cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Goodbye Room"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
So this morning, my Aussiepoo Jimmy took the Final Ride to the Vet. Yes, it the ultimate price our hearts pay in pain, for all the years of love we receive from our pets; and I've done it way too many times, simply because I can't imagine a life without dogs in it.

But this time was a little different: we were taken to a non-exam room (which usually made any of my dogs a bit anxious to start with) that was decorated like a living room, with a bookcase holding cute pet-themed doodads, there were dog treats, soft lighting, and plenty of Kleenex. Soft music was playing. Jimmy received a shot that slowly made him lay down and go to sleep - I had plenty of time to pet him and say the things a dog needs to hear as they leave this world - it was just the two of us. After a few minutes, the Dr came back in and gave the final shot. It was so peaceful and easy.

So I'm sorry a bunch of you are probably grabbing for tissues, because we ALL know this pain. I just wanted to share because the Goodbye Room (my name for it) made things just a bit easier....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
27 REPLIES 27

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Deb and Ed M I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could handle a 10 week puppy on my own.

It's a funny thing - the pup is making me take my own medicine that I dish out so often: "A tired dog is a good dog". So I'm walking a LOT more, and so is Ben, who also needs to get into shape to keep up with a pup. Augie is doing us all a favor 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

Last fall our Greyhound (14 years old) had to be put down. Our vet as well has the Good Bye Room. When I brought our Greyhound in, there was a very young Vet Tech and Veterinarian, also on the quite young side. Both were very professional and compassionate. So much so that they both were crying along with me and I was even asked (by veterinarian) for a hug. While I was very sad to be putting our last Greyhound down, I was happy for the care and compassion I was given. I was allowed all the alone time I needed before leaving. And the Good Bye Room also has a private exit from the facility.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could handle a 10 week puppy on my own.

JJnLilly 7 month old pup isn't to bad I'm sure Lilly took some of the burden of rasing the new pup.

I'm greatful as well my 9 month old Collie Sawyer is helping immensely raise my little 14 week old bundle of energy Collie Sasha.

This thread has kinda evolved into the cycle of life.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
JJnLilly wrote:
Know your pain, Ed and Deb as two weeks ago we had to put our 16 year old mixed whatever-best dog ever to sleep. She's the 'Lilly" in JJn and will be sorely missed but her pain was just too much for us to stand. She did get a chance to do some training with our new puppy, a now 7 month old Mini-Aussi-Doodle.

Oh, I am so sorry 😞 But 16 is a wonderful lifespan for a dog - it's what I had hoped for Jimmy, but diabetes had other plans....
Aussiedoodles are great! All of the intelligence of booth breeds, with about half the drive of an Aussie (which I am being painfully reminded of as I try to supervise a purebred and VERY busy 10-week old Aussie pup)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Know your pain, Ed and Deb as two weeks ago we had to put our 16 year old mixed whatever-best dog ever to sleep. She's the 'Lilly" in JJn and will be sorely missed but her pain was just too much for us to stand. She did get a chance to do some training with our new puppy, a now 7 month old Mini-Aussi-Doodle.

Lilly had left her DNA in more rest areas and campgrounds than we can count. She had her final campfire two weeks before she met the Vet. She always enjoyed being around the campfire with friends.

We are going to leave our ID as it is as a memorial to her.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
One of our Yorkies, most of his life, would not go out the front door at home. Out the back door, inside the fence, was his yard. But if I moved the camper out front to work on it, he would not let us go out the front without him.
When the time came, we where camping in a local state park. The vet came to the park, and Luke's camper was his good-by room.

Oh my goodness! How peaceful it must've been for your little Yorkie.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

When the time came, we where camping in a local state park. The vet came to the park, and Luke's camper was his good-by room.

Wow! Talk about being in your happy place when you pass.... that's so sweet 🙂

Eons ago, at age 19, I had to make that awful decision about my dog I'd had almost all my life. My then-Vet said if I wanted to bury her, to come back the next day and pick her up. Of course I wanted to bury her in her favorite place, my grandparent's cottage, so I borrowed Mom's station wagon, picked up the 60-lb dog (wrapped in a black plastic "body bag"), grabbed some tools I figured I'd need to bury a pet in the woods, and headed north.

About an hour into the drive, I managed to be speeding as I entered a small village...and was quickly pulled over. I gave the officer my ID, insurance, etc... then he noticed what surely looked like a potential crime scene in the back with the body bag/pickax/shovel....and asked "Whatcha got back there?"

Yeah - I just *lost it*.... between sobs I managed to get out "bury dog" and "cottage" out. He took heart to whatever I was saying, asked me to drive safely - and sent me on my way. I think he was torn between wanting to comfort; and laughing his butt off....LOL!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our Yorkies, most of his life, would not go out the front door at home. Out the back door, inside the fence, was his yard. But if I moved the camper out front to work on it, he would not let us go out the front without him.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Try not to feel sadness when you see things that remind you of Jimmy.

Thank you - this might sound crazy but I believe their spirits continue to hang around us, so things that remind me of dogs I've loved, seem reassuring.... My Vet offers to have a pawprint made for Jimmy; plus his cremains will join a few other dogs on my bedroom dresser.

A funny story: Augie is a half-brother to my daughter Lisa's Aussiedoodle. When we picked up Augie, the breeder said that Lisa had told her that "if I (Lisa) die - I want to come back as one of my Mom's dogs" 🙂

I'm glad I'm amongst dog lovers - anyone else would think I'm just batty....

I agree with you on their spirits hanging around. One of my doggies in particular made her presence known for quite awhile. I've also noticed that when we adopt a new dog after looking for sometime, the new dog has certain characteristics of the one we just lost. Pretty sure I'm not imagining things because hubby tells me the same.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reading this makes my eyes leak. I think that my current dog will be my last, but I have said that before. The biggest problem with dogs is that they don't live long enough. Dogs are so loving and loyal, they steal my heart.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Batty no, I loving caring pet owner yes. I consider it the highest compliment when someone tells me if they pass they would like to come back as one of my Collies.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

Thank you - this might sound crazy but I believe their spirits continue to hang around us, so things that remind me of dogs I've loved, seem reassuring.... My Vet offers to have a pawprint made for Jimmy; plus his cremains will join a few other dogs on my bedroom dresser.

A funny story: Augie is a half-brother to my daughter Lisa's Aussiedoodle. When we picked up Augie, the breeder said that Lisa had told her that "if I (Lisa) die - I want to come back as one of my Mom's dogs" 🙂

I'm glad I'm amongst dog lovers - anyone else would think I'm just batty....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As I said earlier I lost two but also added two Collie pups. Sawyer now 10 months old is teaching Sasha 12 weeks the ropes and entertaining her. Without Sawyer Sasha would be a handful.

So glad Ben is taking a interest in Augie. The amount they can teach and entertain a pup is priceless.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013