cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2008 Roadtrek Versatile 190 mystery battery

Rdwrer
Explorer
Explorer
I am having various electrical issues in my Roadtrek, but before I post about those, there seems to be a third battery in the vehicle that I'd like to find. I disconnected the chassis battery and the coach battery, and somehow, lights in the back (overhead light above the kitchen and bed) still come on.
I bought the rv second hand, and the previous owner has done some great modifications, but I haven't come across any mention of this other battery in the documentation. Any ideas appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When I work on any RV that at first you cannot find the battery, I look for this on the sidewall or van side. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-3300-Battery-Box-Louver-White/dp/B00HSO0EY8/ref=asc_df_B00HSO0EY...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
^That sounds like the perfect candidate for a sealed AGM or gell battery - i.e., doesn't require adding water occasionally or cleaning corrosion off the terminals, and can be tucked away in just about any dark corner.

Remember, you have to make SURE the Coach Converter system can charge AGM/Gel batteries correctly. Doug

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
^That sounds like the perfect candidate for a sealed AGM or gell battery - i.e., doesn't require adding water occasionally or cleaning corrosion off the terminals, and can be tucked away in just about any dark corner.

Rdwrer
Explorer
Explorer
FOUND IT!!
Turns out there is another drawer behind the passenger-side rear wheel. There is no panel "flap" like for the one just behind the side access door, you have to take off the panel altogether to get at it. That battery hasn't been maintained at all in the 4 or 5 years since I got it, so it's now being replaced. Fingers crossed, that solves the other issues...Thanks all!

Rdwrer
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it's a Chevy chassis, 3500. The batteries are as you described, Bob: chassis under the hood, and coach behind the side entrance door, passenger side, in the drawer.

I guess I'm happy to hear you had a phantom battery too, though if I can't find it, it'll potentially make troubleshooting more difficult.

(If you happen to remember the user "senf" in this forum, it was his and his DW's vehicle. I've searched his posts for any reference to adding a battery but no luck. He references "batteries" a couple of times, but does not list them in the mods in his signature)

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
State WHERE your Chassis battery and your COACH battery are located. Also Brand of chassis. Mercedes or Ford. Mercedes can have 2 chassis batteries. One under the front hood on drivers side and the other under the drivers seat floor board. Then the coach battery is located in the rear area, under the chassis by the hitch. Doug

I believe that Roadtrek only used Mercedes and Chevy chassis in 2008 and the Versatile 190 was Chevy 3500 based, as was my 2010 210 Popular. (PleasureWay used Mercedes and Ford mainly with a mirror image floor plan to Roadtrek.) The coach batteries are located on the passenger side in a pull out drawer rear of the side entrance door. The chassis battery is located in the engine compartment.

For what it's worth I saw the same "issue" with my 210 Popular and ever located where the phantom power was coming from.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
State WHERE your Chassis battery and your COACH battery are located. Also Brand of chassis. Mercedes or Ford. Mercedes can have 2 chassis batteries. One under the front hood on drivers side and the other under the drivers seat floor board. Then the coach battery is located in the rear area, under the chassis by the hitch. Doug

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a sprinter and there could be one under the passenger seat.