cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 AC and ducting questions

t-smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5th wheel - Shasta Phoenix 355fbx (same model number for Coachmen as well).

The unit has 2 AC units from the factory.

The layout is front bunk room, moving back is bath, downstairs is living room, then finally master bed and master bath at the very rear.

The front bunk room gets little air. I taped up the insides on the AC units but decided to go with an RV Airflow insert.

Once I installed the one, I realized something. The living room AC is ducted to front and back. Left side goes front to 6 vents (3 living room, 1 front bath, 2 front bunkhouse), right side goes rear (to 3 vents, 2 in master bed and 1 in master bath)

The master bed AC serves those same 3 vents on its right side and the left side serves 2 vents, both in master bed.

Iโ€™ll attach a drawing as well. What I didnโ€™t realize is that the living and front areas are only served by 1 side of the living room AC. So my thought is that I should just block off the right side completely, and allow that AC to server only the left side (living room and front vents).

This would leave the master bed AC to server the rear vents.

I know they did this because the master bed AC was optional and this is how a single would have served the entire unit.

Is this a good idea? I canโ€™t imagine a scenario where I would only be using a single AC unit. (Furious with the dual zone thermostat)

If I block it, my options are remove the RV airflow and just seal the one side off, or modify the RV Airflow so it directs everything to the one side (this would prob result in better airflow)

2018 F250 CCLB
2012 Grey Wolf 28BH
1 REPLY 1

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
So you want to block off the right side ducting of the front AC. I'm assuming on the right side where it comes out of the AC unit. This would separate the two units instead of them sharing trying to cool the entire trailer. Will it work with half blocked off and not damage your AC? The answer is maybe.

You are going to have to get the make and model of both AC units. Look up their install manuals and there will be a spec of the minimum venting surface area. Then it gets fun. You need to calculate how much venting area is left by the remaining vents.

Not seeing your system my gut feeling is it will work just fine assuming 6 inch round vents. But if the system uses some tiny little vents then yes it might be restricted.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup