cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 ram 2500 heavy duty

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
it seems my truck isn't charging my camper batteries.its plugged into the 7 pin,all the lights work but o charge even after driving 3 to 400 kms.is it a relay? some kind of dealer reset thing?i'd really appreciate some info from a 4th generation ram owner with some firsthand knowledge before i take it to the dealer.thanks.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat
5 REPLIES 5

Lazydude
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the integrated controller and towing mirrors you have the towing package. Check the 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment to see if it's blowen. The inside of the lid on the fuse box will tell you which one is the trailer fuse. If its ok you will have to test the charging wire on the 7 pin connecter then at the batterys if that is ok.
2018 Jayco Eagle 320RLTS
2012 Dodge CTD 6.7 3500 SRW Longhorn

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
how do i know if it has the tow package?it has the integrated trailer brake and tow mirrors,but i don't know if they are standard equipment.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Lazydude
Explorer
Explorer
If it does not have the towing package on the Ram you will have to add the 40 amp fuse. It will be in a black fuse box in the engine compartment and will be clearly marked.
2018 Jayco Eagle 320RLTS
2012 Dodge CTD 6.7 3500 SRW Longhorn

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The RAM should have constant battery voltage at the charge pin all the time and it comes with the fuses installed.
I would check the manual for a fuse number and location. Hopefully it isn't going through the TIPM. If it is, I would wire around it.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am not familiar with Ram charge setup, but some others, you need to add a fuse under the hood to activate the charge line.

You should be able to check at the 7-pin connect, to see if a charge/battery line has power. My Ford, the truck needs to be running, for battery wire to be live.

If your camper battery is low, it will take quite a while, for the truck to charge it.

Jerry