cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update on Cat with Skin and Hair Issues

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
Scarlett the cat saw a new vet yesterday. She has a bacterial infection and possible food allergies. She was treated with a steroid shot, an antibiotic shot, and placed on a one-protein food. The cat is already feeling better and is scratching a lot less than she was. Thanks to everyone who responded and a special thanks to Dr. Doug. My sister is following every recommendation to the letter.
Dale & paulette Crouse
6 REPLIES 6

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Also do some research on the BARF (biologically appropriate raw food) diet. It's been known to solve many issue such as this one.

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
It's so nice to hear GOOD news. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad that she's feeling better. Sometimes it pays to get a second opinion.:w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
crouseman41 wrote:
Scarlett the cat saw a new vet yesterday. She has a bacterial infection and possible food allergies. She was treated with a steroid shot, an antibiotic shot, and placed on a one-protein food. The cat is already feeling better and is scratching a lot less than she was. Thanks to everyone who responded and a special thanks to Dr. Doug. My sister is following every recommendation to the letter.
Good news that you found an answer. Hope your pet feel better.:C

I'd remove all food that contain any dyes in them. And don't forget any treats too. Thankfully there are now plenty of options of dye free pet food available on the shelves.

Removing all food that had any dyes, wheat, corn and using dog food that had only one protein food chicken is what saved my pet.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

FWIW -- Bacterial infections are common in pets with skin issues. They're itchy (usually due to an allergy of some sort) and so they scratch. The scratching damages the skin and allows bacteria that is normally present on the skin to proliferate. That in turn makes them even itchier. So it's a vicious cycle. But the bacterial infection isn't usually the root cause. I hope the food change solves the problem.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
great, thanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman