cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with the cats

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine just inherited a Class-B and now wants to spend substantial time in it traveling around America. She wants to bring a couple of cats along, I'm wondering what one does with the cats when you want to go off and explore a city or go on a hike somewhere or go to a restaurant,leaving the cats in the van i think is not an option and bringing the cats with you every where you go would be awkward and inconvenient on many occasions, should she just forget about bringing the cats?

Thanks
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."
8 REPLIES 8

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
:S Must read the OP more closely. Would still go with window screens though. Could use the generator set and a/c if it could be checked periodically. Get a dog to guard the van and cats (That I have done!).
Currently Between RVs

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If she's using the B to move around while she's camping then she wouldn't be able to leave the cats in the B while parked somewhere in a hot area w/o running the genset and AC.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Man did I interpret the title of this thread wrong.
I was going to suggest a light cream sauce.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a good idea to leave them closed up with the a/c going as we learned from having the park transformer die while we were gone. Leave windows with screens fully open. You may still be able to get metal-framed screens that fit the driver and passenger door windows. You just stick them in the window tracks and roll up the windows a little to retain them. A couple of fans to stir up the air will help too.
Currently Between RVs

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled with ours for 9 yrs now. As jambo101 said, remember the heat. We have been staying in RV parks for that very reason. If it gets over 80 deg. during the day, we leave the A/C on when we explore.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Cats are pretty self sufficient, we leave ours home when we camp. They can go at least 3 days alone before we have someone check on them. Leave them enough food and a clean litter pan. Just make sure that if traveling with them and you leave them in the vehichle that it isn't to hot out if it is make sure to keep it cool inside.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

jambo101
Explorer
Explorer
I had a camper van a long time ago and one thing i remember is how hot it would get during the day,even with the windows cracked a bit i think temperatures would rise to the extent it would kill the cats.

Nice bus Roadpilot
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the cats with a box and kitty litter. We left ours all the time. If gone for a long time leave a little food.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S