cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100 a/h Lithium Battery for $21?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this ad this morning, a 4-pack of 12v 100 a/h lithium batteries for $82.99. So 400 a/h when linked in parallel.

Our new-to-us 5er is a 2008 model, so I'm aready planning new electronics, converter, inverter, etc. I was going to go with 4 of these GC-2 6v batteries, but a set of 4 would give me 420 a/h and cost $672 plus tax. Am I right that the lithium don't need to be vented like the golf carts would?
36 REPLIES 36

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a newbie at all, they set the prices so low so people will be less inclined to pursue getting their money returned. The hope is people will just write it off, and not bother. There was never any intention to ship anything, so any money they don't have to give back is gravy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
lem55 wrote:
NOT a real costco website.

Bingo.
Gotta love the Costco corporate contact info:
Contact us

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We would love to hear from you, contact us on:

Email:undeodwehnclaynad@gmail.com

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Four pages in??โ€ฆWould even make P.T. Barnum enviousโ€ฆI suppose a sign of the times - lol

3 tons

lem55
Explorer
Explorer
NOT a real costco website. Beware Scam

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
otrfun,

I'll never have Li unless it is Li titinate, which I can not afford.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
BurbMan,

Write them and ask the parameters of the battery management system.

Here is a link to a pdf from them.

himaxelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/HiMASSi-Battery-Manual.pdf
I remember the learning curve when we built our lifepo4 pack. Assembling it was relatively easy. Fine-tuning, programming, calibrating the BMS much more difficult. One wrong setting has the potential to permanently damage all the cells.

The "best" BMS settings are always a hotly debated item on any battery/solar forum. On top of that, one discovers the best settings are worthless if the BMS doesn't implement them properly. There's the settings/parameters on paper, then there's the realworld. That's what makes Will Prowse so popular. He has the resources to test so many of these things. Sometimes they meet specs/parameters, sometimes they don't. Nice to find out on a YT video, rather than first-hand.

I feel for the OP, or anybody in the early stages of transitioning to lifepo4. It's a bit of a learning curve. So many options. A number of things to consider.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan,

Write them and ask the parameters of the battery management system.

Here is a link to a pdf from them.

himaxelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/HiMASSi-Battery-Manual.pdf
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Thoughts on this battery?
The weak point in most of the these budget lifepo4 batteries is the BMS. Both from a capability and reliability perspective. BMS's probably fail much more often than the cells themselves.

The lifepo4 battery in your link (12v 100ah) is only capable of producing 50a of continuous current. They got the price down cutting-corners with the BMS and the wiring. Even two of these cells paralleled will only provide you with 100a of continuous current. That's not enough to power a microwave or other high current device with a 2000w inverter. Two 100ah lifepo4 batteries, capable of 100a of continuous current, paralleled, would be the minimum I'd use to power a 2000w inverter.

Of course, if your power needs will remain minimal, now and in the future, then this 100ah 50a battery might be worth considering. Me, I'd pass.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thoughts on this battery?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
otrfun wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

LFP are not subject to thermal runaway like nicad and other chemistries.
It is only more difficult. It can, and does happen.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/er.5298While it is unusual here is what may happen.

https://youtu.be/07BS6QY3wI8

All battery banks should be vented to the outside.
IMO, it's important to put both of these links into context.

I believe the wiley.com link references a minor amount of thermal runaway (caused by overcharging) where damage is completely limited to the inside of the battery. The user may see the top "vent" rupture, but nothing more. I would surmise if a typical non-phosphate, lithium battery was subjected to the same overcharging, it would very likely explode and/or erupt in flames. Huge difference IMO.

I've seen this YT video before. To me this is akin to someone purposely puncturing a gas tank on a vehicle and having it explode or catch fire. It can happen, but . . .

Will Prowse at diysolarforum.com was the OP for a thread titled: "Can LiFePO4 Batteries Combust in Thermal Runaway Event?" One of his comments after someone posted a link to the above YT video: "The electrolyte is flammable. If a cell is physically damaged, you can catch it on fire. But for an exothermic reaction to occur to cause combustion, from the literature I've read, is impossible with lifepo4 . . . to have combustion caused internally, is impossible."

Lastly, I'm not aware of any external venting requirements for lifepo4. Do you have any supporting links that explain why this would be necessary? Thx.

also if you look at that second video the bottom foot or so of the pic is wet, so he has dipped it in somthing that increases the reaction with the battery. I have seen several puncture tests where nothing happens so I am wondering if this is why he got the smoke.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
A properly built system with LFP being charged/ discharged within the parameters of the chemistry should be safe even inside a trailer from venting.

Now with that said if your cheap skate that's using bargin price parts of the system to try and save a quarter then maybe Mr Murphy will come and visit.

As far as the one video don't harpoon your batteries in the bedroom and it shouldn't be a problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
otrfun,

Murphy's Law.

I believe it is best practice for any and all battery banks to be vented. It may be best to plan for worst case. It's not an expensive thing to do.

For that matter, AGM batteries rather rarely vent.
Ok, venting all batteries is your personal preference. No problem with that.

I only posed the question because because Iโ€™ve seen a number of installs by very reputable firms where they mounted LifePo4โ€™s in the heated, interior space of RVโ€™s, to include sleeping areas, without any venting whatsoever. Everything Iโ€™ve read or heard about lifepo4โ€™s say itโ€™s safe to do so.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
otrfun,

Murphy's Law.

I believe it is best practice for any and all battery banks to be vented. It may be best to plan for worst case. It's not an expensive thing to do.

For that matter, AGM batteries rather rarely vent.
Regards, Don

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

LFP are not subject to thermal runaway like nicad and other chemistries.
It is only more difficult. It can, and does happen.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/er.5298While it is unusual here is what may happen.

https://youtu.be/07BS6QY3wI8

All battery banks should be vented to the outside.
IMO, it's important to put both of these links into context.

I believe the wiley.com link references a minor amount of thermal runaway (caused by overcharging) where damage is completely limited to the inside of the battery. The user may see the top "vent" rupture, but nothing more. I would surmise if a typical non-phosphate, lithium battery was subjected to the same overcharging, it would very likely explode and/or erupt in flames. Huge difference IMO.

I've seen this YT video before. To me this is akin to someone purposely puncturing a gas tank on a vehicle and having it explode or catch fire. It can happen, but . . .

Will Prowse at diysolarforum.com was the OP for a thread titled: "Can LiFePO4 Batteries Combust in Thermal Runaway Event?" One of his comments after someone posted a link to the above YT video: "The electrolyte is flammable. If a cell is physically damaged, you can catch it on fire. But for an exothermic reaction to occur to cause combustion, from the literature I've read, is impossible with lifepo4 . . . to have combustion caused internally, is impossible."

Lastly, I'm not aware of any external venting requirements for lifepo4. Do you have any supporting links that explain why this would be necessary? Thx.