cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking the dogs with

Famcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We are packing up and going on the road. Just trying to figure out the beat way for the dogs to travel with us.
Any advice would be great.
We have two dogs 50 lbs and 75 lbs. we are debating on kennels in the bed of the truck with or without a soft top. Or harnessed in the bed with cushions and a soft top.
We have two kids in the cab already.
Thanks for any recommendations
35 REPLIES 35

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
Actually, the dogs will be safer in an accident in a well built dog box in the bed of a truck than loose (being thrown around, or ejected) or even in a harness (exposed to flying debris) in the cab of the truck.
Not from a heat standpoint, when this was originally posted are area was experiencing record heat over 100 degrees, big difference in location that you did not consider. I about lost a Collie to stupidity on my part.

Big difference in hauling dogs in a hunting box in the fall compared to the hottest part of summer.
In my mind were people in Texas I know who transport dogs to events all year long.

So many of us seem to forget that humans and dogs/canines have survived for centuries in hot climates long before AC was invented. The keys are shade from the sun, good ventilation (a breeze), low activity, and access to water. If this didnโ€™t work coyotes wouldnโ€™t be able to live in places like Death Valley. The problems to address with dogs in contained spaces (like vehicles or dog boxes) are preventing solar heating (shade from the sun/ good insulation) and good ventilation.

Brachycephalic breeds are another matter when it comes to the environments they can tolerate.

This is not very scientific but it does raise questions on how dog box construction (single wall vs double wall) can impact interior temperature while sitting out in the sun.

Video
The OP inquired about using a truck topper which I have done and will not do again. On returning from my trip I sold the single cab truck and purchased a new crew cab. You can do as you wish but my Collies will never be subject to that again.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
Actually, the dogs will be safer in an accident in a well built dog box in the bed of a truck than loose (being thrown around, or ejected) or even in a harness (exposed to flying debris) in the cab of the truck.
Not from a heat standpoint, when this was originally posted are area was experiencing record heat over 100 degrees, big difference in location that you did not consider. I about lost a Collie to stupidity on my part.

Big difference in hauling dogs in a hunting box in the fall compared to the hottest part of summer.
In my mind were people in Texas I know who transport dogs to events all year long.

So many of us seem to forget that humans and dogs/canines have survived for centuries in hot climates long before AC was invented. The keys are shade from the sun, good ventilation (a breeze), low activity, and access to water. If this didnโ€™t work coyotes wouldnโ€™t be able to live in places like Death Valley. The problems to address with dogs in contained spaces (like vehicles or dog boxes) are preventing solar heating (shade from the sun/ good insulation) and good ventilation.

Brachycephalic breeds are another matter when it comes to the environments they can tolerate.

This is not very scientific but it does raise questions on how dog box construction (single wall vs double wall) can impact interior temperature while sitting out in the sun.

Video
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a motorhome and every time we travel we have the generator going with the air on 99 percent of the time. It can be comfortable inside, but my dog starts panting. We turn on the air conditioner and she stops panting, go figure.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Heat would be a major concern under a topper. To hot out especially without air movement. I carry my two Collies in the A/C crew cab. I about lost a Collie carrying them in a topper to heat stroke. First and last time I did that.

Sliding rear windows fixes this. I have one 60lbs dog that rides in the cab between the wife & I.
I had two sliding windows so no it doesn't fix this. It might have been carbon monoxide that made Andy so sick as DMV Doug has stated and I did have a thermometer in the topper as well. I did see a truck at the Ford dealership that had A/C installed in the bed of the truck specifically for his dog kennels.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I would never put my pets anywhere I wouldn't put the kids.
i think of you put your kids in crates youโ€™d go to jail.:)
I have never put my pets in a crate.:)
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any advice and/or evidence about dogs is worth hearing about. None of it is a waste of time. Thanks for the replies.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Nice extrapolation, too bad that wasnโ€™t the comparison. The comparison was crate belted to seat vs crate on the floor. The quote was provided to show there is more info out there in safely placing crates inside of vehicles. Take the time to look at the crash tests for crates and youโ€™ll see the analogy to the bed of a truck.

If youโ€™re going to willfully ignore some of the research I have found on safely transporting dogs there is no point in waisting my time.

OK, I won't be waisting (sic) your time any more. :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
I would never put my pets anywhere I wouldn't put the kids.

Yes. But it appears you need a bigger truck or semi to accommodate your growing family. :W

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Nice extrapolation, too bad that wasnโ€™t the comparison. The comparison was crate belted to seat vs crate on the floor. The quote was provided to show there is more info out there in safely placing crates inside of vehicles. Take the time to look at the crash tests for crates and youโ€™ll see the analogy to the bed of a truck.

If youโ€™re going to willfully ignore some of the research I have found on safely transporting dogs there is no point in waisting my time.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. So, as I see it, the safest transport is in a crate, INSIDE the vehicle. Kind of what I thought.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
How about some crash test results?

2013 Harness Crash Test Videos

2015 Crate Study Results

Securing Pet Carriers โ€“

While it is intuitive for most people to โ€œbuckle upโ€ their petโ€™s carrier โ€“ DONโ€™T! โ€“ unless the manufacturer provides you with crash test video to illustrate structural integrity. Using a seatbelt to secure a carrier can actually crush the carrier if you get into an accident.

Instead โ€“ put the small carrier on the floor of the vehicle behind the front passenger or driver seat.

Source: Center for Pet Safety
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

Well, OK. I was just remembering an article I read a while ago by Ford and the American Humane Association, but obviously your research turned up something different.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M