cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

01 Winn Journey air pump

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
On my 01 journey I have what sounds like an air pump in the front compartment coming on about every 30 seconds, it has a hose that comes out that goes to a softball sized tank, another smaller hose comes out of that and disappears toward the dash.Thought it could be for the air horns, always assumed they got air from the compressor for the air brakes, anybody have any ideas I'm stumped.Thanks jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP
5 REPLIES 5

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found the problem,after replacing the canister ,still kept running.took the dash apart,found nothing there.started digging around in the front compartment and sure enough there it was a dry rotted piece of tubing,cut out the bad part and works like a charm now.Once again the vast and unpaid research department came through with a lot of help.Thanks again jg

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vacuumm pump
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote Dorman about the size, reply was 156mm about 6-1/8 inches.

The Dorman is the only popular aftermarket tank. If it fits it's the one to get. Others start at about 3x the price, and a sphere is the perfect way to store vacuum or pressure.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Looks similar, the pump is electric,when I unplug the hose it runs continuously.Will look at it this morning.Thanks for the info. jg

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If your chassis uses vacuum powered controls for your Heat/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC) system, then a Diesel probably uses an Electric Vacuum Pump to provide the vacuum for those controls. This is the most popular automotive vacuum reserve tank/reserve reservoir on the planet.
There are two models: Dorman 47076 has a built-in check valve. Purpose of check valve is to retain maximum vacuum in the reservoir if the source vacuum (which I think is a pump in your case) reduces or stops. This happens in gas engine vehicles when the throttle plate opens. Dorman 47077 has no check valve and at least with gas engines it needs an external check valve. If you have such a reservoir and it's cracked, one of the two Dorman models should fix your problem. 47076 has two connectors and 47077 has only one.
Your pump should run only occasionally. If it runs continuously or cycles often, something's leaking.
On gas engine vehicles, the problem is often BEFORE the actual HVAC control panel in the dashboard.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB