week. In the time I have lived here we have only had one here once a week at best. Shelby loves going to the vet. Why you ask. Because she gets to go for a ride in the truck and there are people there. Something about her just brings people to her.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We have 8 dogs and thankfully none are diabetic, we just had given to us a 2 year old Aussie that is really badly over weight so cody is on a diet. I applaud you on taking so good of care for Jackson, all out animals are members of the family and when something goes wrong they go to the Dr. just as we do, I once told my family Doctor that I had not been to medical school and he has so I would listen to him.
We feel the same way about the vet. he went to school and knows his business
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I really appreciate Dr. Doug's explanation of the Science Diet. I, too, never thought it to be good, but I have a better understanding now. But when my Neal had surgery to remove rocks from his stomach and a piece of debris from his intestine, the vet told me to use SD to ease the digestion process, I did as directed. Only when she told me I could change back did I do that. And he did well with it.

With regard to diabetic dogs, my vet also told me that it wasn't as bad an ordeal as humans. He said once you get the dose regulated to what you want it to do, you don't have to do a daily blood test. It's just a shot and go.

I love Dobies. Had one years ago. Good luck with yours.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
13 units isn't a huge dose for that size dog. How long have you been working on the regulation? I've had a bunch of patients that went pretty much as you are describing and when we got to that magic number (dose of insulin) there was a dramatic rapid leveling of glucose levels.

I think the big thing is to keep the communication going with your vet. If things are not going as fast as you want, see if there is an alternative protocol.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell what really worked when you start changing everything at once (diet, insulin dose, insulin type ...) and as long as there isn't a medical reason, the slow path your vet is using yields the best long term success.

She was diagnosed and started on insulin, 10 units 2x a day May 2. We've been feeding the W/D since then, too. We've been faithfully testing, even did a curve one day and we take the records into him to review. He raised her to 12 units, 2x day and then to 13 2x day on Monday, May 18. Her numbers are not lowering. He wants us to test 4-5 hours after her shot and tonight it was 513. We're calling him tomorrow to see if he wants us to be more patient or make a change. That's why we're wondering about the food. We're not going the right direction with the numbers. We're worried, but it is nice to know you've had patients that have been slow to find that balance.

He knows us and our dogs well and knows she gets LOTS of exercise. Pretty sure it's adequate.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
One final thought...talk to your vet about exercise. We walk 3-5 miles a day and that seems to level out her glucose levels. I can tell the difference when we don't get our walks in...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dturm
13 units isn't a huge dose for that size dog. How long have you been working on the regulation? I've had a bunch of patients that went pretty much as you are describing and when we got to that magic number (dose of insulin) there was a dramatic rapid leveling of glucose levels.

I think the big thing is to keep the communication going with your vet. If things are not going as fast as you want, see if there is an alternative protocol.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell what really worked when you start changing everything at once (diet, insulin dose, insulin type ...) and as long as there isn't a medical reason, the slow path your vet is using yields the best long term success.

BTW, I really like the Stewart's treats too.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a side note...our vet recommended the following as a treat for a diabetic pet.

Stewarts

It's available at PetSmart and PetCo but at a greater cost. I give them to Jasmine as a treat, often after her shot. I also used our coffee grinder to pulverize several of these and put the grounds in a shaker. This gives some additional flavor to her food which she seems to enjoy.....Dennis

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Royal Canin diabetic is prescription only. You cannot buy it on-line. Also, you can only find it at PetSmarts that have a Banfield Hospital inside.

Hills Pet is designed for weight control and encourages weight loss, RC does not. Jasmine was losing weight which is why we switched.......Dennis