cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt issue?

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 maxair fans and one of the 12 volt tvs shut down for several minutes then power restores by itself.
Any ideas what could cause this. The rest of 12 volt powered devices remain operational.
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
OK I have been a RV tech for 44 years. NEVER heard of a 12 volt tvs. AND what this has to do with the Maxxair fans? I would assume 12 volt Television, but those have not been made in over 30 years. OP Please explain further. Doug

I'm an trained electronics technician got my Certification early 1970
s I've owned multiple 12 volt TV's and still have 2 of them

one is technically a 14.5 volt (Samsung) Uses a power brick to make 4.5 volts give or take. works fine on 12 volt house power normally but will cut out if the voltage drops.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I stated 30 years ago. NO RV maker installs a 12 volt TV in a new RV and have not for over 25 years. Yes, you can find them, but 120 volt LCD is the cheapest best way to go. Doug

You'd be wrong. Quite a few newer RVs come with factory 12v only tvs.
I'm a moderator on a very large RV forum and see it quite often.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
I stated 30 years ago. NO RV maker installs a 12 volt TV in a new RV and have not for over 25 years. Yes, you can find them, but 120 volt LCD is the cheapest best way to go. Doug

hmmm.. my 2016 cougar 330RBK came with a 12V flat screen in the bunk room, with an external power converter to reduce the 120 to 12V. (you know the kind you use to charge a cell phone but 13V 3amp output...)

I can also power it 12V directly with a different cord I bought that plugs into a cigarette lighter and just has a buck converter built into it to keep the 12V power at exactly 12V with no variation.

most of those newer big screens in your home are also 12V just using a converter to change the 120V to a constant filtered 12V
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
My2022 Northern Lite truck camper came with a 12 volt TV. Also a 12 volt DVD player. It works great. Don't need an inverter now just to watch TV or a DVD movie.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
doughrainer with respect 2005 is not 30 years ago.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would expect that power filtering, regardless of the power source, is much better than 30-40 years ago. Not a difficult task.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Your modern 120v LCD is actually DC (might not be 12v). Just like your laptop can be plugged into a 120v wall socket, the first thing it does is convert the power to DC.

Yes, but 12 volt TV's have had interference problems from the rest of a RV 12 volt system. Plus, one problem years ago was the SIZE of 12 volt TV's. Now, you get up to 32 inch. BUT, as I stated, depending on the RV's 12 volt system and charging system you may get interference. THIS is why RV makers 25 years ago went to 120 only CRT Tv's and then LCD Tv's. Doug

PS. Most 12 volt LCD's draw 30 to 50 watts DC power. With good Solar, not a problem

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
With more and more new RVs coming solar ready I suspect you will see more and more new RVs with 12 volt TVs so no dc to ac and back to dc power conversion required when off grid.

Some of the new TVs run either directly from 12 vdc or from a 120 vac wall brick.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dougrainer wrote:

Your modern 120v LCD is actually DC (might not be 12v). Just like your laptop can be plugged into a 120v wall socket, the first thing it does is convert the power to DC.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Check your fuse panel and confirm if they are all on the same circuit. It may have an auto reset breaker instead of a fuse. They look similar at first glance; but a fuse will have a visible fusible link.

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear, I have a 2022 Sunseeker ts2370 and it is equipped with 2 12 volt tvs and solar panels as well.all factory installed. You can verify this by getting on Forest River website. The one tv shuts down along with 2 fans and resets itself minutes later.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 12volt tv in my 2005 PW Excel.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi dougrainer,

My 1987 Citation Supreme had a 12 volt TV. It was quite power hungry.

I do have an autoreset circuit breaker--and to test it I turned on everything. It was off for a couple of minutes. I have never had it trip in normal use.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.