cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

update on cat peeing everywhere

sharrlan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who gave out positive information.

As it turned out, it wasn't the male kitten that started the peeing issue, but an older spayed female. Since the majority of the inappropriate peeing was happening upstairs, away from all the children, we took the cat that never came downstairs to the vet. She did, in fact, have a UTI, diagnosed by labs. She was given an antibiotic shot and an anti-inflammatory.

Once she stopped peeing everywhere, so did the kitten.

Again, thanks for the positive info.

Moderator, please feel free to lock this thread before it turns into a war of words.
25 REPLIES 25

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
I've heard that dry food is the worst thing you can feed a cat. They don't drink enough water, no matter what you do, so canned is best for them.
Unless it is "Veterinary Dry Diet Urinary SO" prescription food. That has a medication that makes the cat thirsty and want to drink water.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful that whatever fiber you give is just fiber. Look out for sweeteners and flavorings that may not be safe for cats. Walmart makes a capsule with finely ground pure psyllium husks that is easily broken open and a good daily dose.

I would also run blood/urine if constipation is an ongoing issue. Changes in the kidneys, liver ornthyroid or blood sugar issues can all create a tendency to dehydration that may create a tendency to constipation.

Personally I am not a fan of the "keep magnesium away from cats" trend. Magnesium deficiency will often manifest as constipation. Don't ask me how I know!
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
I'm glad that this subject was reopened. We have 3 cats. Sophie, who is about 7 years old, recently started to poop on a rug near the front door. The litter box is in another room.. We keep it clean at all times, changed the litter and when that didn't help we went back to the old litter.. Still didn't help.. She is diffently constipated, so we bought some Laxatone from Petco a couple of days ago. We also added a little tuna fish with oil to her food hoping that would help..

We'll take her to the vet next. Never thought of Metamucil.. Today she used the litter box and seemed to not be so constipated. We'll do whatever it take to solve this problem..She is the sweetest cat and we love her, so we have to fix this problem..

Barb

What really sucks is when they can't complete a bowel movement and they drag their butt on the carpet to get it all out of them. Yuck!

The laxatone helps, we use that too. But we found the stuff they sell at Petco is watered down or something. We had to keep it in the fridge to keep it semi-paste like. We buy ours from the Vet. Its actually cheaper and works better and stays paste like without refrigeration. Also the Laxatone will cause them to urinate more. So don't panic if the litter box has a lot of wet litter in it.

The vet is the one that told us to use the Metamucil. I was skeptical. We were using canned pumpkin. Very effective, but cats hate it. Turns out the Metamucil is really easy to give them. You can sprinkle the Metamucil on some wet food and they have no clue. Plus, because its fiber, it won't hurt them. You can't accidentally give them too much. We bought a generic version of it. Very inexpensive.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Barb, do you feed canned food? I've heard that dry food is the worst thing you can feed a cat. They don't drink enough water, no matter what you do, so canned is best for them.

We do keep dry food next to their water bowl, but once a day they get wet food.. Sophie is too fat but the problem is, that the other two are healthy and at a good weight. They are all rescues and the oldest one must have had only dry food.. She eats very little canned food..

Three cats with different eating habits are a challenge..

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I find that a 1/4 teaspoon or so of psyllium husk powder mixed with wet food keeps the hairballs to a minimum. It presumably encourages regularity, but that was never an issue, so I don't know for sure. But it is a big help with hairballs.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

DonNH
Explorer
Explorer
We lost a cat several years ago from mega colon - a severe form of constipation in which the muscles of the large intestine stop functioning to keep things moving.
Later, our other cat started having constipation problems, so we were pretty concerned.
Our vet advised us to put 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax in his wet food every day. No problems since then.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
I've heard that dry food is the worst thing you can feed a cat.
I don't find any legitimate sites that mention anything like that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Barb, do you feed canned food? I've heard that dry food is the worst thing you can feed a cat. They don't drink enough water, no matter what you do, so canned is best for them.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad that this subject was reopened. We have 3 cats. Sophie, who is about 7 years old, recently started to poop on a rug near the front door. The litter box is in another room.. We keep it clean at all times, changed the litter and when that didn't help we went back to the old litter.. Still didn't help.. She is diffently constipated, so we bought some Laxatone from Petco a couple of days ago. We also added a little tuna fish with oil to her food hoping that would help..

We'll take her to the vet next. Never thought of Metamucil.. Today she used the litter box and seemed to not be so constipated. We'll do whatever it take to solve this problem..She is the sweetest cat and we love her, so we have to fix this problem..

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

sharrlan
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Not sure why this would be so controversial. This is always worth looking into as there can be so many different causes, most of them easy to fix or deal with. Glad you were able to figure it out.

We have an older cat who frequently pees outside the litter box. It took a while to figure out, but the ultimate cause was constipation. He's in pain, so he can't always squat in the box. He stands on the edges of the box with rear hanging outside, then he pees. Not fun. We give him Metamucil twice a day in wet food now and it helps a lot. And we keep those doggy training pads under the litter box and a plastic sheet under that. Makes for easy cleanup when he does pee outside the box.

I will have to remember this one. We had that issue with another cat a few years ago. She peed in the litter box but pooped on the floor next to it. She ended up having a stroke and we put her to sleep.

sharrlan
Explorer
Explorer
Free Range Human wrote:
And since you reopened this topic (thank you! Was very glad to see you didn't take the stupid advice of the folks who simply don't understand cats): No cat has EVER suffocated a baby! That's urban legend. So to the poster who swore it was true, happened to someone he knew, they found the cat sitting on the baby's chest, ya-da-ya-da-ya-da: Never happened.

That's like the one I hear every few years about a child being kidnapped at Disneyland and the person cutting and dying the child's hair in the bathroom. My next door neighbor's sister-in-law's best friend had it happen to her child. Really????????? Never happened!

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
And since you reopened this topic (thank you! Was very glad to see you didn't take the stupid advice of the folks who simply don't understand cats): No cat has EVER suffocated a baby! That's urban legend. So to the poster who swore it was true, happened to someone he knew, they found the cat sitting on the baby's chest, ya-da-ya-da-ya-da: Never happened.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
There are always going to be people who are both cruel and irresponsible and make the kind of suggestions seen recently. I just say a little prayer for their kids to dump them in a really bad nursing home when they start to become inconvenient.

Providing medical care is a basic respinsibility of having a pet. Period. There is no excuse for suggesting that someone should "get rid of" a cat in lieu of a vet vis
But in this case, Sharrlan not only did the right thing in getting vet care, but did some better than average sleuthing, as well.
susan

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why this would be so controversial. This is always worth looking into as there can be so many different causes, most of them easy to fix or deal with. Glad you were able to figure it out.

We have an older cat who frequently pees outside the litter box. It took a while to figure out, but the ultimate cause was constipation. He's in pain, so he can't always squat in the box. He stands on the edges of the box with rear hanging outside, then he pees. Not fun. We give him Metamucil twice a day in wet food now and it helps a lot. And we keep those doggy training pads under the litter box and a plastic sheet under that. Makes for easy cleanup when he does pee outside the box.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)