Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Atwood Water Heater Cycling

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang,

I am, admittedly behind on water heater maintenance. A family health emergency has put me in a position where I hope to address this problem quickly and then do more thorough maintenance when I get caught up. Hoping you can help me pinpoint the most likely culprit.

The propane water heater is a striker fired 10 gallon unit. Sometimes it works fine. Others it fires upโ€ฆ then after 10 to 20 seconds I can hear the flame begin to fade until the valve abruptly shuts off. Repeat a half dozen or so times until it finally gives up and the red light on the panel lights up. I cycle the switch and the whole process begins againโ€ฆ occasionally completing the heating cycle without the red light coming on.

I know there are several causes of water heater problems, but these symptoms sure seem specific to me.

Thoughts?
Cheers,
Kendall
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Is the Water Heater in a slide room? Doug

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Check the connector on the WH circuit board. Make sure it is clean and not corroded.
Check the ground connections on the propane valve. Grounds are hidden somewhat on mounting bracket screw.

Wilco

Thanks!
Cheers,
Kendall

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the connector on the WH circuit board. Make sure it is clean and not corroded.
Check the ground connections on the propane valve. Grounds are hidden somewhat on mounting bracket screw.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Light your Stove /Range burners. ALL of them and see what type of flame you get with all running. If they do not have a good blue flame, your LP regulator is bad. It also appears you may have an empty LP tank. Doug

Thanks Doug, but nope. Full tank and beautiful blue flames all around. Fridge works great on gas too.
Cheers,
Kendall

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Light your Stove /Range burners. ALL of them and see what type of flame you get with all running. If they do not have a good blue flame, your LP regulator is bad. It also appears you may have an empty LP tank. Doug