cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2nd fuse panel????

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a second fuse panel to allow the use of more power for one camper? I can out pace any 30amp service in the summer with A/C use, electric fridge and water heat. I would like install a second panel and split up the loads to the separate boxes. It would be easy to wire, just double up on a fuse output. All I would need to do when I wanted to have double power is open up a breaker and plug in the second box. If I screwed up on the breaker position the fuse would just trip. I carry a spare 50' 30amp cord already, so the weight gained would be minor.
MM49
6 REPLIES 6

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about adding a second 30A service and still may do that. I just installed a 20A inlet, ran it to a double pole breaker to protect the wire from the inlet to the breaker and then to a couple of outlets in the living area. I like the idea of running two 30A panels off the 50A outlet. The only drawback would be if you go to places that have 30a but not 50A serve, so you wouldn't want to put essential appliances on the second panel and risk not being able to use it. In my case, we always go to CGs that have full service electric, so that's not an issue.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
MM49 wrote:
Has anyone installed a second fuse panel to allow the use of more power for one camper? I can out pace any 30amp service in the summer with A/C use, electric fridge and water heat. I would like install a second panel and split up the loads to the separate boxes. It would be easy to wire, just double up on a fuse output. All I would need to do when I wanted to have double power is open up a breaker and plug in the second box. If I screwed up on the breaker position the fuse would just trip. I carry a spare 50' 30amp cord already, so the weight gained would be minor.
MM49

Several years ago I upgraded my single 30A electrical to a full dual 30A system and I use a dual 30A to 50A custom dogbone with weatherproof in service boxes to feed my two 30A power cords. One of the best mods I did and the cost was less than IIRC $150. Pictures and details in the captions including costs and where I got the parts are in THIS ALBUM.

Not quite as good as a full 50A service, but at about 1/4 of that cost well worth it IMO.

Larry

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like modification is well worth the work. It also sounds like there is many way to implement the circuits. In Michigan most of the campgrounds have either double service boxes or the next campsite is close. I do a lot of late season hunting and would certainly like the extra KW. The double dog bone is a good idea
MM49

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
MM49

Several years ago I upgraded my single 30A electrical to a full dual 30A system and I use a dual 30A to 50A custom dogbone with weatherproof in service boxes to feed my two 30A power cords. One of the best mods I did and the cost was less than IIRC $150. Pictures and details in the captions including costs and where I got the parts are in THIS ALBUM.

Not quite as good as a full 50A service, but at about 1/4 of that cost well worth it IMO.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It would be cheaper and easier to just run the cords in via the shore power door and use a #12 wire for each. Then connect each one to a good quality female outlet rated at 20 amps. That will allow up to 20 amps per cord--no need for a separate breaker panel. It is unusual to find a pedestal with two 30 amp outlets--but common to find a 30 and one or two 15 amp outlets.

Because my power center is under the bed it was easy to access the breaker panel and put the appropriate male and female plugs in place.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi mm49,

I "broke out" the wire for the hot water heater from the main breaker box and added two outlets. I also added an outlet for the oem 30 amp, so I can switch from OEM to auxiliary in about ten seconds.

It worked so well that I added a 2nd auxiliary shore power cord for just the converter--which also included 2 extra outlets.

Now, when I'm at a campground I can run up to 30 amps oem, 20 amps first auxiliary, and 15 amps second auxiliary shore power cords.

It is very useful when I boondock with power outlets in places such as Church parking lots (with permission, of course) because then I can run three 15 amp shore power cords.

I use these mods a lot in winter time to run extra electric heaters.

Thanks, That is exactly what I plan on doing. I want to add the second box with a 30 amp plug and use the 30 amp-50' cord.

MM49

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mm49,

I "broke out" the wire for the hot water heater from the main breaker box and added two outlets. I also added an outlet for the oem 30 amp, so I can switch from OEM to auxiliary in about ten seconds.

It worked so well that I added a 2nd auxiliary shore power cord for just the converter--which also included 2 extra outlets.

Now, when I'm at a campground I can run up to 30 amps oem, 20 amps first auxiliary, and 15 amps second auxiliary shore power cords.

It is very useful when I boondock with power outlets in places such as Church parking lots (with permission, of course) because then I can run three 15 amp shore power cords.

I use these mods a lot in winter time to run extra electric heaters.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.